"Modify Timestamp when Updating Tags" doesn't work

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

bdill

"Modify Timestamp when Updating Tags" doesn't work

Post by bdill »

"Modify Timestamp when Updating Tags" doesn't work when performing "Analyze Volume".

Scenario:
1) Let's say I have a 10 song album in a folder and I just ripped and mp3 encoded them on Monday July 3.
All of the "Date modified" dates are within a few minutes of each other.

2) I have "Modify Timestamp when Updating Tags" checked.

3) The next day (July 4) I "analyze volume" (Ctrl + Shift + V) to get a Volume Leveling Coefficient.
The number for each of these songs should get written to the database and to the ID3 tag of the mp3 file.

4) I would expect all 10 songs to now have a modified date of July 4, but they don't!
Some of them have a new mod date, but most don't.
The mod date only chages about 20% of the time. :(

Am I missing something?

I sync MP3's between home and work, and it would be very nice if the mod date were updated. I use SyncBackSE to sync to/from a USB HD. The quick-sync doesn't work for me due to the above mentioned problem. I do know that the MP3 file is changed because when I tell SyncBackSE to do a hash compare, it detects the changes. The problem is that a hash compare takes about 45 minutes to run, vs. about 30 seconds without using the hash compare.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You are right, MediaMonkey doesn't update the timestamp on all tracks when volume leveling. You're the first to report this and I can confirm.
bdill

Thanks for the confirmation

Post by bdill »

Lowlander,
Thanks for the confirmation of this issue. At least I know that I'm not smoking crack.

After some experimentation, I have more detailed information.

Yesterday at home I ripped a CD, encoded it to MP3, and did a volume analysis in MM. Just as before some of the files mod date changed, but not all. I copied the entire folder/album to my USB HD and took it into work. When I loaded the tracks into MM at work I noticed an interesting correlation. Only those tracks that had an updated mod date had leveling info!

Conclusion: for some reason, MM doesn't always write the leveling info into the MP3 tag of the file.

When MM does write the leveling info into the tag, the mod date gets updated, but not when no tag is written. At least we've narrowed down the problem
jiri

Post by jiri »

Thanks for the report, the problem will be fixed in the next release of MM 2.5.4.

Jiri
rusty

Fixed in MediaMonkey 2.5.4.971 (beta 2)

Post by rusty »

Just confirming that it is in fact in the beta build.

-Rusty