"Album Artist" field is populated with "Artist" field data

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

Phil_B

"Album Artist" field is populated with "Artist" field data

Post by Phil_B »

I have all my MP3s on a hard disk. That's my master copy and I transfer files to devices from there. When I transfer files to my Android phone (version 10.0.0.298), the "Album Artist field" in MediaMonkey is populated with the "Artist" field from my files. The two fields are populated with different information on my HDD, but both end up with the "Artist" field data when I view them in MediaMonkey.

Is this a bug that can be fixed?
Peke

Re: "Album Artist" field is populated with "Artist" field data

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Unfortunately this is not a bug, it is a build in feature.

To explain, if you have Album Information but Album artist is missing it is Auto Populated by Artist due the fact that each Album also have Album Artist even that be VARIOUS ARTISTS (Compilations) so MM and MMA know how to Populate Albums Listing and Avoid THE BEST Albums from multiple Artists listed as One eg. "Queen - The Best" and "Beatles - The Best" or "Various - Billboard 90's top 100" correctly show as Album, but all tracks have its own Artist.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Phil_B

Post by Phil_B »

But I have Album information and Album Artist isn't missing, so why is Album Artist being overwritten in that situation?
Last edited by Phil_B on Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It sounds like you're directly copying files to the device in which case you're relying on Android Media Scanner which is known to handle tags poorly.

A Sync from MMW5 would work better.
MattTown

Post by MattTown »

I use MM5/MMA sync to transfer music files from PC to an Android phone and can confirm that the sync process respects the MM5 distinction between Artist and Album Artist, eg MMA reports that for the track "Walking on Sunshine" from the album "80s Chart Toppers", the Artist is "Katrina and the Waves" and Album Artist is "Various".
Cheers
Matt
MM 2024.3003 (WEF 9 Mar 2024, Portable Mode), Gold lifetime license, user since 2009.
Currently 25K files. Library and music files are on a separate partition (E:\) on external USB drive.
Windows Surface Book (Original), i5, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD.
Win10 Home 64 bit, update: 22H2 19045.3570
MMA 2.0.0.1103, Android 13 on Nokia XR20, music files on SD card.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Phil,

Assuming that syncing between MMW and MMA solved the problem, be aware that MMA, by default, shows an 'Artists' node on the home screen / 'Artists' tab in Music. This node/tab is representative of both Artists _and_ Album Artists. If you want to browse by 'Track Artists' or 'Album Artists' you can tap the 'Edit' view button on the home screen to customize which nodes/tabs are displayed (though this requires an MMA Pro license).

-Rusty