Applying Tag Fields During Rip of CD

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey Server and learn about the newest builds.

Moderators: drakinite, Gurus

DazedOblivion

Applying Tag Fields During Rip of CD

Post by DazedOblivion »

Let me start off by saying that MediaMonkey really meets my needs. It's great. However, as others have noted, I am not liking the fact that certain skins that I came to depend on with Ver. 4 ("Glided" or "Gilded" was what I used), I have lost the ability to use, and it's a sad loss.

However, what I just registered to say here, though, is this:

When I am ripping a CD into my collection, there are certain fields that CAN be tagged and, after the ripping of that CD, they "stick." These fields that survive the rip are: Title; Artist(s); Album; Album Artist; Genre(s); and Date. However, the other fields, when they are completed prior to the rip, do NOT "stick" - after the rip these OTHER fields, even if something is entered into the field, are found to be empty after the rip. They don't survive the rip. These fields that won't "stick" are: Composer; Conductor; and Original Date.

I add a lot of classical music from CDs into my digital music collection, and it would be good if the fields Composer; Conductor; and Original Date could be entered prior to the rip and actually survive the rip and not end up blank.

Another problem that I am having is that when I select all tracks and then update that Artist(s) field, when I hit "OK" not all tracks are successfully updated as expected but instead one or more tracks fail to update and, for those tracks that fail to update, I have to repeat the process and it usually succeeds the second time around. This is something that never happened with Ver. 4.

I have been frequently hoping for an update with the expectation that some of these bugs will go away, but there has not been an update since I installed Ver. 5. Therefore, I decided it was time to visit here and put something into writing.
IanRTaylorUK

Re: Applying Tag Fields During Rip of CD

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi Dazed Oblivion,

Often you are "working" with the library view of the tags for a particular file. So it is important to "synchronise" the library view of the tags back to the actual file.

Try having a place for new files / albums and Rip to this location and tag after this rip / download etc. Also, do not be tempted to play the files while editing the tags!!!

Use the key board short-cuts CTRL+A to select All and CTRL+S to synchronise tags.

Oh and don't worry about tweaking Artwork until the "Album" files are in their last location!!! e.g. CTRL+R to organise to Drive:\<Type>\<Album Artist>\<Album>\...
Ian Taylor
DazedOblivion

Post by DazedOblivion »

Thank you for your reply. I was forced already to do what you suggest, since MM5 is apparently incapable of doing what MM4 could do.

Additionally, in MM4, I could take one of those "Two-For" discs containing two different albums on one CD and immediately rip them simultaneously as two different albums. However, with MM5, as soon as you change the album name of one track prior to the rip, it automatically changes all tracks to have that album name. Now I either rip half the CD one time and the other half a second time, or else rip the CD once and then have to re-tag and re-name every track after it is a file on my computer. For me, it is step backwards from MM4 in that certain capabilities are now lost with MM5.

I'm assuming that, to meet some compatibility requirements with changing operating systems, MM5 was a complete overhaul/rebuild rather than a tweaking of MM4. As such, it's reasonable to expect that there would be a lot of little glitches early on. I had expected that there would be updates with fixes right away, but apparently that isn't happening.
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi Dazed Oblivion,

As an active user - like you - I find some of the subtle differences between MMW4 and MMW5 a little frustrating! However, if you have a MMW5 license, I understand it covers you for using MMW4. Or, you may have a license for both.

I frequently run both MMW4 and MMW5 - in my case on different machines on the same network. So you could continue to rip using MMW4 if it is superior in your use case. If I were to do this, then I would then Auto-Organise from MMW4 to a directory that MMW5 can be used to "pick-up" the new files.

In my current use case, I use my older / slower PC for the "backup" copy of MMW5 and use MMW4 add-ons yet to be updated to MMW5. This includes Lyricator / Tagging Inconsistences / Discogs / RegExp and Magic Nodes.

I use Salty Brine's Foldermatch to keep my MMW4 and MMW5 full copies of my music libraries in sync as it can easily handle the direction.

Hope this helps.
Ian Taylor