Playlist Panel 3.1 (2010-09-19)

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

CeeDub

Playlist Panel 3.1 (2010-09-19)

Post by CeeDub »

Hello everybody!

I just finished a script that lets me, well, "see and manage which playlists a song is assigned to", at a glance. It was kinda annoying, going through my library, seeing a song and wondering, "did I put this on that one playlist?" and having to check via the context menu or the properties dialog.

Picture > 1000 words:

With this script installed, whenever you click on a song in the track browser, the panel will show checked boxes next to the playlists the song is in. Check a box that's unchecked and the song will be added to that list. Uncheck a checked box and the song will be removed from that playlist. So far, so good.

Now some cautionary notes:
  • If you select more than one track, the script will only consider the topmost track.
  • If you add a new playlist, the panel will not show it until you restart MM, click okay in the options panel or use the menu command "Refresh playlist panel".
  • The same applies to deleted playlists. Attempting to add a track to a playlist that doesn't exist anymore does nothing.
  • The playlist panel will mimic the tree structure of your playlist node. Previous issues with the visibility of child playlists have been fixed.
  • If you are browsing the playlist that you remove a song from, you will not see the effect immediately. This is intentional, because otherwise the track browser would lose the line it's on and jump to the top of the playlist. I found that quite irritating. Hit F5 if you want to be sure.
  • Removing a song from a playlist will never ask for confirmation, ignoring the setting in Tools->Options->General->Confirmations.
  • If you have two or more playlists with the same name, this script will go all kinds of wonky. Adding a track will add it to the first playlist (according to MM's internal order) of that name, removing it will remove it from all playlists of that name.
  • The built-in playlists are intentionally ignored.
Anyway, here it is, for your consideration.

New in Version 2:

Using the new option sheet in Tools->Options->Library->Playlist Panel, you can now choose how the playlists will be displayed:
  • Tree mode (default): The "traditional" style that mimics the tree structure of the playlist node in the main tree.
  • Alphabetical, checked first: Exactly what it says on the tin. Checked playlists (that the selected track is in) are listed first, in alphabetical order, followed by all unchecked playlists, also in alphabetical order. In this mode, all playlists are on the same "level", i.e. the parent-child-relationships of the nodes are dissolved.
  • Alphabetical: Alphabetical order, also without tree structure.
  • Alphabetical, checked only: Also what it says on the tin. Only offers about two thirds of the functionality (see and remove from playlists, adding is not possible because no unchecked playlists are visible), but it was requested, so here it is.
New in Version 3:
  • The playlist panel will now display artist and title of the track that the panel works with. In the option sheet, you can choose between "Artist - Title" (default) and "Title - Artist".
  • You can now also change whether it works on the selected song in the track browser, the currently playing song, or in a mixed mode (more details in the option sheet). I tried to copy the behavior options of the Lyrics Viewer script as closely as possible.
New in Version 3.1:
  • You can refresh the panel after adding or removing playlists via the menu command "Refresh playlist panel".
Last edited by CeeDub on Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:48 am, edited 8 times in total.
MediaMonkey 3.2.x on Win 7 Home Premium (HTC Desire / Creative ZEN 16GB)
Check out my Playlist Panel script.
nynaevelan

Re: See and manage which playlists a song is assigned to

Post by nynaevelan »

I wanted to try this out but I am getting a querying error because I have playlists with apostrophe's and dashes in the name.

Nyn
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
CeeDub

Post by CeeDub »

Dang. Hadn't thought of that. How embarrassing.

Will fix ASAP.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

CeeDub wrote:How embarrassing.
Not at all. :D

CeeDub

Post by CeeDub »

Okay, should be fixed now. I tried it with a playlist named t'est' (sounds kinda Klingon, no?), and it works. So far.

Let me know if you have any more problems.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

That fixed it, but what sort order are they in??

CeeDub

Post by CeeDub »

Um... the sort order should be the same order as the playlist branch in the main tree. On my system at least, that's alphabetical, with possible child playlists also sorted alphabetically within their branch.

Do you have a different experience? If so, could you post a screenshot?
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

It looks like some of them are out of order but that could be due to having too many. I will research some more to be sure what I am looking at, I have ALOT of playlists.

CeeDub (on the move)

Post by CeeDub (on the move) »

You are correct, the order is messed up if a playlist has more than one child. The other children are listed as siblings of the parent. (Incest - fun for the whole family! :D )

Sorry, my fault. Sloppy testing. It should be fixed now.

Thank you for beta-testing. :)
Brouwerik

Post by Brouwerik »

Really like this script :) But I have a few issues/suggestions.

1. A lot of "children" do not show up as childs of their parents but are listed at the same level.
2. Can you make an hotkey for for this panel?
3. Can you extend this script for other values/tags/fields like mood and occasion?

greetz
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

Now I only see the parent playlists, not the full list.

nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

I am really liking this script although I am still on yesterday's version. If possible for a future version, it would be nice if the playlists which the track belongs to is listed at the top of the form and then all the others listed below them, maybe with a separator between the two sections.

CeeDub

Post by CeeDub »

Brouwerik,

thanks for trying it out and for your suggestions:

1. This was fixed about 10 minutes after you posted. Please download the current build and try again, it should work now.
2. You should be able to toggle the Panel with (depending on your language settings) Alt + V, Y. Wait, that's a shortcut, right? You mean something like STRG+<KEY>, correct? I'll look into it.
3. Hm, I'd have to separate the panel into three individually resizable frames, if I understand your feature request correctly. I'll look into that, too, but it'll probably have to wait until the weekend.

nynaevelan,

the parent sometimes refuses to expand on doubleclick unless it it highlighted first. Initially highlighting the node seems to require a click on either the checkbox itself or the first one or two letters. I don't think I have any influence on this, since it's a standard UI element. Try out today's version, the most egregious issues should be fixed in that one.

Re: changing the order to "checked first" - I see your point, but I'm afraid of performance issues arising from rebuilding the tree everytime a new track is selected, especially with a huge and nested playlist tree like you have. I may try to make that customizable in a future version.

I'm glad you like it! :D
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

First, the previous version must have thrown me because I didn't see the plus, so I thought it was working correctly. :oops: I like how it is not mimicing the native functionality in looks. Second, would it be possible for the grandparent playlist to have the plus instead of a check box? It's not a big deal but it would help the user realize it is an expanding playlist. Third, your thoughts do make sense about moving the playlists around, how about this thought. When setting up a portable player, the playlist tab has an option to show all playlists or show only those that are selected, would this be doable via a script?? If not, no big deal I do like it.

CeeDub

Post by CeeDub »

I updated the script again, now every parent can have a plus-sign to show expandability.

Showing only the checked playlists is quite easy if you can live without the tree structure for this view. Can you? Not sure how and where to implement the controls for this setting, but I think I'll figure something out. I assume you want the ability to toggle quickly between "Show all" and "Show checked only"?