Only entire star rating

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

adso

Only entire star rating

Post by adso »

I really would like to switch off the half star rating.
1. 10 different rating-levels is too much in my mind
2. 5 stars are standart in all mp3-players
3. the conversion from half stars makes only problems

I know this is an old problem. Some users desire half stars, some not. So i would like to can switch in the options Library - Appereance.

What do you think?

Regards
rovingcowboy

Re: Only entire star rating

Post by rovingcowboy »

well it should be possible to make a option to check if you want a half star rating or not.

it was simple enough for the mp3 player developers to turn off the standard half star rating on their players.
:)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
-ZEEBEE-

Post by -ZEEBEE- »

I agree, it's really anoying if you don't use it.
CarlitoGil

Post by CarlitoGil »

I don't know why this request is not taken seriously,

If you like like half stars it doesn't affect you, I'd just like the option to turn them off.

I agree with the reasons given, here's another
4. Rating with the mouse has to be too precise.
iTunesMonkey + Acoustid – Find metadata from iTunes and Acoustid
tinana

Post by tinana »

I agree with the reasons given, here's another
4. Rating with the mouse has to be too precise.
Yeeeeah, I hate this, I often click half-stars by mistake, ugh.
MM Gold/Lifetime member
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I don't use half stars either, but I'm not too bothered with the imprecise rating. You can always use the drop down.

Furthermore there would be a big issue as to what to do if a half star rating track would be imported in the Library.
CarlitoGil

Post by CarlitoGil »

Lowlander wrote:there would be a big issue as to what to do if a half star rating track would be imported in the Library.
Half Stars?
Show'em! Normaly.
Don't like them? Change them.
Need them? Switch them on.

The off setting only hides the half star menu items
and the Rating treenode only shows them if the exist, like Genres.

You don't have to round them, hide them or anything, just don't let me set them manually.
Last edited by CarlitoGil on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I agree that the rating node should only show used ratings.
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

Lowlander wrote:I agree that the rating node should only show used ratings.
Makes sense. I agree.
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

hmmm, the Ratings node is consistent with the Classification node in that it shows all values. I'd still prefer only used values to be shown.
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

Thinking of this again.
I changed my mind.
Cause some users drag and drop their selections onto the ratings nodes to apply ratings.
So they might want all ratings to show even if they have no tracks currently rated with that value.
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)
CarlitoGil

Post by CarlitoGil »

Lowlander wrote:hmmm, the Ratings node is consistent with the Classification node in that it shows all values. I'd still prefer only used values to be shown.
If half stars were optional, when off, The integer stars can be always shown but half stars only if they are used; custom classifications are only shown if used.

Dreadlau wrote:Cause some users drag and drop their selections onto the ratings nodes to apply ratings.
They would only rate them (with half stars) without dragging the first time.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

you know of course that big berny's auto rate system has a custom option where you set up what you like.
and he allows you to set up half stars if you want them. just add a percentage of your songs to get them in his settings
if you don't then put a big fat zero for the percentage of songs to get half stars.

so i don't see the trouble.? its already able to be turned on or off.

which means i was right in my first post that it should be simple in script.
8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
CarlitoGil

Post by CarlitoGil »

rovingcowboy wrote:you know of course that big berny's auto rate system has a custom option where you set up what you like.
Can you link to it?
I don't think what is being requested can be implemented via script.
And don't know what auto rating has got to do with it.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

link to it? its in the help with addons room in the all script's thread.

auto rating just makes the ratings according to your play counts and your settings in that custom setting.
so they are your ratings you have the option in his program to keep the manual ratings if you want to change one
to a rate that is different then what is in the settings. so there is no trouble in keeping special rates for certain songs.

the auto rate script from big berny just gets the mass of work out of your way so you can pick which you want when ever
you want to change your mind on the song. its great for huge librarys.

don't get the one from diddeleedoo he made it for mm 2 and it does not work anymore he is not adjusting it either.
so big bernys is the one to use for auto rating. :D