Frequent crashes during heavy tag editing

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Riegelstriegel

Frequent crashes during heavy tag editing

Post by Riegelstriegel »

Hi there,
this problem is difficult to grasp and I hesitated to open a thread for it with that little information, but here we go. We have to start somewhere. :wink:

Media Monkey (I'm on the latest build 2832) keeps frequently crashing for me when I sort files and edit tags. Probably four to five times per day.
The problem is, that I can't really tell why. I just have to work and edit tags in my library for a while and at some point MM crashes out of nowhere.
I currently work with the debug version and tried to capture some logs, but its not that easy when the crashes appear that randomly. The last log I (hopefully) have sent after a crash has ID 4A750000. At that point I was working in the Entire Library media tree and editing redundant genre nodes to merge them with other genres. Obviously this might have resulted in several hundred files to be edited sometimes and constant updates of the media tree. Not sure if this is a problem. I also tend to work swiftly with precise mouse actions and keyboard shortcuts. Maybe triggering several tag edits after another (before the previous ones were finished) is also an issue.

Please let me know if you got the 4A750000 log and if you can make something of it. The log was created shortly after the crash. I got an AV error message first but MM kept running and playing music. I then hit the send logs function from the Help menu manually.
I tried to send logs whenever MM had crashed before, but I am not sure if any made it through. MM mostly did not respond at all anymore after a crash and I had to kill it with the Task Manager.
I couldn't record any crashes with debug viewer so far. Hopefully I can at some point.

Thanks and best Regards!
Peke

Re: Frequent crashes during heavy tag editing

Post by Peke »

Hi,
If you are using normal MM installation can you please check if there is some residual *.el files alongside MM5.db (path can be seen here)?

I know it will take some time and Dbgview can make MM lag but it would be great if you can fetch full debug log. Let me knw if you need helping logging to file on hdd instead of app.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Riegelstriegel

Post by Riegelstriegel »

Another Crash with ID 4A750000 happened just now while editing tags for a few files.

I checked and I don't have any el files in my Appdata folder.

I guess I will just have to let debug view run in the background. As you suggested, I generally don't like to work with debugging enabled because it makes things quite slow. But I will give it a shot in the next few days when I have time for it. Suffering for the greater good. :D
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Thank you. Meantime maybe analyze will show us something.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
seeing three 4A750000 here from build 2832 and user ID = 'Fritz'
I guess these are yours?

But they were generated using menu Help > Debug > Send logs..
so not an automatic crash, can you confirm?
Riegelstriegel

Post by Riegelstriegel »

Hi Ludek, yep that's me!

As I wrote earlier:
I got an AV error message first but MM kept running and playing music. I then hit the send logs function from the Help menu manually.

Here's the AV I did get before I sent the log manually:
I then hit continue and sent the log from the help menu. So MM5 did not "completely" crash at that time and I was still able to navigate the menu a bit.

But at other times, MM did actually crash-crash and gave me Messages like this one:
The ID was A14AD65E. Maybe you can find that log too.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Thanks, A14AD65E will be fixed in the next build, analyzing the further logs..
Riegelstriegel

Post by Riegelstriegel »

I just had another crash with ID 06910000.
Luckily Debug View was running this time so I was able to capture the crash in a proper log.
I opened Ticket #6784 and sent you the file.