recent issues with the "Artwork:lookup" function/link in MM5 ? [#20666]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Kilo

[2832] Image Lookup Search not returning results

Post by Kilo »

I have noticed recently within the last week or so that any kind of image lookup searches do not return any results and that they just endlessly search. It doesn't matter what kind of criteria I use, the searches just don't stop or return results. How can I fix this? This is on 2832.
Lowlander

Re: [2832] Image Lookup Search not returning results

Post by Lowlander »

Is this always, or occasionally for you? For me it's been working without issue.
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

It's not working for me at all now. It used to work all the time for me with no issues.
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

Is there a way to debug the connection to the image servers when the search is occurring through dev tools or other means? To me it seems like a connection problem but the inspect element dev tool doesn't show the connection status or what is happening when the search occurs. To illustrate the problem, I screencapped the image search showing how the search endlessly runs and doesn't return results.

Also in trying to test the issue, I ran into several invalid pointer reference crashes in performing image searches. I don't believe the issues are related but I submitted crashes logs for them if someone can please review them.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Is this still issue for you?
Do you reside in EU? In that case you would need to accept the cookies approval dialog...

Feel free to generate debug log (item 4b here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 30&t=86643 ) and attach to eSupport ticket..
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

Ludek wrote: ↑Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:57 am Is this still issue for you?
Do you reside in EU? In that case you would need to accept the cookies approval dialog...

Feel free to generate debug log (item 4b here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 30&t=86643 ) and attach to eSupport ticket..
It looks like it thankfully resolved itself after checking it out again. I didn't do anything or make changes on my end to fix it, strangely.
Utestit

recent issues with the "Artwork:lookup" function/link in MM5 ? [#20666]

Post by Utestit »

Edit: Please see this Knowledge Base article: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... kup-fails/

Hi !

anybody encountering recent issues with the "Artwork:lookup" function/link in MM5 ?

it used to work just fine on my side until couple of weeks; (opening a window that searched to cover arts, matching the artist & title or album)
. it no longer produces anything on my MM5 :
. the "search window" will open, indicating a search ("artist + album");
. but then endlessly searching (for 10, 20, 30 mins...)

note: I run un uptodate 5.0.4/2693 MM5 on Win10.
I tried starting MM5 as admin (sometimes solves tagging issues, where tag changes were not saved - not here)
I don't think of any change I may have done on my side (firewall, antivirus...), but tried to run without firewall - to no avail.
I have no issues manually adding cover images - but that function was great ! (be it on "auto-search" or manually run)

Any clue ? or similar issue ? Many thanks !
Barry4679

Re: recent issues with the "Artwork:lookup" function/link in MM5 ?

Post by Barry4679 »

Utestit wrote: ↑Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:36 am Hi !

anybody encountering recent issues with the "Artwork:lookup" function/link in MM5 ?

it used to work just fine on my side until couple of weeks; (opening a window that searched to cover arts, matching the artist & title or album)
. it no longer produces anything on my MM5 :
. the "search window" will open, indicating a search ("artist + album");
. but then endlessly searching (for 10, 20, 30 mins...)

note: I run un uptodate 5.0.4/2693 MM5 on Win10.
Firstly 5.0.4/2693 is not up to date.
I am running MM 5.1.0.2832

MM5 is a fairly raw new app.
The release I am running is marked as an "almost release candidate" beta, but it will be a lot more stable than what you are running, ie. a lot of early release bugs fixed in the 4+ months since your version was released.

But I am seeing the same issue that you report.
I first thought that MM may be servicing this album art request themselves, and their server may be down.
But the debug log shows that they are making a google search.

I tested with an album by The Smile,
MM5 made this search

Code: Select all

https://www.google.com/search?safe=active&tbs=iar:s,ift:jpg&q=%22The%20Smile%22+%22A%20Light%20For%20Attracting%20Attention%22&tbm=isch
I tried the same thing in my browser. The album art was returned successfully.
But is failing within MM5 ... seemingly for both old and new versions :D

Maybe they are violating the Goggle TOS? ... I hope not.
I presume that it is more likely that Google have some problem ATM.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Utestit

Post by Utestit »

Hi Barry,

thanks a lot.

So we have the same issue (and I share your diagnosis - fingers-crossed, though !).

Any thoughts from the tech-expert-side ? or share from other users/workaround ?

Many thanks !
maledictis

Post by maledictis »

+1

No changes to my MM settings. It just happened yesterday. πŸ™ˆ
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

It is known issue, which could be resolved by deleting folder C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\GPUCache: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... kup-fails/

Please try in your cases too.
We currently do not know, why and when this happens, we cannot reproduce it, it seems to be quite specific situation.

Tracked as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=20666
maledictis

Post by maledictis »

MiPi wrote: ↑Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:06 am It is known issue, which could be resolved by deleting folder C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\GPUCache
We currently do not know, why and when this happens, we cannot reproduce it, it seems to be quite specific situation.

Tracked as: https://www.ventismedia . com/mantis/view.php?id=20666
THANK YOU MiPi!!! I would have never guessed to try deleting that folder but not only did it restore the artwork search, it feels like it works faster now. You know, like when your car seems to drive better right after you wash it. 🐡

Is deleting that GPU cache folder something I might do periodically (perhaps once a month), just to keep things working smoothly? Easily done with an scheduled script. Is there any downside to deleting it on a regular basis?
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

MiPi wrote: ↑Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:06 am It is known issue, which could be resolved by deleting folder C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\GPUCache
Confirm that this action resolved the problem for me
  1. Restart MM5 after rebooting .... the art acquisition bug was still happening; Lookup Image menu item was unresponsive
  2. Close down MM5
  3. Delete the folder as advised
  4. Restart MM5, and retry the Lookup Image menu item
  5. ==> panel opens, and displays album art successfully
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

maledictis wrote: ↑Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:01 am THANK YOU MiPi!!! I would have never guessed to try deleting that folder but not only did it restore the artwork search, it feels like it works faster now. You know, like when your car seems to drive better right after you wash it. 🐡
Is deleting that GPU cache folder something I might do periodically (perhaps once a month), just to keep things working smoothly? Easily done with an scheduled script. Is there any downside to deleting it on a regular basis?
It is folder, where Chromium we use stores its things (including cookies, result of cookie consent dialog, etc.). And they have bug there, which is causing this problem. Google says, it is fixed in the last version, but last version is not stable for us in other ways. So until resolved, you sadly need to delete this folder, whenever artwork search stops working :-/
In normal situation it should not be needed.
The only "downside" of deleting it is that you will have to answer Google cookie consent dialog again the next time you use artwork search (in case you are in EU, where it is mandatory).
Utestit

Re: recent issues with the "Artwork:lookup" function/link in MM5 ? [#20666]

Post by Utestit »

thank you so much, MIPI, for the quick & efficient response !
(and others for validating the workaround)

Going to do that straight away !

[edit] and I confirm, works fine ! 8) Many many thanks, MIPI ! :) :)
Last edited by Utestit on Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.