Why Is Album Art Not Showing Correctly Under 3018?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Dryst

Why Is Album Art Not Showing Correctly Under 3018?

Post by Dryst »

Take a look at this screenshot:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/iu2af764 ... fmjfl&dl=0

That JPG image shown for album art exists as both a Folder.jpg with the same image embedded within the FLAC tag. The image size is 1984X1984. That is a large image. Does that look like the image is displayed at that size? The answer is no.

Using ShareX I copied the image directly from what MMW5 v3018 is displaying. From pixel to pixel exactly followed by pasting what I captured into Photoshop, I get exactly 700x700 image size. This does not match Folder.jpg or what exists in the tag as album art. My question is why is MMW5 displaying a different image?

Note that I have spent lots of time storing larger album art into all of my FLAC tags. Long ago the album art used to be 700x700, but this was last year. It has been updated to 1984x1984. It could be that MMW5 is using old, outdated, stale cached info. How do I clear this old cached info that MMW5 is not smart enough to update itself?

EDIT: Apologies, but I meant to post this under the Help forums. I mistakenly posted this under bugs.
Lowlander

Re: Why Is Album Art Not Showing Correctly Under 3018?

Post by Lowlander »

The Art is not intended to show at full size there as it also displays other information like Lyrics.
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

Then why is this showing at full size?

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/9cwxe38r ... 9obs3&dl=0

I can make this even larger.

See the scroll bar? Use this to see lyrics.
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

Here is another example of MMW5 3018 displaying art at 700x700. All album art in all files and embedded within the tag is much larger than this:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/vydik84e ... 25ku2&dl=0

Last year art for this album was 700x700. This again looks like MMW5 is stuck using stale cached info.
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

Okay -- this is a defect.

I resolved this by first closing MMW5 and backing up the %APPDATA%\MediaMonkey5\MM5.DB database. Next I opened the database using DB Browser (SQLite). Finally, I executed the following query:

Code: Select all

DELETE FROM Covers
After this completed, I then executed a File|Add/Rescan files to the library. I allowed this to complete. I then played the previous file from my screenshot. I lost all album art; however, MMW5 successfully displayed the large album art. The bug is that old album art remains in the Covers table forever. Deleting all data forces a refresh.
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

I just experienced one instance where album art was not loaded. This happens for FLAC files in my Singles folder under artists that release singles. The reason art did not load is due to there being no Folder.jpg file. The album art only exists within the tags, and MMW5 3018 did not load the art post deletion of the Covers table I stated above. The album art is visible under Properties|Artwork tab as being within the FLAC tag, but MMW5 still did not load it.

I got it to load by listing the file in the Artist browse view to have MMW5 automatically load some random artwork with a disk icon prompting me to save the artwork. I right clicked the playing file to then click Properties. I clicked the Artwork tab to confirm the artwork exists in the tag. I then clicked the OK button. I then navigated back to playing view without clicking that disk icon to see this same random artwork appear under Playing. The random artwork does not always show, so you may not see it. The key is clicking OK for the artwork tab for file properties. I stopped playback, closed MMW5, and finally re-opened the application. After re-opening the app, the artwork within the tag was successfully loaded. This is happening for all singles that only have artwork embedded in the tag. I will repeat these steps for all my Singles that play.

I am sharing all of this to explain work-arounds for when this happens to you!

All of my modified large artwork is finally showing in MMW5 3018:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/mw6u5utr ... r73mg&dl=0

Without all the manual steps I listed above, this one would also be limited to 700x700. The issue is that the Covers table has zero support for updates. It only adds new. The application has zero support for clearing the artwork cache either. The fix for this is to support updates when artwork changes and stop adding new all the time.