[REQ] Please add the "Tags" field to the Metadata

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

BunnyGandhi

[REQ] Please add the "Tags" field to the Metadata

Post by BunnyGandhi »

Man what a disappointment to learn that all the "tags" options in the menus don't actually have anything at all to do with tags.

We get to fill out, search and filter music by mood, quality and other very specific metadata fields - why would the tags field be left out for videos? It was actually one of the things I was looking forward to the most to organize my videos.

Next best thing would be using a custom field I guess but this makes the tags unreadable by other software, binds me to MediaMonkey forever unless I want to retag thousands of video files if I ever want to switch software and most importantly .... the tag field is right there! To me it seems like on a technical level it's no different than literally any other metadata field you let us fill in.
Why have basically every metadata field be editable but then chose to omit one of the most important ones for organizing your files?
Lowlander

Re: Please add the "Tags" field to the Metadata

Post by Lowlander »

What "tags" are you referring to? What tagging standards support this field and as what?
BunnyGandhi

Post by BunnyGandhi »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:03 pm What "tags" are you referring to? What tagging standards support this field and as what?
I don't know all the standards that support it but it's at the very least a field in mp4 files that allows one to add keywords to videos to make searching them easier.
I may have my sports recordings named something like

teamA vs team B, date.mp4

but want to be able to find them using more keywords than just that.
So you tag "basketball, grand slam, nba, jordan" etc.
Just... tags... yknow?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The problem is that it would need to be a widely supported tag as MediaMonkey supports many formats. Otherwise the values wouldn't get written to the files for most file types.