Need help recovering Playlists from old device

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

jamesgillette2009

Need help recovering Playlists from old device

Post by jamesgillette2009 »

I have had Mediamonkey for years. I purchased the Gold membership. Everything worked and synced fine on the computer I 1st installed it on. All of my media is stored on a portable hard drive, I have it all still. So my old computer ended up dying on me and I have a new PC. I installed MM4 on my new computer and got it to find all my music which it did just fine. All the media on my Android is fine and still organized the way I had it before.

I am having a very hard time getting my playlists into the newly installed MM4 on my new computer. Im not sure where they are stored on my old hard drive. I have the playlists EXACTLY how I want them on my Android but I am unable to sync them from my device to the MM4 library on my machine. When I go to Options > Portable Device Sync > Device Profile > Auto-Sync (--> Library) I am unable to DESELECT the music and SELECT the Playlists.

If there is a better way to get my playlists from my phone back to the MM4 library, please let me know. My main objective is to have the same playlists on MM4 and my device so no matter where I edit them, I can Sync and have the same playlists.
Lowlander

Re: Need help recovering Playlists from old device

Post by Lowlander »

Playlists are stored in the MediaMonkey database. You should be able to Sync back and any music files already on your PC should be skipped.
jamesgillette2009

Thank you for answering but your answer was a little late, I figured out how to retrieve my DB files from my old computer. I replaced the DB files on my new computer with the old ones and now i DO have all my playlists. The only problem is when trying to play music in the playlist, only 1 out of 20 tracks plays, the rest are greyed out.

They show a weird path for the location, so once I fixed that, they STILL wont play. a majority of the tracks in the actual main music library itself wont play now either. Please keep in mind, ALL of this worked flawlessly on my old PC. I have uninstalled and reinstalled MM4 a few times. This has not fixed the issue either. I have cleared my database, removing all the music but keeping the DB and INI files and then re-added the music to the library and that did not fix the problem either. And yes I have logged in and input my license key for MM4 Gold.

I went into my music library and sorted by Path. about 1000 or so songs have that weird path problem. So I selected all the ones that wont play and went to File>Locate moved or missing files and its not finding them. It looks like the 1000 or so songs are all ones that have been added to the playlists that I was trying to recover. These are the songs not playing.

How do I get my new install of MM4 to work the same on my new PC as it did on my old PC? This shouldn't be this difficult
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

This is explained here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... w_computer You need to update the driveID after moving PC.
jamesgillette2009

I have done that previously. And I am still having the same issues. I even downloaded MM5 and tried to get it working, with no luck as well
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you scan the location and now have duplicates?
jamesgillette2009

No I dont have duplicates. The majority of the songs in the playlists are STILL greyed out
jamesgillette2009

I have looked at dozens of links and posts with similar problems and there seems to be ALOT missing from these links you are posting.

Can you PLEASE manually type out the instructions. Im using MM4 Gold
jamesgillette2009

Let me re-word this to help you understand where Im at. I have MM4 installed. Im a Gold user, I purchased the Lifetime license (which apparently means NOTHING, seeing how you guys are trying to make me upgrade to MM5.) All of my songs show up in the library as well as my playlists.

The problem is now ALOT of songs in the library are greyed out and ALL of the songs in the playlists are greyed out as well.

How do I get MM4 to play the music on my new computer that it was playing just fine on my old one?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

On MediaMonkey 4, run the third party Update Location of Files in Database addon. It can fix the changed drive ID as well as changed base folder for your files.
jamesgillette2009

I literally JUST asked you to NOT send links but explain it.

I did that update the location of missing files and now it IS adding them all to the database but now the entire library is doubling in size. Its got all the old ones that do not play AND all the new ones.

And all the songs in the playlists are still greyed out
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It sounds like you're scanning files, which you shouldn't do, until the files have been fixed. The link is to a Third Party addon, you'll need to ask more there if you plan to use it.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
jamesgillette2009 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:47 pm And all the songs in the playlists are still greyed out
Can you post screenshots, one with duplicate files, one from playlist with grayed tracks and one with expanded Entite library tree node?

See my signature on how to add screenshots in forum post).
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts