Casting irregularly breaks after switching to different renderer

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

rusty

Re: Casting irregularly breaks after switching to different renderer

Post by rusty »

Hi drunknmonkey,

Thanks for all the debug logs. The issue doesn't appear to be a regression in recent builds 116x, but rather is associated with the current chromecast implementation needing to be more robust in cases of network instability.

We're hoping to release build 1167 to production, and work on this issue subsequently.

Thanks!

-Rusty
drunknmonkey

Post by drunknmonkey »

MMA 1167
Log ID: QMUINC1UNE
Description: casting connection got lost and playback stopped. When turning on the phone's screen a popup notification "casting connection recovered" appeared. The Speaker was still selected as playback device. Then I checked the logs of the WLAN router and about 3 Minutes later I pressed play and casting connection was lost. playback started on the device

The log of the WLAN router shows no reconnects of the phone and the speaker during playback.
drunknmonkey

Post by drunknmonkey »

Log ID: M3TMQAICVG
Description: playback stopped while casting. after opening MMA notification "casting connection recovered" appeared. Pressing play button started casting to originally connected speaker but repeated the last song.

Again the log of the WLAN router shows no reconnects of the phone and the speaker during playback.
drunknmonkey

Post by drunknmonkey »

Log ID: 2M6NJRE5E9
Description: casting stopped. When pushing play in MMA casting started again, but at now playing list index - 2.

After pushing play:
Log ID: MILYL4UJ3M
Description: remote volume control of chromecast speaker not possible via volume keys of phone
martin.bohac

Post by martin.bohac »

According to the logs, the MMA application is being terminated and therefore
casting is also terminated. Sometimes it continues for a while depending on how many tracks are still in the queue.
Then when MMA opens it tries to resume casting which is why it says "casting connection recovered"

It used to be due to a battery optimization that killed MMA in the background, but I can see that it is disabled for MMA and therefore shouldn't happen.

Does the problem occur if MMA is in the foreground and the phone display is on?
Does the problem occur when the phone is on the charger?
Do you have any other battery optimization app installed?

Please check again in system settings/Apps/MediaMonkey/Battery if "Allow background activity" is enabled and "Optimize battery usage" is set to "Not optimized"

Best regards.
Martin
drunknmonkey

Post by drunknmonkey »

Here are my observations from the weekend:

Log ID: IL13IFKPYF
Description: casting connection lost after about 30 minutes. Phone was on the charger and screen turned off all the time

Log ID: 2BZRLUJY39
Description: casting connection lost. Energy setting 'standby for unused apps' is disabled. MMA energy setting is "unrestricted"

Log ID: VBL8ZPTTBD
Description: lost casting connection after 18 songs with screen turned off. Battery mode is "unrestricted".
Last night Deezer app streamed 4 hours with default battery mode "optimised".

Log ID: 4LCLSP76CG
Description: With battery mode "optimised" (the default) MMA warns to change to "unrestricted" when selecting the chromecast speaker. If I ignore this warning MMA loses casting connection after 1 or 2 songs if screen is turned off.

Log ID: YDMLBL8FNJ
Description: Logs after playing music via bluetooth for over 4 hours, MMA in background and screen turned off, Battery mode "optimised" was selected.

Log ID: IBZU4I9T9B
Description: playback stopped after 29 songs with battery mode "unrestricted". casting connection to speaker seemed to stay alive. When I pushed play the streaming continued - but at the playlist position i minus 8.
I didn't want to listen to the same songs again and started playback from another position in now playing list. Then casting connection got lost after only 2 songs with Log ID BSPGNESB42

I could not effectively test with screen turned on, as Samsung's maximum screen timeout is only 10 minutes.

The questions are:
- why is MMA losing casting connection after that random period of plackback time - sometimes after 30 songs, sometimes 2 songs?
- why is MMA not getting killed when playing via bluetooth?
- why is Deezer app not getting killed when casting - even when in default battery mode "optimised"?
drunknmonkey

Post by drunknmonkey »

I have to admit that Deezer App has problems too. If I start playback, push Deezer to the background and turn the screen off, music will cast for hours. BUT it looks like Deezer app get's killed by android too and therefore google home app takes over the casting control. If I open Google Home app after one hour of playback, it shows correct current song. If I then open Deezer, playback stops and playlist position shows different/wrong last played song. It looks like Deezer app does a new start at that point.

This points to the hint that Martin gave, that Google continues playing songs. But Deezer does it for hours and MMA stops after 2 to ~30 tracks, depending on lunar phase and wheater.
drunknmonkey

Post by drunknmonkey »

One more thing... In the scenario I described in my last post, battery mode for Deezer app was the default "optimized".
I just changed this to "unrestricted" and Deezer app casted in background for 2 hours without losing casting connection.

I guess (and I bet you guys hope) this is my last post for now until I get some feedback from you.
martin.bohac

Post by martin.bohac »

I believe I found the cause and fixed it in the next build 2.0.0.1168.
Thank you for your patience and cooperation.
rusty

Post by rusty »

fyi, build 1168 is rolling out to beta testers. Can you confirm whether it solves the issue for you?

Thanks!

-Rusty

p.s. to test MediaMonkey beta builds:
- in MMA, tap Options | About | Register for test builds.
Once you're registered, then your next update will be to the current MMA beta. To update immediately, go to MediaMonkey in the Play store and click 'Update'.
drunknmonkey

Post by drunknmonkey »

I am still stuck on 1167 - no update available. I am reading in another thread that 1169 is rolling out for another user already. Are you rolling out the update for certain regions only?
rusty

Post by rusty »

1169 is rolling out to all beta testers worldwide. If you're not yet subscribed to beta builds, in MMA, tap Options | About | Register for test builds. Once you're registered, then your next update will be to the current MMA beta. To update immediately, go to MediaMonkey in the Play store and click 'Update' (if 'Update' doesn't appear for MMA, try restarting the Play store app).

-Rusty
Kap1A

Post by Kap1A »

No updates for me too. 1167 was the last, phone has the latest updates and playstore is working for all other apps.
I had to install the update manually via playstore, that worked.
MMA 2.0.0.1173 + MMW5 + Orbsmart S86 pro ( android 9) + Orbsmart remote AM1 pro + Nova-Launcher + Moto E22 (android 12) Teufel One M + Teufel One S + Teufel Supreme On Bluetooth
drunknmonkey

Post by drunknmonkey »

Since you announced that 1168 is rolling out on March 29, I manually searched for the MMA update via Playstore at least 5 times every day. Playstore always said that no update is available. Yesterday finally 1169 arrived for me.
I guess that your rollout strategy is far too tentative.

Anyway.....
Log ID: 452IYRAIKP
Description: finally... over 10 hours of streaming
including several hours with screen turned off

I am happy now :)
rusty

Post by rusty »

Whoo hoo--thanks for confirming!

One question re log ID 452IYRAIKP: did any particular behavior trigger the crash?

Thanks!

-Rusty