Album Art on MMA different than on MMW

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

DiegoPC

Album Art on MMA different than on MMW

Post by DiegoPC »

I decided to write this because I've spent countless of hours trying to solve this issue and I can't get it corrected and I can't find an answer online.

Here's the thing: I edited all my files and folders with MMW using high quality album covers. Once my whole library was perfect, I copied the whole Music folder and subfolders to a mSD card to use on my android phone with WWA. But to my surprise, some (about 10%) of the albums either show wrong album covers (don't even know where they came from) or low resolution ones.

I put the mSD card back on my computer, loaded all the files to MMW, re-edited the conflicting Albums, even retagged the songs one by one (neverending task) to delete all album covers from the tags and reload the high resolution ones. Everything is, yet again, perfect on my computer. Before reinstalling the mSD in my phone, I cleaned all MMA cache and stuff, including the folders it had created, uninstalled MMA, restarted the phone, and reinstalled MMA. After that, I inserted the mSD card and reloaded all the folders back on the app, only to find the conflicting albums are STILL showing the wrong covers. I have done this several times, in different ways, I have even cleared ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags. I don't know what else to do.

As a note, on most of these conflicting albums, some (or most) of the individual songs (never the first one) have the correct Album Art. So why have some files saved the album art I loaded and some others haven't? And why have they loaded art that, in some cases, is not even related to the album/artist or even related to music!? For example, for some Paul McCartney albums, it loaded the cover for his Archive Collection or remastered albums, with are "correct" for the album, but not the ones I want. In some other cases, it loaded pictures of the artist, but not an album cover or the cover for that particular album.

I will greatly appreciate any help with this!
Lowlander

Re: Album Art on MMA different than on MMW

Post by Lowlander »

Sync copies 1 Artwork per Album.
rusty

Post by rusty »

To elaborate on the previous response:

If you want metadata and artwork to sync between MediaMonkey for Windows and MediaMonkey for Android, then you need to use the Sync functionality rather than just manually copying tracks to the SD card. That keeps your copy of the library on the phone in sync with the copy in your PC as far as ratings, play history, playlists, metadata, etc.

Manually copying tracks to an SD card will not achieve this.

-Rusty
Cinnamingirl

Post by Cinnamingirl »

Not to be flippant, but nah. I've had this problem for... more than a year now? I've done everything suggested in every post I could find about this issue short of factory resetting my phone - cleared the cache, uninstalled both MMW and MMA in an attempt to get rid of the artwork, deleted all the artwork and redid it, deleted my entire library and resynced it - and I still have discrepancies in the album art between MMW and MMA. I sync using both USB and wifi because I read somewhere that had some effect (which is bonkers - there are occasionally times when I need to sync and don't have wifi, even in 2024, and I don't want only half my metadata to be synced because I used the USB process).

I've got one right now where the album in MMW and MMA have the same album artist and album (although the album is blank because I don't usually care about them) and for some reason, two of the songs in the "album" have been assigned to a group with a particular piece of art, even though the individual songs also have their own album art. After I edited in MMW to reinforce that they have the same album artist and resynced, that "album" of two songs disappeared from my MMA and removed the individual songs' album art. At no point did I delete the individual songs' artwork and in fact, it's still visible in the MMW interface. But it's just not in MMA, which is really frustrating.

That's just one example, and honestly, I wish there was an option to just turn off MMW/MMA's "management" of my album artwork. I don't want that, especially when it's as buggy as it is. Even if there was some documentation that explains how the system *actually* handles the artwork, that would be cool, because then I could use that information to manage my own artwork in a way that isn't going to actively conflict with what MM is doing. And hey - I'm just not complaining - I write documentation for a living so if someone said, "here's the info, can you put it in our wiki," I'd be happy to do it.
-----
MMA on a Pixel 6a
MMW on a Surface Pro 8
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi,

Sorry for the late response. Here's a summary of the differences and limitations that can result in these types of issues:

1) MMA doesn't support artwork when Album="". MMW does.
2) If multiple tracks with the same Album name have different album art, MMA only shows the first. MMW 2024 (beta) supports per-track album art.
3) MMW supports multiple images per album. MMA only supports 1.
4) When album art isn't tagged, during a scan MMW will associate artwork in a directory with all tracks in the directory
5) If Album Art is missing, and Album Art lookup is enabled, MMA and MMW may lookup different images.

We hope to gradually eliminate the limitations in MMA so that sync between MMW and MMA will always result in identical artwork.

-Rusty