Syncing a few songs takes all day - is that right?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

VoxVulgus

Syncing a few songs takes all day - is that right?

Post by VoxVulgus »

When I add a few songs to my pc library of 12k songs, must I spend all day just to get the pc & phone to match - or is there some settings or process change needed?

First the database:
1. I add songs to my pc folders, then rescan to update the pc library.
2. I connect the phone (by usb-c), select ONLY the new songs and Send them via sync to the phone. If everything works okay, that only takes about as long as you would expect for copying files to a phone.
Note - If I were to just select Sync phone - it would attempt to resync the entire library, taking a few seconds per song, even though no resend is needed, which takes several hours, and then would give me an error list of every song already on the device as "problem with copying file".
3. But the playlists on the phone must also be updated. So I select each affected playlist and send it to the phone via sync. (These are auto-playlists, and a new song may appear in several of the playlists). This process appears to also be attempting to recopy every song in the list, which takes even longer than a full library sync, and also results in a long list of copy failures. And it fails, and does NOT actually add the new songs to the list on the phone.

So my questions are:
1. Is this process I'm using right?
2. Why can't MMW already know which files are new and only attempt to copy only those?
3. Even when its copying without cause, why is it reporting errors?
4. How do I get auto-playlists to update on the phone?

My setup is Win11, MMW5, Android pixel phone, latest versions of OS and MMW in both locations. The songs are stored on a local network NAS and appear on the laptop as a netshare that has a permanently assigned drive letter.

I have NEVER been able to get a full matching sync between my laptop and phone except by wiping all files from phone and doing a full initial sync that takes a full day or two. This has been true over many years using several versions of Windows, hardware, MMW and Android. What should I be doing differently, or is this the expected behavior?

Thanks.
Lowlander

Re: Syncing a few songs takes all day - is that right?

Post by Lowlander »

Which Build (Help > About) of MMW are you using, and are you using MMA? Presumably you're using USB Sync?
VoxVulgus

Post by VoxVulgus »

Windows Build - 5.0.4.2693
Android Build - 2.0.0.1160
USB Sync
Last edited by VoxVulgus on Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I recommend trying the latest MediaMonkey 5.1 beta which has improved on this.
VoxVulgus

Post by VoxVulgus »

I'll do that, but first, can you confirm what the right process is so I don't waste my time?

I want any changes on the PC to updated to the phonewhen I've added a few songs or updated the meta data on a few songs,

1. Can I just select update all and expect MMW to ONLY do those songs, or must I track and select only the individual songs I've changed since the last update?

2. When you sync an auto-playlist, is it supposed to copy just the list itself, or is it supposed to recopy every song in the list?

If there's some user doc that explains how the actual process should work (not just explain the settings), then please direct me there. I haven't been able to find anything and the many hours I've spent on this is primarily just trying to figure out what is or isn't broken behaviour.

Thanks!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

1) Auto-Sync should only Sync files that are new or changed on your PC.

2) Auto-Sync will Sync any files on the AutoPlaylist that haven't been Synced already, but should not re-sync any files already on the device.