YouTube "plays" displayed in MediaMonkey ?

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Utestit

YouTube "plays" displayed in MediaMonkey ?

Post by Utestit »

Hi !

the 'YouTube button" in the Artist view is a great addition to MMW5 ! (found out about it a while ago - thank you so much !)

Any way to have the number of plays (YouTube plays, not my "Played #") displayed in MediaMonkey ?
It helps me getting familiar with an artist I just discovered, starting with his "most popular" titles/songs. Some kind of "Best of"...
note: the "Top Tracks" does this for MyLibrary, but this is based on my number of "played"

Would be great !
Many thanks again !

note: running MMW5 5.0.4 Gold - could shift to 5.1 Beta if it helps.
MiPi

Re: YouTube "plays" displayed in MediaMonkey ?

Post by MiPi »

Hello,

sadly not. Google has a pretty strict quota on API requests and this would eat too much "points", as it would mean additional API request for every track each time. We prefer standard YT search to work.
Maybe in the future, if quota will be more friendly.
Utestit

Post by Utestit »

thanks for the reply, MiPi.

Got it, no worries.

note: just in case it helped (not sure I understood the "every track, each time"), no need to update the info once it has been included (such as upon initially adding the track). That info would be sufficient to get most popular tracks - even if new views are added on YouTube over time.

note2: again, just in case: maybe that notion of "popular tracks"/"top tracks" is present elsewhere (Music Brainz, ...) and could be legally imported (the same way as lyrics are).

And a question, if I may : as per initial msg, "Top Tracks" already exist in some views of MM5 for those YouTube tracks lists. Would suit me fine, but is seems to appear in a more or less "random" way (for some titles, not others; for some Youtube views, not others). Any clue on this / way to make it a bit more systematic ?

Thank you so much !
Utestit

Post by Utestit »

Utestit wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:58 am And a question, if I may : as per initial msg, "Top Tracks" already exist in some views of MM5 for those YouTube tracks lists. Would suit me fine, but is seems to appear in a more or less "random" way (for some titles, not others; for some Youtube views, not others). Any clue on this / way to make it a bit more systematic ?

Thank you so much !
Hi MiPi,

if you have a few secs, any clue on what "Top Tracks" indicated in the YouTube views of MM5 are based on ?
and if you can, any clue/help on above welcome !
(as an example, Joni Mitchell, couple 100s of titles in the list, but no "Top Tracks")

Thanks again !
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Utestit wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:19 pm if you have a few secs, any clue on what "Top Tracks" indicated in the YouTube views of MM5 are based on ?
and if you can, any clue/help on above welcome !
(as an example, Joni Mitchell, couple 100s of titles in the list, but no "Top Tracks")
I see the "Top Tracks" panel in the YouTube tab for the artist Joni Mitchell. See here

The control beside the "Top Tracks" heading is a toggle button. It toggles between "Tracks" and "Top Tracks".
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Utestit

Post by Utestit »

Thanks a lot for your feed-back & check, Barry4679.

You are luckier than I am: this control sometimes allows me to to perform that shift Top/All tracks.
However, in many cases (such as Joni Mitchell), it will only toggle the Title list order (A-Z to Z-A).

I made a screenshot, but am not sure how to share it.

This control seems to have an erratic behaviour. Any clue ?

Many thanks !
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Utestit wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:20 pm You are luckier than I am: this control sometimes allows me to to perform that shift Top/All tracks.
However, in many cases (such as Joni Mitchell), it will only toggle the Title list order (A-Z to Z-A).
If you are getting a toggle of Title list order, maybe you are clicking the Title column header, instead of the the little down arrow in the circle? See the image in my previous post.
MM sometimes jerks the display about while it is loading data in the background. So it can be easy to miss your click target.

How are you navigating to Joni Mitchell? Are you :
  1. typing her name in the search control in the toolbar (ie. beside the magnifying glass icon)?
  2. Or are you clicking on her name on one of her tracks or albums in your collection?

I can replicate your issue if I use method #1
Do you see Joni's biograph? ie. this?

I think that the missing information using method #1 should be considered a bug in MM5.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Utestit

Post by Utestit »

Hi Barry !

thanks again for looking at my issue & sugggestions.
Inputs below :
Barry4679 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:47 am If you are getting a toggle of Title list order, maybe you are clicking the Title column header, instead of the the little down arrow in the circle?
I do actually click on the proper button, when it appears: in some cases I get the "toggle of Top/", in some others not
Barry4679 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:47 am How are you navigating to Joni Mitchell? Are you :
  1. typing her name in the search control in the toolbar (ie. beside the magnifying glass icon)?
  2. Or are you clicking on her name on one of her tracks or albums in your collection?
navigating with your #2 option (clicking on Artist name)
Barry4679 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:47 am Do you see Joni's biograph? ie. this?

I think that the missing information using method #1 should be considered a bug in MM5.
I do see Joni Mitchell's bio - but not the button you are getting (in her case, nor in most cases)
I guess there may be a bug somewhere...

Actually, I no longer manage to get that "Top Liste/All Titles" button (or couldn't find any artist where I had been getting it).

So any clue welcome ! Or is there any place I should log this bug into...

Thanks !