YouTube Music

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

YouTube Music

Post by Barry4679 »

Is there any plan to include YouTube Music as a Service in MediaMonkey5?
ie. like Spotify.
It would be very much appreciated. Spotify may have more subscribers, but YouTube Music reports 5 times the user count reported by Spotify.

Those of us that were Google Play Music customers, have been migrated across to YouTube Music. We still have all of our tracks that were uploaded to Google Servers, but we have lost access via MM.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Re: YouTube Music

Post by Ludek »

Hi Barry,
this issue is being tracked as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 487#c59294
but AFAIK there still isn't an official YT music api, but I'll do the reserach again..
richiefinger

MAKE IMPORT PLAYLIST SIMPLER

Post by richiefinger »

When searching for this subject I can find hundreds of posts all asking about playlist importing into MM.
It's usually the same answer - that the paths/part of the paths have to be the same for MM to be able to populate the playlist.

Having been using the Deezer and Spotify import playlist feature it would seem a much easier option to allow playlists to be imported and matched in MM in the same way that the Spotify & Deezer playlists are matched.
Just matching up on the title/artist etc (I'm assuming that's how it's done)

I'm sure a large percentage of people who want their playlist from itunes etc to just work would be happy with that method. I know its not as exact as having matching paths but would make it a simple first version to use.

I would love to be able to just import a text file, copied from excel and just have MM match any matching tracks and populate a playlist. If it can be done with Spotify/Deezer surely it can be done from a text based playlist without paths, just title /artist etc???

I use tunemymusic to import playlists I have in excel as free text into Spotify/Deezer playlists
richiefinger

Re: MAKE IMPORT PLAYLIST SIMPLER

Post by richiefinger »

I have just tried the playlist transfer site MusConv to import a YouTubeMusic playlist to MM5.
It has worked and has populated the playlist with the YouTube / YouTubeMusic links.
If this is possible is there any reason why MM can not populate the local MM playlist with tracks I have in the MM db, the same way it does with the Spotify and Deezer playlists.

YouTubeMusic having the advantage over Spotify or Deezer in that it has a larger database (if you include uploaded YouTube videos of music tracks).
For me this is better as it has a lot more vinyl only releases, promo's, private press etc that won't be on the streaming sites.
I already have most of the music on the YTM playlist in my local MM library, I just want the playlists to play my local tracks not the streaming links.

I have asked this question 5 times now in 3 different threads on similar subjects and still haven't had any answers?
richiefinger

Post by richiefinger »

Barry4679 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:28 am Is there any plan to include YouTube Music as a Service in MediaMonkey5?
ie. like Spotify.
It would be very much appreciated. Spotify may have more subscribers, but YouTube Music reports 5 times the user count reported by Spotify.

Those of us that were Google Play Music customers, have been migrated across to YouTube Music. We still have all of our tracks that were uploaded to Google Servers, but we have lost access via MM.
I mentioned this in another thread, I would like YTM integration too.
Purely as a workaround to importing text files in to an MM5 playlist and having MM5 populate the playlist with my local files. In the same way that Spotify and Deezer works.

I've just tried MusConv (very ltd free trial) to import a YTM playlist into MM and it did work, but only shows the YT/YTM links. I don't know if that helps you at all? Could be part of a workaround???
I also don't know if MusConv is safe? My scam radar is twitching when I use their site :) You also have to pay :(
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

richiefinger wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:25 am I've just tried MusConv (very ltd free trial) to import a YTM playlist into MM and it did work, but only shows the YT/YTM links. I don't know if that helps you at all? Could be part of a workaround???
I also don't know if MusConv is safe? My scam radar is twitching when I use their site :) You also have to pay :(
I have used Sidify for Amazon Music and it seems to work OK. I currently looking at switching my subscription to Sidify for Tidal but (despite claiming a lot more tracks than Amazon) it does not seem to have the music I am looking for. Sidify also do a You Tube version that I have not tried - may be worth taking a look at this?
Ian Taylor
richiefinger

Post by richiefinger »

