Sluggish update of list view and loss of item selection on tag updates.

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Riegelstriegel

Sluggish update of list view and loss of item selection on tag updates.

Post by Riegelstriegel »

Hi everybody,

While I really enjoy MM5 for browsing and listening to music, there are still a few issues that make sorting my music collection rather tedious. Here are some of the most important:

1) It seems that the list in the library browser gets updated very slowly when I delete tracks from the library (and disk).
Sometimes deleted tracks are not remove from the list view at all. Sometimes they disappear and re-appear a second later.
Updating the list view by going to another node and coming back solves the problem. Also double-clicking a deleted track (trying to play it) makes it disappear for good.

2) When I select items in the list library view, the selection is lost as soon as a tag from an item is updated in the background. For example this can happen due to automatic lyric search or volume level scanning.
I believe that this is an old issue that might even have been resolved at some point if I remember correctly. If so, it is back again.

3) Often, selecting items in list view via shift click does not work. (Click on one item and then shift-click on another to select all items in between). It can be resolved by moving the selection cursor with the arrow keys once. I don't know how to reproduce that issue unfortunately.

I use build 2819, but the problems also occurred on older builds. I mostly use list view and column browser for sorting. Skin is Material Design.
I don't know if the issues above affect other library views as well. I only use list view.

If you need further information or if I can try something out for you to isolate a problem, please let me know. I'd be happy to help.

Thanks for everything! :-)
Lowlander

Re: Sluggish update of list view and loss of item selection on tag updates.

Post by Lowlander »

Please capture each of these things in separate debug logs (step 4b) and attach the logs to a Support Ticket: viewtopic.php?t=86643

This will help a developer analyze why this happens on your setup.
Riegelstriegel

Post by Riegelstriegel »

Hi Lowlander,

thanks for the reply. I will see what I can do. Issues 1) and 3) however do only randomly occur and I don't know if I can capture these in decently sized logs.

Does sending a log directly out of Media Monkey using the Debug->Send Logs function help? I just did that but I'm not sure if it is the same.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

As long as you save the log right after a problem the length of the log isn't a problem (just indicate that the problem happened near the end). A longer log sometimes is helpful as the problem may have started earlier, but the symptoms came later. A log attached to Support Ticket is best as it's sure to have captured the whole event and allows a developer to follow up.
Riegelstriegel

Post by Riegelstriegel »

Hi Lowlander,

Just for reference, I was able to reproduce issue 2) Loss of item selection in list view and (hopefully) captured it in a log. I opened ticket #6397.
Riegelstriegel

Post by Riegelstriegel »

Hi,

I have captured issue 1) on log and video and opened ticket #6497.

I hope I can also capture the other problems on video at some point but you know how it is. Every time you want a problem to appear, it won't show up. :D
oldugly

Post by oldugly »

Riegelstriegel wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:08 am
3) Often, selecting items in list view via shift click does not work. (Click on one item and then shift-click on another to select all items in between). It can be resolved by moving the selection cursor with the arrow keys once. I don't know how to reproduce that issue unfortunately.
FYI, I have had this issue as well recently, while doing some bulk editing. Wasn't sure if it was just user error as it was not frequent. I've since upgraded from 2690 to 2693, so not sure if I can reproduce either, and haven't seen it again lately.
MediaMonkey Gold user for 10+ years.
MM5 Gold (Lifetime) 5.0.4.2693; Windows 11; MMA 2.0.0.1152