Need help wrapping up migration to a new PC

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

adhalejr

Need help wrapping up migration to a new PC

Post by adhalejr »

Problem: I'm not seeing the albums, artists, tracks, etc. in my "Music" collection as they show up on the previous PC. I have a second collection which *does* show those items correctly.

What I did: I followed the instructions at these links to accomplish the move:

https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... w_computer
https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... sign_Drive

I copied the MM5.DB, MediaMonkey.ini, and persistent.json files. The actual media (song) files are at the same path (absolute location) as on the previous PC (D:\Media\Music). For the collection which *does* show correctly, I specified the new "Location" per the link above (i.e. deal with the "drive ID" issue).

However, I am unable to specify the new location for the "Music" collection because, when I click "Location" under that collection, nothing shows up. In other words, there's nothing on which to right-click so that I can set "Media Properties."

*Note:* Best I can tell, MediaMonkey *does* see the albums/songs. When I click "Home" in the media tree, it shows "Artists" and "Albums", each with 9 entries and each with a "see all" link which, when I click shows what looks to be all the albums/artists/tracks that I expect to see.

I've tried "Edit collection" on the "Music" collection, but everything looks the same as on the other PC; and still nothing shows up.

So I need to know what I can do (hopefully something! and hopefully something other than "rescan") to have the expected artists/albums/tracks, etc. show up in my "Music" collection as they do on the previous PC (to which I still have access).

Any direction? Please?

Thanks!
adhalejr

Re: Need help wrapping up migration to a new PC

Post by adhalejr »

Bump. I can't move forward using MM without resolving this issue.

Can anyone help? Lowlander?

In case it matters, I do have a Gold license.

Thanks.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you post screenshot of MM where you are missing your things?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
adhalejr

Post by adhalejr »

I'll try.

Here's what I see at "Home" as the partial list of "All Artists" that I expect to see in my "Music" collection.

My empty "Music" collection.

The "Location" for the "Music" collection, also empty.

The "Music" collection properties.

As I said in the original post, I have another collection whose files are under the same drive-folder location as "Music," and that collection's content shows up as I expect it to.

I appreciate the reply. Thanks.
adhalejr

Post by adhalejr »

Another bump. I'm a gold license holder. I tried to supply the requested screen shots.

Really need some help. Thank you.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The Music Collection is restricted to showing files from D:\Media\Music, are the files actually still there? It doesn't seem this is the case.
adhalejr

Post by adhalejr »

Yes, the files are still there. That's how they're visible on the "Home" screen in the media tree (at least that's the only explanation I'd have as to how they show up there).

FWIW, it seems to me that the lack of any "Location" under the "Music" collection doesn't make sense - see screenshot in previous message. Why wouldn't it show as "D: [DATA]" like the other collection does even if there happen to be no files there?

Any other questions? Thanks for replying.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Remove Path as Criteria and see if shows file. If it does you can try adding it back.
adhalejr

Post by adhalejr »

OK, that definitely made a difference. It certainly looks like all my "Artists" are there now, which is the primary way I manage and navigate my "Music" collection.

Still a couple of issues:

First, if I re-add "Path contains D:\Media\Music", everything disappears from the collection again. I went in and looked at the Path property of songs when they are showing up in the collection, and they all begin with "D:\Media\Music". (Note that I also tried "starts with".)

Second, with the "Path" rule removed from the collection, here's what I now see in the "Location" under the "Music" collection:

What do I do about that? There should only be 1 as far as I can tell.

Thanks again.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You should re-assign [Data].

Does the first D: [Data] without Artwork have any files in it?

You may have scanned files prior to re-assigning the drive after the move. Thus re-assigning may cause duplicates.
adhalejr

Post by adhalejr »

A few remarks by way of response:

1. I have not done *any* re-scanning after the move to the new PC. I'm desperately hoping to avoid that because I haven't had the greatest experience with mass re-scanning.

2. There are 3 items in that "Location" view, only 1 of which has any artwork.

3. I have to go down quite a few levels under any of those 3 "locations" to find folders which have any files in them. All of them have files someplace. Only the middle one, with artwork, actually has "music" in it.

Given that information, how should I proceed? Should I:

a) Re-assign the middle one, with artwork, via the "Media Properties" context menu item?

b) "Remove" (context menu entry) the other two locations? If I do that, it won't affect the files in them that are correctly part of my other collection, will it?

c) Try re-introducing the "Path" criteria to the collection definition?

Thanks again.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If the middle one has what you're looking for you could remove the other 2. Do note that this removes any files associated with those 2 from the MediaMonkey Library. This isn't a problem if you don't want them in the MediaMonkey Library.
adhalejr

Post by adhalejr »

I removed those 2 extra "locations" (from the database but not from the file system).

But if I re-add the "Path" criterion to the "Music" collection with "contains" the value "D:\Media\Music", everything disappears from the collection again.

Interestingly, if I use the value "\Media\Music" (i.e. no drive letter or colon), everything shows up as expected.

I've had that criterion "Path" "contains" "D:\Media\Music" on that collection for over a decade. It's worked on my previous PC when it was on a spinning disk drive. It continued working on that PC when I upgraded that "D:" drive to SSD. And it worked on that PC when I upgraded from MM4 to MM5.

Now all of a sudden, when I move everything to this new PC - where the drive letter and path are identical, it stops working.

I can live with it as "\Media\Music" for the time being. But it certainly makes me worried that something in my MM5 database is wonky such that what to me looks like a simple string comparison between the "Path" property on the database entries and the collection criterion seems to fail.

So at this point it would be really helpful if you had any final recommendations to help relieve my concern about the state of my MM5 database or to fix it / clean it up.

Thanks again for your continued replies and patience.
adhalejr

Post by adhalejr »

Another bump. See my most recent questions prior to this reply.

Thank you.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
As I replied you in viewtopic.php?p=516300#p516300 you should share your library with us in support ticket.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts