Play Buttons in MM2 1156

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

MattTown

Play Buttons in MM2 1156

Post by MattTown »

Hi,

The MMA user interface in 1185 makes it easy to load a playlist. Excellent, but once you've got the playlist ready to go there is a UI void. The only visible control is the big yellow button to 'play with shuffle'. But I don't want shuffle - having carefully sequenced a playlist in a specific order, the last thing I want to do is to play that list with a shuffled sequence. Pressing that button does indeed fill the playing queue with a shuffled playlist sequence, which is exactly what I don't want, and for which there is no control to undo.

Some experimentation showed me that I have to click on the first file in the ordered playlist to get the playing queue filled with the playlist sequence. Works, but its not obvious. Why leave your customers in the dark over something so simple? If there is a big prominent control to 'play shuffled', why would users think to do something entirely different like click on a track to get the rest of the list played in sequence? There is noting in the UI to tell you how this is expected to happen. Why isn't there an equivalent button to simply 'play in sequence'? Or even an option to change the function of the button from shuffle to in sequence? And, given that the UI basically demands user experimentation to get songs to play, why isn't there a control to clear the queue contents?

As I see it, MMA is doing a great job of the complex stuff (sync) and stumbling over the basics (play UI).

So, I recommend:
  • Provide an option to switch the behaviour of the prominent Play control between 'Play shuffle' and 'Play in sequence'.
  • Provide controls to manage the content of the Playing Queue, at least to explicitly clear it after unintended additions.
Cheers
Matt
MM 2024.3003 (WEF 9 Mar 2024, Portable Mode), Gold lifetime license, user since 2009.
Currently 25K files. Library and music files are on a separate partition (E:\) on external USB drive.
Windows Surface Book (Original), i5, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD.
Win10 Home 64 bit, update: 22H2 19045.3570
MMA 2.0.0.1103, Android 13 on Nokia XR20, music files on SD card.
Barry4679

Re: Play Buttons in MM2 1156

Post by Barry4679 »

MattTown wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:08 am Some experimentation showed me that I have to click on the first file in the ordered playlist to get the playing queue filled with the playlist sequence. Works, but its not obvious. Why leave your customers in the dark over something so simple? If there is a big prominent control to 'play shuffled', why would users think to do something entirely different like click on a track to get the rest of the list played in sequence? There is noting in the UI to tell you how this is expected to happen. Why isn't there an equivalent button to simply 'play in sequence'? Or even an option to change the function of the button from shuffle to in sequence? And, given that the UI basically demands user experimentation to get songs to play, why isn't there a control to clear the queue contents?
Hi Matt I am in strong agreement with your point.

I purchased MMA when it was first released. I ended up not using at the time because it seemed inadequate.

I only play whole albums, and MMA's apparent inability to immediately play unshuffled albums was a sticking point for me at the time. I continued to use the Poweramp client because it has album buttons for both shuffled and unshuffled play options.

Subsequent to that I noticed how the Sonos client queued the whole album, when just a single track was clicked, and started playing from the clicked track. I went back to MMA, and noticed that it worked the same way.

I think that the answer to your question may be that this behaviour has become a common trope in music clients. .. maybe some designer, presumably at Apple, saw that the UI could be made more clean looking by losing a button. And then other software designer mimicked that.

Even if this is the case, I agree with your point that a more obvious UI control should be provided for those of us not in the know, so to speak.

My pet hate is anything that wipes, or interrupts, the currently playing album. It is all to easy to do that in MMA. I think that it sucks that there is a secret handshake to play an album when the queue is empty, but that is a destructive technique if the queue is loaded or in progress. ... Maybe I am a slow learner, but it still trips me up from time to time.

And the MMA documentation is hopelessly vague IMO about how to drive this non-intuitive part of the UI. There is nothing to clearly describe or illustrate the Play action with respect to albums.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
MattTown

Re: Play Buttons in MM2 1156

Post by MattTown »

Thanks for the support Barry. Yes I'm certainly not in the know for what the industry standard user interface might be, I just use the software as I see it.
Cheers
MM 2024.3003 (WEF 9 Mar 2024, Portable Mode), Gold lifetime license, user since 2009.
Currently 25K files. Library and music files are on a separate partition (E:\) on external USB drive.
Windows Surface Book (Original), i5, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD.
Win10 Home 64 bit, update: 22H2 19045.3570
MMA 2.0.0.1103, Android 13 on Nokia XR20, music files on SD card.