[REQ] Save Control for Auto Playlist Editor

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

MattTown

[REQ] Save Control for Auto Playlist Editor

Post by MattTown »

Hi,

A minor UI request.

The editor for Auto Playlists has a "Discard" option at top represented by a cross, but there is no equivalent "Save" option that could be represented by a tick. In the absence of a specific "Save" option the user is invited to make the assumption that clicking away from the editor will automatically save the configured playlist.

This is fine if it does allways work like that, but one time I found that the auto playlist editor did not save the setup and I nearly synced 12,000 songs into MMA because the editor had abandoned the constraints that I had selected. I have since invoked and checked the editor and the auto playlist several times and the configuration for that playlist has now stuck (at least until next time I check it), but I would have been happier if I could have explicitly told MM5 to save the configuration that I had just established.

Letting configuration saves happen by inference might be seen as a convenience, but the only people who can be confident of that behaviour are the dialog programmers. The moment something unexpected happens, your users will be losing confidence in the product.

So, I suggest that you make available a Save control in the Auto Playlist. As a more general suggestion, you might consider making all necessary controls explicit.

Thanks
Matt
MM 2024.3019 (WEF 4 May 2024, Portable Mode), Gold lifetime license, user since 2009.
Currently 27K files. Library and music files are on a separate partition (E:\) on external USB drive.
Windows Surface Book (Original), i5, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD.
Win10 Home 64 bit, update: 22H2 19045.3570
MMA 2.0.0.1103, Android 13 on Nokia XR20, music files on SD card.
Ludek

Re: [REQ] Save Control for Auto Playlist Editor

Post by Ludek »

Hi Matt,
the changes to the auto-playlist rules are "live", so are saved automatically until you discard them..

I am testing this and was unable to discard the changes just by going to another node or view, do you remember the exect steps that leaded to unwanted discard of the added/modified rules?
MattTown

Re: [REQ] Save Control for Auto Playlist Editor

Post by MattTown »

Hi Ludek,

It is possible that I misinterpreted the UI and used the cross to dismiss the dialog box, not understanding that it would also abandon the changes.

This is probably more down to the design ethos behind the user interface, and the extent to which is is - or more crucially is not - consistent between all of the user touch points.

Thanks

Matt
MM 2024.3019 (WEF 4 May 2024, Portable Mode), Gold lifetime license, user since 2009.
Currently 27K files. Library and music files are on a separate partition (E:\) on external USB drive.
Windows Surface Book (Original), i5, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD.
Win10 Home 64 bit, update: 22H2 19045.3570
MMA 2.0.0.1103, Android 13 on Nokia XR20, music files on SD card.