Serveral Various Artist CD not showing up

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

john@lesko-mn.net

Serveral Various Artist CD not showing up

Post by john@lesko-mn.net »

I have several various artists CDs that do not show up in the artist/album artist view. I have tried resetting the album artist, but still no luck. If I look at them from other views, I can't see any difference between them and the ones that do show up.
nohitter151

Re: Serveral Various Artist CD not showing up

Post by nohitter151 »

Are you using a filter that might be hiding them?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Artist node shows tracks with that artist in the Artist field
Album Artist node shows tracks with that artist in the Album Artist field
Artist/Album Artist node shows tracks with that artist in the Artist or Album Artist field

Which one are you viewing?
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

there is a problem i've had since i got mm3 and did a new clean install on a new system. that system now has changes made by monkey and i can't find the reason. but it seems like you are getting the same error.

all my various artists albums have to have the same artist in both tags of artist , and album artist. making it a single song album by that artist. then monkey shows the album art and puts the song in the right place.

if i use the normal thing of artist for the artist tag and various for the album artist tag, monkey removes the album art and the word various from the tag putting the song in the unknown or in the artist only node.

strange it is doing that but it is. so i have various artist albums with all different names in the album artist tag
the only way they show up as an album is by monkey seeing the same album title and all the songs on it have track numbers. so when searching for an album he shows all the songs in the search.

not sure if that is the cause on yours but it does show you that there is an error someplace and some one else is getting it too.

:(
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
john@lesko-mn.net

I don't have any filters setup.

I am not seeing them in either the "Artist & album artist" node, or the album node, although I can find them under the location node.

I think several of them auto-tagged to having the album artist match the artist, and the I manually changed the album artist to various artist.

I have tried doing the maintain library, add/rescan tracks and find missing tracks, but I keep having to go back to the location node to find the albums. (I am assuming node refers to the folder under library in the tree on the left side of MM).

They do not show up under unknown or unknown artist in the artist and album artist node, but I did find at least one of them under the year node.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

spec's would help 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If they show up in the Location node they're in the library.

The issue than is one of tagging? What are the values of the Artist and Album Artist field for those songs that fail to show up (an example song is enough)?
john@lesko-mn.net

Here is a good example, I have a 2 CD album where disc 1 shows up, but disc 2 does not

Here are the tab properties for the first song off disc 1 (which shows up)
File path: E:\My Music\Various\Ultimate Southern Rock [Disc 1]\Gimmie Three Steps.mp3
Filename: Gimmie Three Steps.mp3
Track Titile: Gimmie Three Steps
Artist: Lynyrd Skynyrd
Genre: Southern Rock
Album: Ultimate Southern Rock [Disc 1]
Album Artist: Various Artists

Here are the tab properties for the first song off disc 2 (which does not show up in either artist & Album artist or the album node)
File path: E:\My Music\Various\Ultimate Southern Rock [Disc 2]\The South's Gonna Do It (Again).mp3
FileName: The South's Gonna Do It (Again).mp3
Track Title: The South's Gonna Do It (Again)
Artist: The Charlie Daniels Band
Genre: Southern Rock
Album: Ultimate Southern Rock [Disc 2]
Album artist: Various Artists
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

So you're saying that the second track doesn't show in the Artist & Album Artist node under The Charlie Daniels Band or Various Artists, or the Album node Ultimate Southern Rock [Disc 2].

Remember that you have to look for the Ultimate Southern Rock [Disc 2] under the artist node and not Ultimate Southern Rock [Disc 1].
john@lesko-mn.net

I guess it does show up under Charlie Daniels (although under the album name it does say Various Artists), along with some other charlie Daniels songs from various artist albums that do show up under the various artists node. So the songs show up under artist, year and location, but NOT under album artist or album

This also holds true when I try to configure my MP3 player, I would like to add the whole CD, so I would like to find the CD under various artists, but some CDs just do not show up there,
jll1234

Post by jll1234 »

OK apparently I am going insane. The album has started showing up under the albums node, however it is showing up without any songs. Both Disc1 and Disc2 now have nodes under the album node (but I swear disc2 was not there yesterday), and if I select disc1 everything looks good, but if I select disc2, it is empty.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are you still add/rescanning tracks or using the File Monitor? Maybe a debug log as described in the Bug Report forum will give more insight to the developers as what is happening.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

jll1234 wrote:OK apparently I am going insane. The album has started showing up under the albums node, however it is showing up without any songs. Both Disc1 and Disc2 now have nodes under the album node (but I swear disc2 was not there yesterday), and if I select disc1 everything looks good, but if I select disc2, it is empty.
The db could be messed up somehow. Removing and re-adding the tracks to the library could help.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
TexIndian

Re: Several Various Artist CD not showing up

Post by TexIndian »

I have the same issue. I added MM Gold as a first-time user recently and scanned my whole library. Compilation albums are usually the problem. Songs listing various artists show up all over the place except for where you'd expect. I figured I'd have to go in and manually change the tags until they showed up in the same place. That is if I can locate all the pieces in a large library. If you discover a quick fix, let me know.

I notice that some compilation albums show the respective artists for each song on the CD cover, but when you rip them they all say 'Various Artists' under the artist column. Those were all complete and in one place - 'Various Artists' on the artist tree.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

For MediaMonkey to show tracks as one album the Album Artist field needs to be the same for all the tracks on the album. This is normally something like Various Artists for compilation albums. You can find these by going to the Library > Files to Edit > Multiple Artist Albums.