recent issues with the "Artwork:lookup" function/link in MM5 ? [#20666]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

botheredbybees

Re: [2832] Image Lookup Search not returning results

Post by botheredbybees »

I wish it would resolve itself for me. Haven't been able to search for images for the last month. Identical problem to the original post
Barry4679

Re: recent issues with the "Artwork:lookup" function/link in MM5 ? [#20666]

Post by Barry4679 »

From this it seems that there is a fix for anyone running MM5, but still waiting a fix for anyone already running MMW 2024.
I haven't tried either of those things yet.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
RickMM

Post by RickMM »

Barry4679 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:56 pm From this it seems that there is a fix for anyone running MM5, but still waiting a fix for anyone already running MMW 2024.
I haven't tried either of those things yet.
Please clarify. Isn't MM5 the same as MMW 2024? If not, what is MMW 2024?
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

RickMM wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:44 pm Please clarify. Isn't MM5 the same as MMW 2024? If not, what is MMW 2024?
That is a very good question.

Long <rant> answer:

From oblique throwaway comments made here I am guessing that they are changing their licensing model from purchase of an enduring license, to an annual subscription ... or something like that. Your guess is as good as mine.

There is no info that I can find on their website, and as a license holder I have received no notification.
Maybe if I had read every post, in every thread here, I would be able to piece together the puzzle? But alas, I am unable.

This is just the shambolic way that things run at MM.

The thing that we do know about this License change is that Lifetime License Holders are not affected, but as for pricing for others, or terms, or how long they will apply fixes to the 5.n releases I have seen nothing.

Shorter answer:

MMW 2024 is, or was (?), the same as the latest 5.n beta ... but they are now two separate downloads, on two different paths .. I think. Probably they have already diverged.

I am guessing that at some point the 5.n version becomes "functionally stabilised", which is euphemism for "abandoned".

BTW I guess that above summary reads as being negative.

But to clarify, I have no problem with them doing whatever it takes to remain financially viable as a company.
An annual subscription, or licence, or annual maintenance charge is OK by me.
It is about time that they did something like that to ensure a quality maintenance and development service going forward.

It just gives me the shits that it is done without being up front, without proper notification and explanation. (ps. sorry if I missed the email ... hah!, as if?). There should be no need for your question, nor this answer. And the couple of questions that have been asked here should have been answered.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
RickMM

Post by RickMM »

Thanks Barry4679. I didn't realize what was/(maybe) happening with MM. Your post was informative and appreciated.

MM need to provide the userbase with their roadmap for the product.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi,

Here are the previous posts we've made on this subject:
1) when we first announced the decision:
https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 62#p517662

2) in answer to questions: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 28#p517928

At the moment, we haven't updated our wiki or knowledge base because MMW 2024 is still in beta testing. But if you read the two threads linked above, you'll see that there's no change in _policy_ to a subscription model where a license expires after some set period of time. We just decided that that MMW 5.1 merits a new major version number and instead of 6.0 we decided on 2024.0.

As to the cadence of new major releases and how long a MMW 2024 will receive upgrades, I can't say for certain when the next major release will be. But what I can say is that we have always committed to a minimum of a year of updates on x.x Gold licences and have always been more than fair with our customers.

Hopefully that clarifies. And thanks for your continued support!

Rusty
Snow_7c

Post by Snow_7c »

Image Lookup Search not returning results.
It doesn't seem to work, I cleared the cache and restarted and nothing.
:D
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are you using MediaMonkey 5.0.5? It is the only version this is working on.
SusicMnob

Post by SusicMnob »

I tried to roll back from v2024Bto v5b but when it goes to run there are errors.... :(
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Going from 5.1.x or 2024.x to 5.0.x is not recommended. There are certain changes in the database that can cause issues.
Rob Steenkist

Post by Rob Steenkist »

When can we expect a beta or an official update that will fix the problem of the artwork lookup feature?
I'm now using version 5.1.0.2832
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
It is already fixed in MM 2024 builds.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
RickMM

Post by RickMM »

I'm confused now. I haven't yet installed v5.0.5.2695 . The last few posts seem to suggest that v5.0.5.2695 doesn't fix the issue. Can someone please clarify the situation.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

5.0.5 contains a fix for Artwork lookup, however it's not recommended to downgrade from 5.1/2024 to 5.0.5. A new 2024 release is in the works.
RickMM

Post by RickMM »

I'm currently on 5.0.4.2690, so going to 5.0.5.2695 should fix the Artwork issue and not cause other issues?