SD Card - Last synced: never

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

sliphorn

SD Card - Last synced: never

Post by sliphorn »

Hi All,

I've been scouring the forums for a while and can't find my answer. Quick specs:

OnePlus Nord N30 with 512GB SD card
Android 13
Windows 10 with MM5 5.0.4.2693 (Portable mode)

On many old phones I can setup syncing no problem. With this new phone with SD card installed, I cannot keep a sync profile. I can set up a sync to SD one time, but once MMA restarts (or phone restarts) it doesn't remember the setup at all and appears in MM5 as a brand new device. So now I have roughly 1 million sync profiles that are all the same.

So why can't MM5 or MMA remember the setup?

Sorry if I skipped some essential information: I've tried to be thorough & succinct. Thank you for your help.
Last edited by sliphorn on Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peke

Re: SD Card - Last synced: never

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Here is what you can try. Once you setup teh MMA syncing check SDCard if it contains MediaMonkey Folder and copy its backup to safe place that you know. Restart the phone and compare if folder is still there or it is deleted. Also check MMA library folders in ☰ -> Options -> Library and add SDcard MediaMonkey Folder there (It is not needed, but if MMA do not have access to it then it should ask). In case that folder do not exist on SDCard Please create it and try again.

What I suspect that it is somehow permission issue on specific device, so now we need to confirm in order to know what to do.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
sliphorn

Post by sliphorn »

Thank you for the reply. When you say to check for the MediaMonkey folder on the SD card, do you mean a folder called "MediaMonkey" or the folders it wants to use in the permissions ("Movies", "Music")?

There is no folder called "MediaMonkey on the SD card. There are Movies and Music folders (I believe Android builds these). These folders survive reboots.

Again, there is no folder called MediaMonkey on the SD card so I can't add in in options unless I create it myself. When I do that, the MediaMonkey folder I created on the SD card, the folder does survive reboot.

Thanks again for your help. Ask me anything I left out, please.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Once you created MediaMonkey Folder does Sync Settings also persist.

You can also check MMA APP INFO for advanced permissions and run in background (Go to phone settinsg -> Apps -> Find Media Monkey and open its info. Under Advanced permissions you should see check that MMA is allowed to access storage.
Best regards,
Peke
sliphorn

Post by sliphorn »

Something interesting happened. After creating the MediaMonkey folder and THEN cleaning storage/cache in Android settings, I opened MediaMonkey and it IMMEDIATELY asked for permission to access the MediaMonkey folder on the SD card. I'll update shortly with more progress when I have access to MM5.
sliphorn

Post by sliphorn »

So MM5 sees the device as a new device, like always, and doesn't remember the config. So back to the beginning...

Also, I went into permissions for MMA but didn't see any obvious way to set storage permissions. I remember it said somewhere that it had read permissions to maybe external storage, but I can't find that. I also noticed it didn't say anything about write permissions.
Peke

Post by Peke »

sliphorn wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:29 pm So MM5 sees the device as a new device, like always, and doesn't remember the config. So back to the beginning...
MM5 Server will generate new ID as MMA create new one each time it can't read one from MediaMonkey Folder on SDCard.
sliphorn wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:29 pm Also, I went into permissions for MMA but didn't see any obvious way to set storage permissions. I remember it said somewhere that it had read permissions to maybe external storage, but I can't find that. I also noticed it didn't say anything about write permissions.
you can find them in phone APPS -> MediaMonkey App info. also you need to grant storage access in MMA Settings ☰ -> Settings -> Library folders.
Best regards,
Peke
sliphorn

Post by sliphorn »

Peke wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:45 pm
sliphorn wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:29 pm So MM5 sees the device as a new device, like always, and doesn't remember the config. So back to the beginning...
MM5 Server will generate new ID as MMA create new one each time it can't read one from MediaMonkey Folder on SDCard.
sliphorn wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:29 pm Also, I went into permissions for MMA but didn't see any obvious way to set storage permissions. I remember it said somewhere that it had read permissions to maybe external storage, but I can't find that. I also noticed it didn't say anything about write permissions.
you can find them in phone APPS -> MediaMonkey App info. also you need to grant storage access in MMA Settings ☰ -> Settings -> Library folders.
So it's obviously a permissions issue. I'm uninstalling MMA and MM Pro and reinstalling to see if it resets permission requests.

The storage permissions options weren't there unless I keep missing it.

Is it possible that MM isn't optimized for the new permissions quirks in Android 13?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
MMA is tested on Android 13 and Android 14, this happens only on very rare number of devices that unfortunately none of team members owns, so we can't replicate.
Best regards,
Peke