BPM For Your Music

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Dryst

BPM For Your Music

Post by Dryst »

There is an open source free project that has created a BPM detection utility. It's called Mixxx, and you will find it here: https://mixxx.org/

It's the most accurate I have found, but it is not 100% perfect. It is close to it though. I find that I sometimes have to tap my own beats to update what it calculated, but it is the best I have found.

Some online music purchase shops enter BPM in tags for you (www.junodownload.com comes to mind), but most do not and leave it as a task for you to complete.

MediaMonkey does not offer a way to detect BPM, but this open source project that is available for Windows, Mac, Linux and has shared source code that may help.
IanRTaylorUK

Re: BPM For Your Music

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Thanks for the information.

I currently use FooBar 2000 (with the BPM add-in) for this purpose by dragging and dropping a list of files from MMW5 to FB. After the analysis is complete, I press update in FB2000. The BPM details typically show after a short delay in MMW5 because I am using a folder (Downloads) which is scanned continually. However, a rescan or restart is sometimes necessary!

Typically, I run anything from an album to a full "discography" of tracks in one hit. Not too certain of the accuracy.

In my workflow, I do the BPM step prior to 1). setting tempo and 2). organising the files from "Downloads" to "Music\Artist\Album..."

Will try Mixxx and see how it compares.
Ian Taylor