Question about resuming playback.

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Jim48T

Question about resuming playback.

Post by Jim48T »

As I have mentioned before I use MM to listen to audiobooks and I use a playlist to control playback. The issue i have is that when I pause a book and later restart it it restarts exactly where it was paused. That means that, quite often, the resume is in the middle of a word. Lets say the playback is saying aluminum and I press pause exactly when "alum" is being said and it resumes with "inum" being said. That seems OK behavior for music but for books it can result in an unintelligible restart particularly if it been more that a few minutes since the pause. What I want to do is have MM rewind just a few seconds on any restart. I think 5 or even 3 seconds would be perfect.
I have not, yet at least, found a setting for this. If there is such a setting I am hopeful that someone here will be good enough to point me to it.
Failing that I think it would be a good feature to add, but it should be optional, as I can see many people not wanting that behavior.
I know I can use the rewind 5 seconds function to accomplish this but that requires an additional keypress and often I only have play and pause available due to the way I have my house configured so I can start/stop play from anywhere in my house.
Thanks in advance.
I am running MM 2024.0.0.3020
Lowlander

Re: Question about resuming playback.

Post by Lowlander »

You can use the skip 5 seconds backward hotkey as a solution.
Jim48T

Re: Question about resuming playback.

Post by Jim48T »

"You can use the skip 5 seconds backward hotkey as a solution."
Thanks.
But as I said in my original post I have my whole house control set up so that a most locations I only have "play" and "pause" available so using another hot key is NOT a solution. There are plenty of audio book players, mainly for Android so of not of use for me, that have a setting for automagically skipping back 5 or 3 seconds.
But my setup uses Windows and Alexa and a couple of keyboards. MM has no direct control available through, in spite of it being asked for several time during the last several years, so I set up an IR sender that sends play and pause as requested but for each key I send I have to spent a quite long time programming it and the two mentioned are the only ones I have programmed.
The programing of sending new codes is quite time consuming but, before I do that I want to verify that I can somehow send a single command, somehow, that will restart playback and skip 5 seconds back. If that is possible then I can replace the ir codes i currently sent with the ones for 5 sec back. If it requires two commands it is more involved than that and I will have to decided exactly how I can do that.
Btw: If there is a way to directly control MM with Alexa that would be ideal as then I would only have to deal with Alexa and that is MUCH easier than it is to deal with the clunky ir sender that I use with Alexa.
I am going to experiment a bit but I tire easily and I have to be careful when reprogramming/configuring things or I may end up with something halfway done and have to stop.