SPIDF Passthrough bug windows 7

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

Sirandar 888

SPIDF Passthrough bug windows 7

Post by Sirandar 888 »

MM3 1297 is capable of outputting to a SPIDF Passthrough device (in my case Auzentech) and as such can upmix stereo MP3s to Dolby PLII. The SPIDF passthrough device is selected in the MM3 Directsound Output plugin. It sounds pretty good.

Unfortuantely MM3 doesn't play nice and sometimes causes windows7 to get locked into the Dolby PLII state. The sound card then refuses to accept any commands from any software including the Windows 7 and C-media audio control applets, until a loggoff or reboot. Makes SPIDF passthrough useless. Using the normal speaker driver there doesn't appear to be any way to get MM3 to upmix to Dolby PLII.

Since MM3 can do this most of the time and Windows 7 Media Center does it right all of the time, there must be some bug or incompatibity in MM3s handling of SPIDF passthough.
Peke

Re: SPIDF Passthrough bug windows 7

Post by Peke »

Have you tried ASIO and WASAPI Winamp Plugins to directly send bit perfect sound which can be then upmixed?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Sirandar 888

Post by Sirandar 888 »

Peke wrote:Have you tried ASIO and WASAPI Winamp Plugins to directly send bit perfect sound which can be then upmixed?
Thanks for the advice Peke

I am aware of the ASIO plugin but have been reluctant to try it because it may not have been tested much with MM3. Does anyone have this working? Also, with this plugin can you still control volume at the PC side ....... I don't like messing with 2 remotes.

Sirnadar
Peke

Post by Peke »

Based on users feedback it is trial and Miss (eg. for some it works for some do not work as expected) :(
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Sirandar 888

Post by Sirandar 888 »

From the OP

Actually I found quite by accident that MM3 can output Dolby PLII without the SPIDF Passthough on an Auzentech Meridian sound card.

Simply set the MM3 output plugin to speaker (not passthrough) and set the C-MEDIA audio control applet to PCM not Dolby Digital. (opposite to how XP does it)

Maybe this results in less range but I can`t hear any difference from passthough, and it is stable and allows volume control at the PC

Works perfectly ....... but after doing a little bit of listening most music sounds better in Stereo with a volume increase to compansate for less speakers OR straight DD.

I am not sure why DD sounds better playing 2.1 than just PCM.

I failed the Monkey Test 20x to post this
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Sirandar 888 wrote: I failed the Monkey Test 20x to post this
Register and you don't have to endure the CAPTCHA to post.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
sirandar

Post by sirandar »

I registered years ago but I could never post once I logged in ...... it would tell me the username was already in use.

They have fixed whatever problem there was since the last time I tried.

Thanks for reminding me about logging in.

nohitter151 wrote:
Sirandar 888 wrote: I failed the Monkey Test 20x to post this
Register and you don't have to endure the CAPTCHA to post.
Peace through music
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

sirandar wrote:I registered years ago but I could never post once I logged in ...... it would tell me the username was already in use.
That means that you tried to post as "sirandar" without actually logging in.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.