Wav -> flac Conversion NOT lossless!

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

superaki

Wav -> flac Conversion NOT lossless!

Post by superaki »

I use mediamonkey for converting my files to flac for lossless storage, but I converted some back to wav and found that the size was different from the original, I checked in foobar whether they were bit perfect, and no, there was a difference in length. I think this s&*^& real hard because if there was a situation I had to rely on my flacs then my collection would be totally messed up. This issue nearly makes me move away from mediamonkey... why mediamonkey, why?
superaki

Re: Wav -> flac Conversion NOT lossless!

Post by superaki »

strange thing is that only that file had a difference.. maybe a different rip, but what remains is that the wav>flac>wav'd have 20 kb less size or so.. How can that be? metadata is only a few bytes big I think?
Sandra89

Post by Sandra89 »

I'm in the process of installing MediaMonkey so I can listen to some FLAC Mahler downloads for which DG/Universal recommends using MediaMonkey. I've never used anything but iTunes, and I have no idea how to use another program, or even what it's talking about when it asks me which file types I want to add.
The ones in italics are checked in the "Add file type" menu. The ones in regular type seem to be file types I can add if I want to. I have no idea what I might want to add or not add. All of my iTunes files are Lossless, if that helps.
Can anyone help me with figuring this out? Thanks.
AAC
APE
APL
ASX
CDA
FLA
FLAC
M3U
M4A
M4B
M4P
MAC
MP+
MP3
MP4
MPC
MPP
OGG
PLS
VQF
WAV
WMA
XSPF
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

In the Add/Rescan Tracks dialog just select all file types you want added to your MediaMonkey library. If you just want to scan FLAC files you only need to select the FLAC type: http://www.mediamonkey.com/sw/webhelp/f ... ibrary.htm