[2824] - Playing Now showing in alphabetical order, playing shuffled [#20503]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

lindholm

[2824] - Playing Now showing in alphabetical order, playing shuffled [#20503]

Post by lindholm »

This is a new one:

My Playing Now view is showing all the tracks in alphabetical order, seeming stuck somewhere in the W's
Shuffle mode is enable and the songs are being played "randomly"
If I press previous/next the Playing Now seems to jump for a split second to the track selected but then goes back to showing the "sorted" list
Rob_S

Re: [2824] - Playing Now showing in alphabetical order, playing shuffled

Post by Rob_S »

This may be related, I am using 2825, my default action is set to play now. Playback rules set to default

If I add a playlist by clicking the arrow in the info window, or a selection by right-click, play now to the now playing window whether it has been cleared or not, with shuffle enabled, it does not shuffle.

It adds the playlist or selection in whatever order it was displayed in the main window, and it plays in that unshuffled order. Unselecting shuffle brings up the toast message "cannot unshuffle...", but if I then hit shuffle again, it does shuffle the list.

For some reason whatever is supposed to shuffle the list upon being added to now playing is broken.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
lindholm

Post by lindholm »

lindholm wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:34 pm This is a new one:

My Playing Now view is showing all the tracks in alphabetical order, seeming stuck somewhere in the W's
Shuffle mode is enable and the songs are being played "randomly"
If I press previous/next the Playing Now seems to jump for a split second to the track selected but then goes back to showing the "sorted" list
Restarting MM seemed to clear the problem. Upgraded to 2825, will see what happens
Rob_S

[2825] Shuffle not working, selection issues

Post by Rob_S »

I am using 2825, my default action is set to play now. Playback rules set to default

If I add a playlist by clicking the arrow in the info window, or a selection by right-click, play now to the now playing window whether it has been cleared or not, with shuffle enabled, it does not shuffle.

It adds the playlist or selection in whatever order it was displayed in the main window, and it plays in that unshuffled order. Unselecting shuffle brings up the toast message "cannot unshuffle...", but if I then hit shuffle again, it does shuffle the list.

For some reason whatever is supposed to shuffle the list upon being added to now playing is broken.

Also, in this build it seems difficult to select in the main window in list view. Using ctrl+click will often play the track instead of selecting it. This may be due to a color change in the skin. The selection color does not appear til cursor off the last selected, so the tendency is to ctrl+click it again.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I posted this in a new thread, because it is now evident it is unrelated to the OP post, the original title is not descriptive of the bug, and it remains so after restart, so please review and confirm???
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Rob_S

Re: [2824] - Playing Now showing in alphabetical order, playing shuffled [#20503]

Post by Rob_S »

OK, I see this is marked as resolved in the bug, but I think it is not.

If I select play (in order) from the info panel, while I have shuffle mode turned on in now playing, and then I try to unselect the shuffle mode, (turn it off) I get an error message.

If you want to keep it the way it is in the info panel, then I think clicking play while shuffle mode is selected should first turn off shuffle mode, and then insert the files.

Similarly, if I select play shuffled, while shuffle mode is off, it should insert the files in order, and then turn on shuffle mode. That way, if I subsequently turn off shuffle mode, it will be capable of unshuffling the now playing list.
Lowlander

Re: [2824] - Playing Now showing in alphabetical order, playing shuffled [#20503]

Post by Lowlander »

It's set as resolved in 2830, which hasn't been released yet.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

But did you read the resolution? They only changed the tooltips, they did not change the operation of it???
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Which makes sense. You can play in listed order and you can play in shuffled order. Both options are available.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Did you not read the resulting issue I was describing?

This method does not work well with the new shuffle mode
If I select play (in order) from the info panel, while I have shuffle mode turned on in now playing, and then I try to unselect the shuffle mode, (turn it off) I get an error message.

If you want to keep it the way it is in the info panel, then I think clicking play while shuffle mode is selected should first turn off shuffle mode, and then insert the files.

Similarly, if I select play shuffled, while shuffle mode is off, it should insert the files in order, and then turn on shuffle mode. That way, if I subsequently turn off shuffle mode, it will be capable of unshuffling the now playing list.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I agree with Lowlander, that current implementation is ok, but it was not clear on behavior.

I tested what you wrote and it works OK with me. I see what you are saying, but not being able revert shuffle after you change now playing is also described as editing affect original list.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

What you have right now is two conflicting methods to shuffle a playlist, making the program look unfinished, and uncoordinated.

I suggested above a method to make it seem more fully integrated.

If this conflict is acceptable to you, it certainly doesn't kill me. :evil:
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

How do you see a conflict?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Rob_S wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:06 pm What you have right now is two conflicting methods to shuffle a playlist, making the program look unfinished, and uncoordinated.

I suggested above a method to make it seem more fully integrated.
I completely Agree, but based on My knowledge Shuffle behavior in ALL apps hasn't been changed for decades and we stumped on something new, inovative and interesting that needs not to be rushed, but nurtured. If you read my older posts on Shuffle I was one that wanted to revert everything to old ways, but team made something that allowed us to really make things worth the effort and annoyance we caused. It is just a bit rocky road to new things and we are all in same bus.
Rob_S wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:06 pm If this conflict is acceptable to you, it certainly doesn't kill me.
Glad to hear that, otherwise who will keep us busy then. We would get lazy.

Happy Monkeying!!!
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts