[REQ] Option to disable online accesses [#20489]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Timo_Beil

[REQ] Option to disable online accesses [#20489]

Post by Timo_Beil »

For privacy reasons, I would like to prevent the transmission of data to destinations that are completely unknown to me.
Other players have a single checkbox with which I can achieve this. I only want to maintain my own collection.
How do I prevent contact with google at the first start and where is the cookie stored (so that I can delete it)?
Why is google being contacted at all (i don't like that company).
Who will be informed about my tracks and why?
Even if I disable all checkboxes in "Metadata lookup", MM sends data to somewhere on the web.
After deselecting all "Sources" for metadata lookup" MM secretly re-enables all three options.

How can I use the [My Library] info box without MM sending track data? You could say, don't use the infobox at all, but with certain search options (Find more from the same...) the infobox is automatically activated (and occupies the artwork with nonsense from the web)
At the moment I have banned all internet access in the firewall and use Drakinite's ShowLinks for searching. But when burning I have to access external programs again.

To summarize: more transparency which, when and where my data are distributed and the option to exclude certain or all targets is essential for data protection.
MM 2024.0.0.3005-port-DE, Win 11 pro, I7-6700, 16GB RAM,
Rob_S

Re: [REQ] Option to disable online accesses

Post by Rob_S »

I very much support this request, me too!!!
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
a_daley

Post by a_daley »

Agreed...
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

I had the similar question for MM4 ten years ago, without any response. Maybe this time we will be more lucky:
https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=20489
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
Timo_Beil

Re: [REQ] Option to disable online accesses [#20489]

Post by Timo_Beil »

I have implemented on-premises applications in large companies throughout Europe. MM would have been eliminated in the first selection step due to the unclear data protection (GDPR) because nowhere is explained which data is sent to which servers (Sony Music?) in which situation. And yes... my fix ip-address is part of my personal data.
A question is asked in Mantis:
-
What to do when the user presses "Artwork Search" in this paranoid mode, should we do an online search? Or should we also hide all functions that can cause online queries? or for all remote functions in paranoid mode give the possibility to execute them manually anyway. And should we also block all attempts to play online radio and access online links...?
-
Just assume that the users are not paranoid.
Simple: all automatic background online lookups will be prevented if the user is not expecting them.
In the "YouTube" info panel, online access is obvious, but not in "My Library". In the "Artwork search", the order must be reversed. First automatically in the library (local), then online via a button; the same applies to the lyrics. It is also obvious that Internet radio and other services in the "WEB"-node are not blocked, of course, as the user can consciously choose this (or hide the node). But anything that happens secretly in the background must be able to be prevented.
An other idea: Like in the "Auto-tag metadata sources" selection list, all external online targets could be de/selectable (with short hints, which lookups are affected).
This would allow me to release MM in the firewall for normal contact with the Ventis server again.
Blackcat12

Post by Blackcat12 »

Timo_Beil wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:50 am For privacy reasons, I would like to prevent the transmission of data to destinations that are completely unknown to me.
Other players have a single checkbox with which I can achieve this. I only want to maintain my own collection.
How do I prevent contact with google at the first start and where is the cookie stored (so that I can delete it)?
Why is google being contacted at all (i don't like that company).
Who will be informed about my tracks and why?

Even if I disable all checkboxes in "Metadata lookup", MM sends data to somewhere on the web.
After deselecting all "Sources" for metadata lookup" MM secretly re-enables all three options.

How can I use the [My Library] info box without MM sending track data? You could say, don't use the infobox at all, but with certain search options (Find more from the same...) the infobox is automatically activated (and occupies the artwork with nonsense from the web)
At the moment I have banned all internet access in the firewall and use Drakinite's ShowLinks for searching. But when burning I have to access external programs again.

To summarize: more transparency which, when and where my data are distributed and the option to exclude certain or all targets is essential for data protection.
I agree completely. I request MM support to specifically respond to the questions highlighted in red text above please. It would also be great to have an option in MM configuration to disable each type or destination specific external calls.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Would it be possible to have site by site exceptions to a "No access" setting overall?

ie If I click on for example search images I would get a dialog "allow access to google.com (or whatever site is involved) - never, one time only, always??" and the search would proceed accordingly, with my response recorded for future attempts?

If I click on any operation requiring internet access, I would be given the name of the site that would be used, and the same choices.

This would also need a reset to clear all previous permissions in the options dialog.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Delete Google plugin and check again, also I have not observed MM to phone home or any site just out of the sudden.

What you ask of MM is implementing fully flagged Firewall in MM.

What you want you can easily get with Free https://www.binisoft.org/wfc which when you enable notifications would literally ask you for all traffic, personally MM is least of your worries.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I would be quite happy with an option to turn off all online access.

Others might want that as well except they might want some functions to work.

I was suggesting a method to please everyone.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
That is what WFC is for, you can fine grain it to the perfection.
Best regards,
Peke
Timo_Beil

Post by Timo_Beil »

Peke wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:35 pm Hi,
Delete Google plugin and check again
If THIS is the common method for operating MM by end users, surely you have a link to the corresponding place in the help wiki?
Peke wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:35 pm What you ask of MM is implementing fully flagged Firewall in MM.
I don't believe that MM should protect the entire PC from unwanted sending of private data like a firewall. It would be enough if his own need to communicate could be controlled at all or more precisely.

I'm using MFC for some time now. You can't ask end users to work out the addresses of the individual targets in order to build suitable rules in a firewall addon on each PC running MM.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Timo_Beil wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:38 am If THIS is the common method for operating MM by end users, surely you have a link to the corresponding place in the help wiki?
Just delete google drive from Scripts folder.
Timo_Beil wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:38 am I don't believe that MM should protect the entire PC from unwanted sending of private data like a firewall. It would be enough if his own need to communicate could be controlled at all or more precisely.
No need to protect whole PC but behave liek firewall limited to itself.
Timo_Beil wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:38 am I'm using MFC for some time now. You can't ask end users to work out the addresses of the individual targets in order to build suitable rules in a firewall addon on each PC running MM.
WFC Can be used for privacy mode (High profile) or just block MM an dignore rest (eg. no notification, MM apps always block). Exporting Such rules can help us to build what most of users wants to block and then we can approach finding way to block something and not cripple MM too much in the process.
Best regards,
Peke
Poiesis

How to "disable" wikipedia and any automatic request to the internet?

Post by Poiesis »

I'm looking for a way to disable any automatic MMW5 connection to internet (but without disconnecting the Pc with the NAS). I prefer to decide time by time if and when to send a request to any external site: wikipedia, last.fm, musicbrainz or any other.
Thanks
Timo_Beil

Re: How to "disable" wikipedia and any automatic request to the internet?

Post by Timo_Beil »

You're not the first one, worry about privacy.
https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=105472
Rob_S

Re: How to "disable" wikipedia and any automatic request to the internet?

Post by Rob_S »

I very much support this request.

If I turn off background metadata lookup and image search, I see no reason for MM to use Internet unless I actually open online sources

However, when you think the program is actually built on a web browser (chromium) and after re-reading the following thread, I see very little chance of this happening

https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 55#p515555