Beloved MM... corrupts the Database. Can I still trust Ventis and buy MM5?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

KharskiGold2

Beloved MM... corrupts the Database. Can I still trust Ventis and buy MM5?

Post by KharskiGold2 »

Hello,
long term user here. First of all - thanks. Still today, I see nothing quite MM on the market - a folder based collection manager with some tools and scripts.

The complaint - MM regularily, since ever, I believe, messes up my tags. 10h of hours of work lost. Sometimes... it even more drastically corrupts my Database... which is the worse thing you can do to a(n amateur) DJ. Now being an ex-dev, I have the impression that MM4 was coded... rather poorly, probably with a lot of history behind it. I will try to give you some examples of what exactly goes wrong but the bottom line is... I cannot trust MediaMonkey. The right thing would be to switch, however since MediaMonkey 5 is out... maybe I can upgrade to it.

The question Can I somehow check my set-up for anything wrong, as to prevent
> MediaMonkey from loosing tag information or
> sometimes having Database/SQL query errors
> other wierd things like bad timestamps

and nearly more importantly (since the active dev version is MM5..), can I safely upgrade to MM5 and be quite sure I won't have these problems anymore? The ONLY particularities I have (and it wasn't always the case) is that my Windows is sitting on a (Parallels) vm on Mac. MediaMonkey is installed in Portable mode, and the Audio files are mapped (from Mac, Windows sees them as a network drive, not a local one). Sometimes, I fudge up my Parallels config and basically the maps get shifted. So before Windows saw Z:/Audio/.... and then sees Z:/otherFolder and Y:/Audio. Of course the music is then unfindable, that's normal. Of course I revert to the correct/initial mapping config with just Z:/Audio .

Symptoms in first comment, if I get to that. At the same time the most important ones were exposed above, and I don't want to waste your time trying to fix MM4... I rather want to acknowledge the problem (or tell me no, MM does not work with network drives/your config is at fault), and know if I can safely migrate to MM5 or if I have to fix/check something before.

Thanks,
The Kharski
Lowlander

Re: Beloved MM... corrupts the Database. Can I still trust Ventis and buy MM5?

Post by Lowlander »

You may want to change database robustness: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... obustness/

I'd recommend updating to MMW5 as that's where any troubleshooting of this would need to happen (actually on the latest 2024 beta).
Peke

Re: Beloved MM... corrupts the Database. Can I still trust Ventis and buy MM5?

Post by Peke »

Hi,
KharskiGold2 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:43 pm if I can safely migrate to MM5 or if I have to fix/check something before.
May ask you to open support ticket as there is a way to do a non destructive test run on MM5/2024 and see if it resolves issues you have.
As MM uses SQLite local DB it is very strange that you get so much SQL query errors I would rather look for a problem somewhere else (I have 20 Years old MM library and it is not observing such constant issues. Well there was bugs but not something backup restore after code fix solve). Can you pleas eopen support ticket so that we can attack it more aggressively?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts