Now Playing sorted with Track# but playing tracks based on # column order and not Track#

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Rob_S

Re: Now Playing sorted with Track# but playing tracks based on # column order and not Track# [#20582]

Post by Rob_S »

The more I play with it, the more it looks to be totally messed up.

I can't drag and drop from main window to now playing. I can't find a way to revert now playing to the order in which it will play.

I try shuffle mode, and it does not shuffle.

All this happens after a few attempts to sort "Now Playing" by a column, and then try to rearrange a couple of tracks by drag and drop up or down

Are we two the only ones having this issue???
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
kermaco

Re: Now Playing sorted with Track# but playing tracks based on # column order and not Track#

Post by kermaco »

Thanks for the clarification, the howto and the video. Would it be possible to have save button pop up in the Now Playing toolbar when you make drag and drop or sort order changes there instead?
Lowlander

Re: Now Playing sorted with Track# but playing tracks based on # column order and not Track#

Post by Lowlander »

Manual D&D is saved automatically, sorting isn't.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Rob_S wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:02 pm It does not appear when I manually re-arrange the tracks to the order I would like. It also does not appear when I sort by column inside the now playing. So this still leaves me with no way to save a custom sequence which is not a column sort.

Also, as mentioned by OP, after a while drag and drop becomes disabled in the now playing.

Given that most times I use "Now playing" while displaying "All Tracks" or search results in the main window, this is not very satisfactory.

The desired interface should be that I can re-arrange songs inside "Now playing" by any available means and have them automatically play in that display order.

If that bother some people, then at least can we have a "save order" button inside "now Playing" which would become available after a column sort and/or after manually rearranging my tracks?

If this is not considered a bug, then can it be a feature request?

ps This now seems like a downgrade from the old now playing, at least as long as I used non-shuffle mode, I recall that I could randomize and rearrange to suit, and it would play in display order.
You constantly mix Now Playing (Right Panel) and Playing (tree node and tracks in Main Track browser). these two are two complete different views and can't/do not contain same features.
Now playing do not have columns only Summary column, while Playing note is fully fledged Static playlist with its functions like sorting, D&D is permanent (except when you made custom sort and done also manual D&D which will then not update until you confirm sort+D&D order on save button.

In Now Playing and in Playing D&D is permanent so once you move tracks it is there (except above note).

Randomize Now Playing was in MM 5.0.4 and as I mentioned number of times it is still not decided to bring it back as new shuffle mode is not fully featured ready and scheduled for future updates which bring it bact ATM will make things worse.

I have not seen that D&D stops working in both Now Playing and Playing. Can you make steps so that we can try to replicate. I tested D&D for 2h and moved 200+ tracks and track selections around Now playing and it worked each time. Only moving in front of first track take precision as drop space is bit smaller and have delay to show you where it will end up.
Rob_S wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:40 pm The more I play with it, the more it looks to be totally messed up.

I can't drag and drop from main window to now playing. I can't find a way to revert now playing to the order in which it will play.

I try shuffle mode, and it does not shuffle.

All this happens after a few attempts to sort "Now Playing" by a column, and then try to rearrange a couple of tracks by drag and drop up or down

Are we two the only ones having this issue???
Again I think you mix Now playing and Playing (tree node) two different views, one summary one Static playlist.
Re shuffle: After enabling shuffle and then re arranged tracks I disabled Shuffle and enabled it and it shuffled tracks again. What exactly it does not work for you?

When You drag and drop you need to make sure that Drop line shows if it dos not show it means either that to dragged track(s) to middle of text or that you didn't waited till MM recalculates playback order (that depends on number of tracks in now playing). Hope I cleared something here ;) If not will be glad to explain.

If you remember we only started to reinvent Shuffle mode in 5.1 and will be improved a lot in future. I am first that was not satisfied with current behavior, but we discovered something new and much much better.

EDIT: As you noticed Now playing do not have columns, but you can edit what info will be shown in Playback Rules.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Ummm, I can most definitely differentiate between "Playing Node" and "now playing".

As clearly explained above, I want "all tracks" in main window, and I want to manipulate my playing list in "Now Playing"

Also, if you look at the image I posted above of my full MM screen, you will see that my "Now Playing" does have column headers. This is because I am using list view, and not simplified list. OP must be the same.

Both of us have pointed out that the problem occurs after we sort "Now playing" by clicking on a column header.

After that, drag and drop no longer works, shuffle no longer works, and there is no way to save the resuting order within "Now Playing"

Not sure if it makes any difference, but I happen to have bookmarking turned on..

Still don't see the problem???
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Aha, I finally see what you are talking about. Problem is that I use simplified view.

Let me know if missed something eg. what else is different from Playing and Now playing.

https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=20582
Best regards,
Peke
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Great, you have summarized correctly.

It is sometimes amazing how little differences in point of view and setup makes problems hard to explain and understand :)
Peke

Post by Peke »

Rob_S wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:55 am Great, you have summarized correctly.

It is sometimes amazing how little differences in point of view and setup makes problems hard to explain and understand :)
Now I am even more glad that we got to bottom of it. Thank you for persistence and patience ;)
Best regards,
Peke
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I hope Michals comment on the above noted bug does not derail a fix.

Whatever order the now playing list is in, it should correspond to the order it will play.

Thus, there will be no confusion as to where a dropped file will land.

IE If I want my list sorted by artist, but then I want to reposition one single track, or add another track out of artist order, I should be able to do that.

Also, of course, why should it behave differently depending on the chosen view?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Column sort should not make changes realtime like in Playing view, but yes they should behave same.
Rob_S wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:18 pm Thus, there will be no confusion as to where a dropped file will land.
You are maybe right as Manual D&D should trigger save playlist order, we will see what Michal will say. Anyway this is movement in right direction.
Best regards,
Peke
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

One more issue to remember - at present I believe the save order button only appears after sorting by a column header in the playing node.

Even there, it does not appear after a manual drag and drop re-arrangement.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Rob_S wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:40 pm Even there, it does not appear after a manual drag and drop re-arrangement.
It will never will as D&D is permanent action eg. playback order is permanently updated on D&D.
Rob_S wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:40 pm One more issue to remember - at present I believe the save order button only appears after sorting by a column header in the playing node.
Yes, that is by design as it is the case where it is unclear if user wish to sort view to locate track or to permanently change playback order, so confirmation by saving new order is needed.
Best regards,
Peke
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I'm sorry, and you are right, there is no need to save order after manual re-arrangement.

So, all we need is a way to do it in the 'Now Playing" window. I would be quite happy to find that option in the three-dot menu.

Actually I quite like the idea that a drag and drop would automatically save the order if needed, and allow the drag to proceed. It should be safe to assume that if user want to make fine adjustments to or add tracks to a sorted list, he does so from that current visible sort forward.
Jason Henry

Re: Excited New Member - Need Some Help with MediaMonkey!

Post by Jason Henry »

Peke wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:51 pm
Jason Henry wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:44 am Hey everyone,

Just wanted to drop in and say I'm super stoked to have joined the MediaMonkey forum! I've been using MediaMonkey for Windows 5.1.0.2832 Beta, and it's been an awesome experience so far. However, I've encountered a couple of things that I could use some help with, and I thought who better to ask than the fantastic community here!

1. Now Playing Sorting Issue:
So, when I drag and drop tracks from Music > All Tracks to Now Playing, they seem to retain the order they were in originally. Even when I try to sort Now Playing by columns like Track#, it doesn't seem to affect the playback order. Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a workaround or setting I might be missing?

2. Drag and Drop Limitation:
Another thing I noticed is that after a few attempts, dragging and dropping tracks from Music > All Tracks or even from Windows 11 File Explorer folders stops working. It's a bit puzzling, and I'm wondering if anyone has run into a similar issue and found a solution.

I'm hoping to get some insights from the seasoned users here. Let me know if you've got any tips, tricks, or if I'm just missing something obvious. Looking forward to being a part of this awesome community!

Best Regards,
Jason.
re 1.: See my video Above which will show you that you need manually authorize playback order changes based on current playing sort order, otherwise sort order will be just view sort.

Re2.: I can't replicate, for me I can easily add tracks to Playing directly from File Explorer I only wonder why you do that as you can simply use MM folders browser to do same + much more.
Thanks!
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Actually I quite like the idea that a drag and drop would automatically save the order if needed, and allow the drag to proceed. It should be safe to assume that if user want to make fine adjustments to or add tracks to a sorted list, he does so from that current visible sort forward.
I do have another idea which might simplify the solution. That would be to have it so that ALL changes to the order in "Now Playing" including sort by column header automatically become the saved order - possibly optional setting. (You could still have the option to revert, as has been discussed frequently before.)

This way, no save order button is required, and there is no need to block drag and drop.