iphone 3g OS 3.0 (developer preview OS)

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

liger_trainer

Re: just spotlight it

Post by liger_trainer »

rytanst wrote:just run a spotlight search for one of your songs that exists as "other" as of right now. the ipod in the phone will index the collection, and BAM! all of you music is there. i just did it.
Just tried that. Didn't work for me...

Re: iphone 3g OS 3.0 (developer preview OS)

Post by Guest »

Hoping it's working soon, I wanted to buy an iphone today and I want to use MM for my music an not iTunes :roll:

And thats definitely a topic for the -- for example -- EU cartel authorities. Apple should be forced to open the synchronization interface for their music products.
germanjulian

Post by germanjulian »

Just to confirm doesnt work with the 3GS
rusty

Post by rusty »

I just wanted to give you an update.

Iphone OS 3.0 makes a couple of changes that prevent MM 3.1.0 from working with it--they've updated the iPhone database format, and they've created a new hash to prevent third parties from interfacing with the iPhone in a manner that the iPhone music player can read.

We're looking at this to see what is involved in fixing it. Tracked at:
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=5798

-Russell
tmurph

Post by tmurph »

As a short term fix...still manage all you music in mediamonkey and when you need to sync export your playlists [Tools|Scripts|Export all Playlists] and then import them into iTunes [File|Library|Import Playlist] so you can sync from iTunes to your iPhone. Not convenient but not too much trouble and you can still have MediaMonkey as your primary player but not miss out on the benefits of iPhone 3.0. I'm sure someone on this thread can put something together that automates the export/import playlist process? Please :D
njkode

Post by njkode »

Iskondi wrote:Buncha no good sons of....
*Sigh* Why can't Apple leave well enough alone??

Thanks for the update,
Iskondi

Thank you for the update, but yes apple needs to leave well enough alone. They should be happy that we buy there product and let us interface with music how we want.
m1abrams

Post by m1abrams »

tmurph wrote:As a short term fix...still manage all you music in mediamonkey and when you need to sync export your playlists [Tools|Scripts|Export all Playlists] and then import them into iTunes [File|Library|Import Playlist] so you can sync from iTunes to your iPhone. Not convenient but not too much trouble and you can still have MediaMonkey as your primary player but not miss out on the benefits of iPhone 3.0. I'm sure someone on this thread can put something together that automates the export/import playlist process? Please :D
On this thought, has MM given any thought to going another route for iphone sync'ing? Instead of providing a native sync to the iphone provide an elegant sync to iTunes? I believe iTunes has a public API for doing this. This way people with iphones could have MM set to sync/transcode their music and playlists to work with iTunes and then they just sync the phone with iTunes like normal. This would eliminate the need for MM to chase apple around, sure not as elegant as getting rid of iTunes but if you have an iphone chances are you need to use iTunes anyhow for other reasons like contacts, apps, backups,video, etc.

Post by Guest »

Did the upgrade of _iphone.dll which eliminated the Win32 crash of MM when plugging in the IPhone with 3.0 OS.

Synchronize runs like everythings working but then no songs in the IPod once sync is complete.
leeshawmincy

Post by leeshawmincy »

I did the same as above and watched as the iPHONE w/ OS 3.0 was "synched" with MM. The process took awhile and in the end, no songs were actually transferred to the iPhone.
/LM
januario

Post by januario »

I've been using MM for a while and don't want to resort to iTunes. I also don't want to wait to sync my iPhone now that I've upgraded to 3.0. Has anyone tried to sync MM to a removable USB drive and then use that USB drive as the iTunes library? That would allow me to have my lossless files on MM, auto-convert them to the USB drive, and sync the whole set to the iPhone with iTunes. I also hope this will update the playcounts across the whole system.

Although this may work, I wonder if changing files on the USB drive will screw up iTunes.

Any advice?
ritto

Post by ritto »

I have the same problem.

Every time I plug in my iphone, mediamoneky says the "audio library has stopped working" and subsequently crashes.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

ritto wrote:I have the same problem.

Every time I plug in my iphone, mediamoneky says the "audio library has stopped working" and subsequently crashes.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!
http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... icleid=125
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

m1abrams wrote:On this thought, has MM given any thought to going another route for iphone sync'ing? Instead of providing a native sync to the iphone provide an elegant sync to iTunes?
I've been thinking for some time this is what MediaMonkey should do. If you have an Apple product you pretty much HAVE to use iTunes - for updates, for video, etc. So why even bother trying to go around iTunes? Especially with storage space so cheap these days.

Why not just give MediaMonkey the ability to store a synchronous copy of your library in whatever format you want to use on your iPod? My library is mostly FLAC and MP3 files, but I like to use 128kbps AAC on my iPod. So MM would create a duplicate library for iTunes to use in iTunes' own directories, converted to 128kbps AAC, pretty much utilizing MM's existing ability to sync devices like portable hard drives.

Then going forward, whenever you make changes to your primary library MediaMonkey would automatically make the same changes to your iTunes library - file metadata, playlists, etc. MM could even import over select information from the iTunes copy of your library, like album art or ratings or playcounts flowing in from your iPod.
BillieTheVision

Post by BillieTheVision »

Hoping it will work soon, I'm waiting to buy an iPhone for this...
LUKMCD

Post by LUKMCD »

-edit spoke too soon.
Last edited by LUKMCD on Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.