Do Android and Windows store meta data differently?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

jordanmcgrory

Do Android and Windows store meta data differently?

Post by jordanmcgrory »

Hello,

I spent much of last night editing my music library on MM Windows on my PC to fill in all of the incomplete artist/album/year data. When I was finished I copy and pasted those files onto my android phone and ran a library update. None of the changes I made have transferred over and the copy of my library on my phone is as messy as ever.

Do windows and android use different meta data? Is there a fix for this?
Lowlander

Re: Do Android and Windows store meta data differently?

Post by Lowlander »

When you copy files like that you rely on the Android Media Scanner to read the tags. It's known to not get everything.

Instead, if you're using MediaMonkey for Android, you should use Sync. It gets the correct tags into MediaMonkey for Android.
Rob_S

Re: Do Android and Windows store meta data differently?

Post by Rob_S »

Also, you need to turn on (check) the option in MMW to update tags when editing (under library, tags and Playlists)

If you did not have this on, it is quite possible your information has only been entered into the database, but not embedded in the tags. Thus, it will not be included when you copy the files over.

For album art images, you can check if they are embedded in the properties dialog (which should say "stored in tag".)

Having your tags embedded can save a lot of grief if you ever lose your database, or want to change player.

My musicolet player on my android phone does a good job of reading all the tags embedded by MM.

MM will tell you which tags have not been updated under files to edit (DB/tag mismatch) What I dont know is if there is any way to bulk update tags from database when not matching.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks