'Close' Button on Error Messages

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

adamlove

'Close' Button on Error Messages

Post by adamlove »

Hello everyone,

I find myself needing a straightforward "Close" button for situations when error messages like this pop up: Image.

In my experience, these issues often arise when I need to close the app, perhaps it isn't responding, a sync attempt has failed earlier on, or my phone disconnects in the middle of syncing.

I'm not too worried about the potential for database problems since I've never run into any issues after inevitably forcing the app to close (generally because I need to leave for work suddenly). It's a 40k song database, and I make daily backups. Plus, it seems like the app continues to carry on mindlessly loading regardless of which existing button I press. Unfortunately, we can't right-click the system tray icon for a quick fix, leading us to the tedious process of force closing.

This process—opening the Task Manager, sifting through a lengthy list of processes to locate the app, and then selecting 'End Task'—is unnecessarily repetitive and cumbersome. Even more so when we just want to shut the computer down, for example.

Even after force closing, sometimes the damn thing still won't disappear from the system tray.

Adding a 'Close' button to the dialogue box for these moments would greatly streamline the experience and enjoyment of the otherwise fantastic app. Could we please consider implementing this feature?

Thanks so much for your help.
Barry4679

Re: 'Close' Button on Error Messages

Post by Barry4679 »

This has been a since-forever problem with MM5.
I suppose it on their list somewhere, but I also wish that this could be solved.

I don't see these crashes so much any more, but I got two today while trying something outside the narrow stable path that I usually use. I was investigating something reported in another thread.

I too would like it if the "Restart" button did something useful, to avoid the annoying process that you describe to manually find and kill the borked MM app and processes.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Me, three...., I have always wondered if it was just myself having this problem.

None of the available buttons ever seem to solve the problem, I still have to go kill it manually, and start over.

Must be a better way to deal with it.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

The app is 100% unstable whenever these messages appear. I always click continue, close the app followed by restarting it.
Whenever this message appears the app is left in an unstable state. Closing followed by restarting is the safest option.

By Close button, I hope you meant close the application (unload from memory).
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Indeed.

"Continue" implies one might be able to continue onwards without closing first. Any attempt to do so is frustrating, so why have a "continue" button.

What is afe mode anyway?? Has anyone had any success with that?

A "close and restart" button would be much more useful, would it not? Possibly a "Copy error log to clipboard" button??
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Rob_S wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:55 pm What is afe mode anyway?? Has anyone had any success with that?
I presume that it starts MM5 without running any of the Addons you have installed.
It would help if it was an Addon that was crashing.
Mostly it doesn't help, because most addons are relatively simple well tested functions, and they are not what is crashing.
Rob_S wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:55 pm A "close and restart" button would be much more useful, would it not? Possibly a "Copy error log to clipboard" button??
Again, presumably that is exactly what the existing Restart button is supposed to do.
I have seen it work just a couple of times in the last 5 or so years that I have been using or testing MM5. It took many many minutes to get the job done.

I see that Dryst submitted a script that will kill off MM5 instances and restart it.
I don't know how long it takes to get the job done, but maybe they can learn some from that, and get us a restart function that works.
Even if it takes a while, it could issue proof-of-life progress messages as reassurance. What we have now is something that has every appearance of being as dead as the MM5 instance that it purporting to manage.

Also the suggestion to close down MM5, and then restart MM5, presupposes that it is possible to close MM5 down. In most crash situations it is not possible to close MM5 down without killing it, and if you take that route you need to find and kill all the helper functions before you can restart MM5.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

Barry4679 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:35 am I see that Dryst submitted a script that will kill off MM5 instances and restart it.
I don't know how long it takes to get the job done, but maybe they can learn some from that, and get us a restart function that works.
Even if it takes a while, it could issue proof-of-life progress messages as reassurance. What we have now is something that has every appearance of being as dead as the MM5 instance that it purporting to manage.
Thanks for noticing it, and the script works perfectly. This is exactly why I shared it. Even if tasks are frozen and will not close, the script will force them close. I have the scheduled task on pause for the time being to complete my library volume re-analyze. I will resume it today.

The reason I created this was that I was losing last.fm scrobbles due to the freeze issues. Since scheduling this script, my scrobbles no longer cease.