1151 - dbox nag re MM access dbox for Photos & Videos is hard on

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

1151 - dbox nag re MM access dbox for Photos & Videos is hard on

Post by Barry4679 »

I get this new dbox everytime I start MMA.

I select "don't select more", but I get the dbox nag each time I start MMA. Is this working as designed?
Is this repetition a feature? I am not a fan.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Barry4679

Re: 1151 - dbox nag re MM access dbox for Photos & Videos is hard on

Post by Barry4679 »

The nag message no longer appears.
I don't know what stopped the nagging, ie.
  • reboot of my phone?
  • or resync from MMW?
  • or MMA exceeded its annoyingly high nag limit counter?
I wouldn't regard the issue as "solved" ... I got the repetitive nag message for multiple days, with multiple re-entries into MMA, and with multiple attempts to provide it a response
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the heads up. afaik if access isn't granted, then MMA won't have access to some files/locations. Going to check with the devs, because this definitely doesn't sound as an intended design. i.e.

If the access is _required_ then MM should provide a warning if the user rejects access indicating the consequence of rejection, and not repeatedly prompt for the access.

-Rusty
rusty

Post by rusty »

So it turns out that this permission is _required_ and MMA won't work correctly without this permission as it can't scan files from AndroidMediaStore without it.

1) If permission was denied, then this message should appear:

MediaMonkey requires access to media files to work. Please give it access to your media files.
[continue]

2) If permission is denied twice,
MMA can ask permission again and permission must be granted in APP settings. In this case, the following message appears:

MediaMonkey requires access to media files to work. Unfortunately requests for the permission were denied and it cannot be requested again. To use MediaMonkey go to the application details and grant the permission manually.
[SETTINGS]

Did this not occur for you?

-Rusty
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

rusty wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:30 pm Did this not occur for you?
I don't think so.

I installed a MMA upgrade to an existing version.
There was already many tracks sync'd to my device which I had been playing using MMA. So I presume that it already had all the rights that it needed. I then ran a sync which removed a few albums and add a few fresh ones.

Also see the image in my 1st post. The dbox said "Allow mm to access MORE photos ...". It is like some facility to extend MMA reach had got triggered somehow, and it wouldn't be satisfied. It was some time ago now, and I have a lot of distractions ATM, but my my impression was that it went away when I reboot the phone ... Although I can't be sure.
martin.bohac

Post by martin.bohac »

Hi,
It seems that Android 14 (edit by Rusty: currently and erroneously) uses the same permission dialog for both video and images.
i.e. even though MMA only requests access to videos, the dialog displays a prompt for videos and images. But if you tap [All allow] in this dialog, only video access will be granted.

:-?