Updated Playlist - Play Now uses Previous Sequence

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

MattTown

Updated Playlist - Play Now uses Previous Sequence

Post by MattTown »

A minor annoyance here, but it detracts from the user experience.

If a static playlist has the sequence of songs changed by moving files around in the main file list, then those changes to the playlist sequence will not be shown in the Playing panel (top right of main screen on my system) until the Playlist tab is closed and reopened.

Reasonably repeatable behaviour of the Playing panel not showing an updated sequence of a static playlist:
  • Clear the Playing panel.
  • With a static playlist, invoke the Play Now control (right-pointing triangle) at top.
  • The Playing panel shows songs in the original playlist sequence.
  • Change sequence of the playlist by moving one or more songs around in the playlist.
  • Invoke the Play Now control again.
  • The Playing panel shows original sequence of songs, not the updated sequence.
Note that the playlist update sometimes does get reflected in the Playing panel after a Play Now is selected, I haven't managed to figure out the specific combination of actions to get it to work right, but the majority of time it does not update. I am clearing the Playing Panel just to make the Play Now song sequence clear, I don't think that it features in the update/not update issue.

Getting the Playing panel to show the updated playlist sequence can be forced by closing and reopening the Playlist Tab:
  • Close the updated Playlist Tab.
  • Re-open the Playlist Tab (which of course has the updated song sequence).
  • Invoke the Play Now control.
  • The Playing panel shows the updated song sequence.
To my mind, the Playing panel should show the updated sequence of the playlist as soon as a Play Now command is invoked. It should not be necessary to close and reopen the Playlist Tab to get the play now command to use the updated song sequence.

Cheers
Matt
MM 2024.3003 (WEF 9 Mar 2024, Portable Mode), Gold lifetime license, user since 2009.
Currently 25K files. Library and music files are on a separate partition (E:\) on external USB drive.
Windows Surface Book (Original), i5, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD.
Win10 Home 64 bit, update: 22H2 19045.3570
MMA 2.0.0.1103, Android 13 on Nokia XR20, music files on SD card.
Lowlander

Re: Updated Playlist - Play Now uses Previous Sequence

Post by Lowlander »

I've not been able to reproduce on 2817. Please capture this in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: viewtopic.php?t=86643

This will help a developer analyze why this happens on your setup.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

This above sequence reproduces perfectly for me every time using 2817.

I believe the reason is that it loads the original playlist and not the unsaved re-sorted playlist view in the main window.

At the moment in 2817 I cannot save my new sort, so no way to confirm, but I am sure once saved, it will load the new sequence into "Now Playing"
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Manual changing of order is always saved (and is so for me on 2817). Sorting is currently not able to be saved.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I see that. If I manually change the order, and then immediately click play, it still keeps the old unsaved order.

If I select another playlist, the manually changed order of the first playlist is saved, and now if I re-select the changed first playlist the new order re-opens in the main window, and is used when I click play.

This led me to another test.

If I change the sort order of the playlist by clicking a column header, I am no longer able to manually change the sequence within that sort.
Last edited by Rob_S on Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

As indicated, I'm unable to reproduce this. When manually changing order of a file, it's always reflected on Play Now as well. Please capture this in the previously requested debug log.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I'm going to wait til the save-playlist order bug is sorted, that might make this mute for me.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are you saying that manually re-ordering isn't working? The save order bug is unrelated as it's about displaying the button to do so.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

As stated above, manual re-ordering only saves AFTER/DURING the selection of a different playlist, and then re-selecting the original.

Until I do that, the manual playlist re-order is not saved.

Are you by chance running 2618, which we can't have yet???
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

As requested, please provide a debug log so a developer can see why this doesn't work on your setup.
MattTown

Post by MattTown »

It is possible that the effect only kicks in for second relocations, i.e.:
  • Show a static playlist in the centre panel, clear the now playing panel.
  • Using the triangle control at top of the playlist, invoke play now for the playlist. Clear the now playing panel and relocate a song in the playlist. Invoke play now for the playlist. Relocation is reflected in the now playing sequence.
  • Clear now playing again and do another relocation of a file within the playlist playlist. Invoke play now for the playlist, latest relocation is not reflected in the now playing sequence.
Yes, will submit a debug log.

Cheers
Matt
MM 2024.3003 (WEF 9 Mar 2024, Portable Mode), Gold lifetime license, user since 2009.
Currently 25K files. Library and music files are on a separate partition (E:\) on external USB drive.
MattTown

Post by MattTown »

Trying to get a debug log for you.
App throws a queue processing error then spends 7 minutes gathering data and sending it off.
Even typing into the 'what steps' box causes it to freeze again.
A real PITA. If I wasn't committed to helping you get this (minor) problem fixed it would not be worth my time.
After three more error traps and boxes I've now got a white screen of death and my only option is to restart and repeat the process. FFS!

Finallly got there after PC reboot and another 3 "what were you doing" dialogs. Have turned off file monitoring, hopefully that helps.
Debug log submitted with support ticket using this thread name.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
As you are using Portable Version as soon as MM crashes you should find "mediamonkey.el" or "MediaMonkey.elf" along with mediamonkey.exe or in Portable folder.

Just copy/move it somewhere else, ZIP and attach to support ticket. It is the same info MM send with each crash to us.

NOTE: It is recreated on each sync or appended if it i still existing.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

OK, so using build 2019 we have the "save order" button back in a playlist main window after sorting by column.

The issue of loading the previous order after manual re-order and clear now playing (after second time) is still there, apparently marked fixed in V2820.

This was never acknowledged above, but a bug was created for it. https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=20296

Now I have some questions. Why do I get a save order button when I sort by column, but I do not get a save order button when I re-order playlist files manually??

I realize I can save my manual re-ordering by selecting some other playlist, and then back to the re-ordered one. But still why two different ways to save the order??? This method does not work for sort by column.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

When you manually order files the changes are always saved. Sorting allows you to sort for whatever purpose without having it saved automatically.