iPod Nano 5G support

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

jiri

iPod Nano 5G support

Post by jiri »

I have just uploaded a new version of iPod plug-in, it should properly support the latest Nano 5G. There might be some features missing or not working completely, but the basics (tracks synching, album art, lyrics, etc.) seems to already work fine. Note that this is just a testing version intended for beta testers only! Copy it to folder with the latest MM 3.1.2 beta installation, it wouldn't work correctly otherwise.

Download: http://www.mediamonkey.com/beta/d_iPod.dll

Jiri
nerve

Re: iPod Nano 5G support

Post by nerve »

Can't seem to get this to work. I'm seeing two devices. USB Mass Storage Device (E:) with Artist, Album, Genre, Playlists, Podcasts but nothing in them and E:\ with Calendars, Contacts, DCIM, iPod_Control, Notes, Recordings. I can see the music under the usual iPod_Control/Music/F00, F01 etc. I had this before with the old version. Do I need to reset something? I'm using the new MediaMonkey beta debug build 3.1.2.1267
rusty

Post by rusty »

Nerve,

That can happen if you connect a new device when another iPod is already connected. Try:

1) Go to Tools > Options > Portable devices
2) Delete any iPod/iPhone devices using the d_wmdm driver
3) Disable the Generic/Portable Audio device
4) Plug in your iPod. Hopefully MediaMonkey wil

If that fails to solve the problem, can you confirm that:
a) You're using MM 3.1.2.1267 (or greater)
b) You've installed the new d_iPod.dll to the correct location

Thanks.

-Rusty
Stonejaw

Post by Stonejaw »

When I sync by syncing only the playlists I have selected in the ipod configuration, it syncs my songs but on my ipod I have no playlists to choose from? Am I doing something wrong?
Stonejaw

Post by Stonejaw »

Also another thing I have noticed is now on the ipod the album art does not match the song that is playing on the ipod. But everything is perfect in MM. I dont know what would cause this.
HeWhoIsBob

Post by HeWhoIsBob »

I was having trouble too, but I've been able to get all the songs and album artwork to appear on the iPod now. After removing the other iPod profiles, it finally recognized the nano as an iPod. The only thing that it doesn't recognize are the playlists, although they still appear in the iPod menu in media monkey (showing they synced, that is), but not the iPod.
sobriquet

Post by sobriquet »

OK, Just bought an ipod nano 5G, downloaded the appropriate MM beta, your ipod dll, and installed latest itunes. Configd all as described in wiki. I get the following:

I seelct eg all 3,4,5 star rated songs in my library, and select "sync Selected". I click on the ipod icon.

It starts to sync, but after a few minutes suddenly ceases syncing, when its only about 10% into the sync.
Any ideas?

Cheers
Sobriquet

Post by Guest »

OK got an idea - could it be that it is only syncing ipod compatible files and ignoring the others?

Looks like I need MM gold to convert eg wma files to mp3s while syncing?

In that case if I buy MM gold will the license work with this beta test version?
sobriquet

Post by sobriquet »

Having identical prob to Stonejaw - playlist sync - music is there under album/artist, but no playlists appear on device. Otherwise all good.

Cheers for efforts

Sobriquet.
user987654321

Post by user987654321 »

Me too same issue as Stonejaw. 5th gen nano, music is there (can see under my computer) but on nano nothing works. says no music, no playlists.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Guest wrote:
In that case if I buy MM gold will the license work with this beta test version?
Yes, of course.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
mkmkmkmkmk

Post by mkmkmkmkmk »

i tried today to use MM internal build (3.1.2.1269 both with and without the dll posted above), as well as beta 2 build 3.1.2.1267 (again, with and without the posted dll above) and followed all the steps below, yet I still am unable to get my new 5th gen nano to play the synchronized music / playlists. even though synchronization occurs and the music is clearly on the actual ipod (i can see it in MM & via my computer) the ipod itself always says it has no music.

step by step, here's what i did:
1) completely uninstalled MM (including cleaning up registry, MM dir under program files, and app data under users)
2) installed MM
3) dropped the new d_iPod.dll to the plugins dir
4) opened MM
5) tools > options > portable devices. i see "iPod" as the Name of the device with d_iPod.dll listed.
a) deleted any iPod/iPhone devices using the d_wmdm driver (i didn't have any)
b) disabled Generic/Portable Audio Device
6) connected my ipod - it shows up as USB Mass Storage Device
8) now, back under tools > options > portable devices... things look different. "iPod" has changed to "USB Mass Storage Device" as the Name, but still with d_iPod.dll as plugin.
9) I can setup playlists, etc to sync... run auto-sync, etc. Files get copied to the ipod, but the ipod cannot see/play them. It always says there is no music.

ideas? fixes?
jiri

Post by jiri »

A newer version of the dll was just uploaded to the same place. Fixed issues:
1. There were no playlists on iPod (just Tracks).
2. Ordering of some items wasn't correct (mainly Composers).
3. 'Unknown' items are properly handled and named.
4. Speech engine works (i.e. track titles are read upon request).
5. Minor tweaks and fixes.

Those that have two devices, it happens on Win7, it will be fixed in the next beta release, until then you can e.g. completely remove d_WMDM.dll.

Otherwise it should all work fine.

Jiri
mkmkmkmkmk

Post by mkmkmkmkmk »

Thanks for the updated plugin! Using it (with 3.1.2.1267) I was able just once to sync my nano, however, at the end of the sync the sync process hung. I tried to terminate it via MM, but nothing happened. MM consumed large amounts of cpu and had to be killed. From here on, even after rebooting, every time i start the sync cpu went sky high and the sync process hung. Even simply renaming the ipod triggered the cpu spike.

On a good note, that one time the sync ran it did it's job - i now have music and playlists that work on the ipod. Good news there.

I'll gladly keep testing as updated plugins come out. Thanks again!
jiri

Post by jiri »

Feel free to send me a debug log of the synchronization, so that I can review what's going on.

Jiri