copying cds protected with "player"

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

copying cds protected with "player"

Post by guest »

Hi jiri,
Can I use mediamonkey to copy CDs that are copyright protected?
(Eg. latest Norah Jones CD)?
Thanks, Dunko
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Most copyright protected CD's can't be copied with MM. Several users have already reported problems with this.

In many countries it is legal to make a copy of those CD's for personal use.

In some countries it is legal to use illegal download services to download songs you own legally already. Remember that it is illegal to share songs!!
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

it is illegal to share songs!!
As of this writing, not in Canada :D

Regarding copy protections, I think there are workarounds which are legal as long as you use them in agreement with your fair use rights. Since I don't consume the type of music that comes with copy protection I don't know the details, but a google search can help.

Pablo
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The real problem is that laws are different per country and fairly general. Many court battles will need to be fought before we will know what the laws will actually allow.

The music (movie) industry doesn't want you to copy anything. A DVD copy program has just been ruled illegal in the US. A Norwegian has just been aquited on his DVD copy program.

Fair Use Right laws generally allow you to have copies of music you own for personal use. Some countries allow you to obtain those copies from illegal sources. Canada for example has a charge build in CDRs for copying of music and thus has more liberal laws on filesharing.

In most countries offering music thru P2P networks is illegal, because you are allowing other people to infringe on copyrights. Awkwardly you are allowed to download in certain countries if you own a legal copy of the music.

The music industry will start to prosecute more and more in more countries as legal download services become a viable alternative to illegal downloads. In the Netherlands the music industry is now going after people as well.

The people getting sued at this moment are people who share, not the people that download. Of course once nobody shares, there is nothing to download.

The music and movie industry are at the start of a new era and as usual they are trying to prevent any change. They will have to change their business strategies, but what they will do is unknown and will shape their futures.
Jake Ames

copying cds protected with "player" [Copy Controll

Post by Jake Ames »

I am finding that almost all new releases are now on this new form of media. It can't be called a Compact Disc as it is not redbook compliant, but they have a new logo, triangles in circles and are labeled copy controlled. An audio applet tries to autorun. Say no. Then use one of several rippers like EAC or AudioGrabber with Dynamic Synch turned on.

Music Match Juke Box can also work with these, but it seems to have more trouble.

It would be worth looking into some implementation for future MediaMonkey releases. This is not going to go away ...

jake
malibu

Post by malibu »

Could you not just use something like Audiograbber and record the WAV out to MP3? Or use a normal CD player with an RCA output, put it to your line in and record the line in to MP3.

There is supposed to be a loss of quality by this method but to my ear.. I've never been able to detect a difference.
Octopod

Post by Octopod »

To me, "Easy CD-DA Extractor" is the best software to rip these blasted copy-controlled CDs (MP3-LAME encoding).
Try it for free at http://www.poikosoft.com
Peke

Post by Peke »

Just Note: AudioGrabber is freeware from 08. Feb. 2004. ;)
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts