AutoPlaylist & playcount not working [#20604]

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Theorize5643

AutoPlaylist & playcount not working [#20604]

Post by Theorize5643 »

Hello,

It seems I have some trouble maintaining AutoPlaylist. I have an AutoPlaylist that has one important for the courses I watch on my mobile devices. I have set this AutoPlaylist up as follows (I would like to include screenshots, but anything that resembles a link is not accepted by this forum):

Search: Entire Library
Match all of the following criteria: Playlist is TTC & Played # = 0
Limit to 75 files selected by sort order
Sort by Album

The problem is as follows: when I watch a video (total length is 30 minutes) for a few minutes and then sync, the file is removed from the AutoPlaylist.

Here is an example. Lecture 4 that I was watching has the following properties:
Start time: 0:00.
Stop time: 31:29,788
Play counter: (nothing)
Skip counter: (nothing)
Bookmark: 8:13,204

With this information, the file is excluded from the playlist. Although it is still on the fixed playlist TTC and the play counter is still empty. The files that are still included in the Autoplaylist as described above also have an empty play counter. The play count is not yet set to 1 because the whole file has not played to the end. The bookmark value is determined by MediaMonkey Android.

Changing the criteria 'Played # = 0' to 'Played # = ' (nothing) reverts automatically back to Played # = 0.

In MMW there is a setting 'Increase play counter at 90%'. I changed this to 100% and regardless of that, the file I watched did not even play beyond 30%. Perhaps also useful to know: this issue does not only appear in one file but all videofiles.

When I delete the value at bookmark, the file is again synced back to the device. However, I also need to move the play head to the part I left off. Very troublesome and frustrating, I have to admit.

I do not understand why the bookmark value determines whether a file is included in the AutoPlaylist based on played number. How can I make sure that a file is included based only on the play counter and not on the bookmark?

I use the latest version of MediaMonkey Windows and Android. My laptop has Windows 10 Home.

Is there anything I can do about this? I switched from iTunes in the past 2 weeks, so I am fairly new to MediaMonkey. An attempt to find a solution using Google did get me anywhere.

Many thanks for the effort of trying to provide help.

Kindest regards,
Rob
Lowlander

Re: AutoPlaylist & playcount not working

Post by Lowlander »

Still investigating this issue further, but you can use Played < 1 to include partially played files.
Lowlander

Re: AutoPlaylist & playcount not working

Post by Lowlander »

We've opened a bug for this issue at: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=20604 to evaluate what kind of solution, if any, can be implemented.
Peke

Re: AutoPlaylist & playcount not working [#20604]

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I also tested it now and as Lowlander suggested "Played# < 1" works perfectly.

In addition you can fine grain things by adjusting Played # trigger in Tools -> options -> Playback rules and also use Criterias Last Played is known/unknown to add additional filters and exclusion.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Theorize5643

Post by Theorize5643 »

Hello Peke and Lowlander,

Thanks for the testing and advice. It appears that changing to playcount <1 solves the issue.

Perhaps these screenshots I made are useful for trying to figure out the bug? If so, please let me know.

Kindest regards,
Rob
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
It depends on view, we thought that bookmarked tracks in MM library (Audio books/Podcasts/Videos/...) when play have 0.x so they technically do not fall under Played # = 0, but on other side you are right unless play counter is increased and Played # < 1 then 0.5 falls under Played # = 0.

Let us know how you like what we tweaked in next released build.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Theorize5643

Post by Theorize5643 »

I will let you know. An integer value would also be more consistent with the option 'Increase play counter at: x%'. When the play counter would be a percentage of the actual length, this setting would make no sense. I apologize for all the issues I have posted, but at least this seems to be a genuine bug.
Theorize5643

Post by Theorize5643 »

I am sorry to inform you that there is more wrong than just changing '= 0' to '< 0'.

The last few days I watched one video of a particular TV series. When I wanted to continue watching the rest of the video, I noticed that the video was removed from MMA. I checked the properties in MMW and saw that I only watched about 1 minute of the video and play count was empty:

Here is what is on MMA regarding this particular TV series (lecture 4 is missing):

After removing only the bookmark information in MMW, the missing file was synced back to the device but not accessible in MMA.

This might be important: this problem occurs in video files. In files of the type Audiobooks this is not an issue. After syncing (Wi-Fi) I looked at the last audio file I listened to. Both in MMA and MMW the bookmark is about 1 minute (out of 5 minutes) and this particular file is still present in MMA. The Play counter in MMA is 0 and in MMW it is empty.

Perhaps I should wait until the update, but this seems to be a bigger problem than the play count not being an integer or not showing.
Jason Henry

Post by Jason Henry »

Theorize5643 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:57 am Hello,

It seems I have some trouble maintaining AutoPlaylist. I have an AutoPlaylist that has one important for the courses I watch on my mobile devices. I have set this AutoPlaylist up as follows (I would like to include screenshots, but anything that resembles a link is not accepted by this forum):

Search: Entire Library
Match all of the following criteria: Playlist is TTC & Played # = 0
Limit to 75 files selected by sort order
Sort by Album

The problem is as follows: when I watch a video (total length is 30 minutes) for a few minutes and then sync, the file is removed from the AutoPlaylist.

Here is an example. Lecture 4 that I was watching has the following properties:
Start time: 0:00.
Stop time: 31:29,788
Play counter: (nothing)
Skip counter: (nothing)
Bookmark: 8:13,204

With this information, the file is excluded from the playlist. Although it is still on the fixed playlist TTC and the play counter is still empty. The files that are still included in the Autoplaylist as described above also have an empty play counter. The play count is not yet set to 1 because the whole file has not played to the end. The bookmark value is determined by MediaMonkey Android.

Changing the criteria 'Played # = 0' to 'Played # = ' (nothing) reverts automatically back to Played # = 0.

In MMW there is a setting 'Increase play counter at 90%'. I changed this to 100% and regardless of that, the file I watched did not even play beyond 30%. Perhaps also useful to know: this issue does not only appear in one file but all videofiles.

When I delete the value at bookmark, the file is again synced back to the device. However, I also need to move the play head to the part I left off. Very troublesome and frustrating, I have to admit.

I do not understand why the bookmark value determines whether a file is included in the AutoPlaylist based on played number. How can I make sure that a file is included based only on the play counter and not on the bookmark?

I use the latest version of MediaMonkey Windows and Android. My laptop has Windows 10 Home.

Is there anything I can do about this? I switched from iTunes in the past 2 weeks, so I am fairly new to MediaMonkey. An attempt to find a solution using Google did get me anywhere.

Many thanks for the effort of trying to provide help.

Kindest regards,
Rob
Try adjusting the Played # = 0 criteria to Bookmark is not set. This should focus on the play counter rather than the bookmark value, ensuring your files are included based on play progress. Let me know if that helps.
Theorize5643

Post by Theorize5643 »

Thanks for the reply. I would like to test the bookmark setting, but I cannot find it in the options in AutoPlaylist. This is what I see:

I can't find a Bookmark value. However, I wonder about this approach. It is good to have the bookmark value to pick things up where I left it. Is the bookmark would not be set, wouldn't that be equal to played = 0?

The issue is that even after playing, for example 20% of a video (play count would be 0,2 according to MM), the video is deleted from the device, although the setting is play count is less than 1. And the odd thing is that this only happens with video files. Audio files are not deleted in such a situation.