Sync phone (MMA) to MM5

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Lowlander

Re: Sync phone (MMA) to MM5

Post by Lowlander »

In that case change the delete option to all other media files. It should delete any non-matched files and then Sync what's missing.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Lowlander wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:10 pm In that case change the delete option to all other media files. It should delete any non-matched files and then Sync what's missing.
It's not clear to whom this post was intended.
If it was me, I have that option selected, although I cannot be 100% sure whether it was checked when I had the problem many months ago.

I do now understand what the option does, but the manual requires improvement on this point.
All other media files will remove all media files from the device that aren't on the Sync List selection. This includes files not in the MediaMonkey Library that are found on the device. This option is needed if you want Auto-Sync to remove files from the device that you have removed from the MediaMonkey Library.
Read the 1st two sentences. Emphasis is mine.

The intent is unclear.
The wording suggests that, in this mode, MediaMonkey may go outside of its bounds, and delete any unknown media files ... ie kiss goodbye to the images of your now deceased dog, and the video of your child's 1st birthday, or any other media file that MM has no business with.

IMO documentation should assure the user that housekeeping is restricted to just those folders listed in the syncProfile>fileLocations tab

Also that tab says the purpose of the settings are to "Save files to the following locations" ... There is nothing to assure that are the only locations where MM5 is enabled for destructive housekeeping.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

I've tried a few options now and the sync is spotty at best. I am not using wifi sync because it's a lot slower than USB (or so it seems). I tried syncing with what I believed would be the correct full set and MM5 complained that there was an error and MMA displayed a different error. I tried changing settings and got the same. After some tinkering, I was able to select a single album and it appears to have transferred (I could play the audio in MMA). So I then selected all 5 star tracks and it appears to have mostly transferred. It complained that 11 seemingly random tracks were not transferred. I restarted the same sync and it gave the same error. It was late, so I gave up last night.

This afternoon I am trying again and tried adding 4 star tracks. When I tried initiating the sync from the MM5 side, it initially was giving messages suggesting it was going to work but eventually failed.

Is there a way to share the sync issues with a debug log? I know how to share a log from MMA but I'm not sure if that contains all the information needed. I can create an issue in the tracker if that is the best option to get this resolved. Or, I can share whatever would help here.
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

I'm still looking into this and when I look at devices & services/<phone>/music I see around 441 tracks listed. I checked my database and it appears that I have 373 tracks rated as 4 or 5 stars. I did have a playlist for "recently added" synced but I don't think that completed. That list has 146 tracks. If I add those it would be 519 and I don't think there would be any overlap since I haven't rated any of the new tracks yet. I changed the option to delete tracks as suggested above and added my 3 star ratings so will see what I end up with. It currently doesn't appear that the lists match and I'm not exactly sure how to compare them easily to see what is/isn't on the phone.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

What are the exact error messages during Sync? Do the 11 files that failed play in MMW?

MMW debug instructions (step 4b): https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86643
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

I tried with WiFi last night hoping that if I just left it it would eventually work but it failed a couple times right away. I tried restarting the phone and computer but no help. I submitted the MMA log (BQ7IHUJ14). I'll create a ticket now and try debugview this morning. Since this is repeatable it should be fairly easy to reproduce for the log.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

What error do you see when wi-fi sync fails?
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

I tried a couple more times with USB and it appears that most of the list synced eventually after transcoding. I still have a set that refuses to sync for some reason but they play fine in MM5. When I try WiFi sync it just runs through the list of songs very quickly and pops a message saying "Sync error" with the info being "Unknown Error" and letting me adjust the sync settings. It really doesn't mean anything to me other than it's clearly not doing anything (transcoding isn't instant). Since I can't attach images or files I'll open a case. I started one yesterday but got sidetracked and didn't submit.

bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

I have no idea why this process was so difficult, but after many, MANY iterations, I now have a synced set on my phone. I created a ticket with the info I had collected but unfortunately there is likely nothing actionable for the support team to help make changes.
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

I submitted a ticket but don't think there's anything to act on. The files eventually transferred by a combination of USB and WiFi. It was far from smooth but all worked out.

Then today I was listening to and rating some tracks on a new album and afterwards tried to sync MMA via WiFi. None of the files changed other than the rating and yet MMA is currently downloading the 15 tracks because the metadata changed. I thought that was held within the database so I'm surprised it would need to transfer the files.

bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

FWIW, I listened to and rated the remaining 5 tracks on the album and tried another WiFi sync. This time it did the same thing where it said it updated 1 and downloaded 5 tracks. It's definitely doing the conversion so it seem to think there is a difference in the file that requires an update even though the only change in the track was the play count and the rating.