Can't connect to server for wifi sync

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Cruelly3458

Can't connect to server for wifi sync

Post by Cruelly3458 »

Hi,

I'm using MMW 5.04.2693 and MMA 2.0.0.1169. When I try to run wifi sync I either get a blank screen with sync now and next at the bottom of the screen or message saying "Sync Error. Connection failed". I've restarted both the PC and my phone. I've checked that the phone and PC are connected to the same network; initially the phone was on a different network but they're on the same network now and still having can't connect. I've tried running the sync wizard but it can't find the server. I've checked under media sharing on MMW and there is MediaMonkey Library and MediaMonkey Server, both are enabled and running and both have access granted under shared content and both have share automatically with all new devices enabled. I've checked the firewall and it has two entries for MediaMonkey 5 and both are allowed to communicate on public and private networks.
That's the end my ideas and what I've found searching through forums for people with similar issues so hoping for some other suggestions.
Lowlander

Re: Can't connect to server for wifi sync

Post by Lowlander »

Did you check: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... ccessible/

Do you have other DLNA capable clients on the network? If so, do they see the MMW Server?
Cruelly3458

Post by Cruelly3458 »

Thanks, yes tried everything in that article. I don't have another device to check, although I've got wifi mesh and it's detecting both devices.

Strangely I'm now getting a new error. It gets up to syncing with server and then I get 'Sync error - unknown error'.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

To simplify troubleshooting you want to start with UPnP in MMA. If it fails, don't bother with Sync yet.

If you can disconnect your home from the Internet you may want to disable the Firewall in Windows and see if that makes it work.
Cruelly3458

Post by Cruelly3458 »

Thanks for all your help, really appreciated.

When I go to add the server it's now showing both MediaMonkey Library and MediaMonkey Server. I've re-added both using the QR code but it didn't seem to change anything. Syncing with either of these still results in sync error unknown error
Cruelly3458

Post by Cruelly3458 »

Just noticed something - despite the error on MMA it looks like metadata is being synced to MMW. I haven't checked if new content is being synced, but it looks like the sync is at least partially working despite the error message
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

And did you try playing from via UPnP?
Cruelly3458

Post by Cruelly3458 »

Can you explain how to do that (sorry I know I'm probably just being dumb). I've had a good look at the guides but can't figure it out.

In MMW if I go to Devices & Services I can see both my phones internal and external storage. The music is on the external storage so if I go to that I see Summary, Sync list (Library --> Device), Sync list (Device --> Library), and Sync profile. The MM help I read says I should be able to play from here, but can't see how to find or play files
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You use UPnP in MMA (not in MMW) and browse the MMW Server from there. Check if you can browse, if that works check if you can play files this way.
Cruelly3458

Post by Cruelly3458 »

I'd turned that off from the home screen as I hadn't used it before. Got it now and managed to play stuff off the server successfull
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Then we seem to have isolated it to wi-fi Sync itself and not the MediaMonkey Server. Can you try the latest MediaMonkey 2024 beta and see if wi-fi Sync works on that?
Cruelly3458

Post by Cruelly3458 »

Yes wifi sync works on that version