Just had a look at Sidify, if it does what I think it does - download tracks from Spotify etc then it's a dodgy streaming dl site ;)
If I was go down that route and use YTMusic playlists all the tracks would be around 128 mp3 or lower, I already have 90% of the tracks in lossless so it won't work for me.
I don't need to do that. I just want the metadata from a playlist generated from a textfile to populate a playlist in MM with the tracks I already have in my MM database. (without having to have the exact same database structure, the Spotify and Deezer integration already does this)
Doing it manually is fine for a few playlists, I have thousands to do.
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi RichieFinger,

a). Sidify
Not tried the You Tube version. But I found the quality of the Amazon Music to be very good (FLAC / 24 Bit / ~1500 Bit Rate).

If I recall, the organisation on download can be by Playlist. I may try the You Tube version in the future and report back.

b). Playlist from MMW
Are you wanting to create Playlists that are just a Single Artist's Album?
Or are you looking to create "mixed" (almost random) Playlists?
Ian Taylor
richiefinger

Post by richiefinger »

I'm guessing you have an Amazom premium or ultimate account, hence why you can download hi res flac.
YTMusic is great for the range of music, but awful quality hence the 128 mp3.

Amazon has a very limited selection (for what I want)

Yes extremely random subset of music in my playlists and thousands of playlists

Musconv seems to be working though so I'll test that some more
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

I had a 4 months free trial of Amazon Music and was able to download up to 1000 tracks a day using Sidify to fill some "gaps" and "glitches" in my collection. I have been moving from MP3 to FLAC and some of the CDs I try to re-rip had jitters etc. My library is now 92.5% FLAC.

I did a quick test of Sidify for You Tube. I picked a Playlist called "90s Alternative" of 186 tracks and set it "converting" using the trial version (1 min of each track). The Bit Depth is 24 and the Bit Rate ranges from 1690 to 2769 but I feel the download speed is slower (than Amazon) based on this limited test.

Because all the Sidify YT tracks are in a folder "Drive:\90s Alternative\", the MMW5 can easily "right click" and send to a new Playlist (or add to an old one). Then once the Playlist is created, then the tracks can be Auto-Organised... MMW5 will then update accordingly. This gives me some ideas for the future...

Yes I agree. I also need multiple sources!
Ian Taylor
richiefinger

Post by richiefinger »

Thanks for the link, but I don't need it.
As for your youtube playlist coming in at 24bit flac, ummm
They either come from a different source to YouTube or they are just up converting.
YouTubeMusic is the worst quality of all the streaming sites and definitely not going to be above 128mp3 equivalent.

put some of your flac files into the "fakin' the funk" app and see what it says.

If Sidify "records" the track or "converts" the track it can convert it into any extension/bit rate/depth but it wont sound any better than the original quality, which with youtube is the lowest out there :)

I was only using Youtube as a workaround
Appreciate the tip though :)
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

richiefinger wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:25 am As for your youtube playlist coming in at 24bit flac, ummm
They either come from a different source to YouTube or they are just up converting.
YouTubeMusic is the worst quality of all the streaming sites and definitely not going to be above 128mp3 equivalent.
When YouTube Music launched it was 128.
I don't think that is true now.
I have a family plan, and that sets everybody to their Premium level.

See this recent review from PC Mag.
In terms of audio quality, the streamed music sounds good. Neither the YouTube Music app or the web version displays the audio-quality specifics, but a quick look at the service's Help page provides answers. Music tracks stream at Low, Normal, and High qualities, which carry 48Kbps AAC, 128Kbps AAC, and 256Kbps AAC bit rates, respectively. High quality is only available to Premium users.
YouTube absorbed their previous Google Play Music service.
The beta version of MM temporarily allowed you to download tracks from the Google servers.
I have a track from Google Play Music which I kept from when beta testing pre-release MediaMonkey.

Here is what that track looks like.

As you say, the track may be tricked up by falsely upgrading it, but I doubt it.
The Internet is all over the place on this issue.
There are lots of people of people claiming that premium YTM sounds the real deal to them.
Unfortunately my hearing is not up to the task. :(
richiefinger wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:25 am put some of your flac files into the "fakin' the funk" app and see what it says.
I went to do that, but my security monitoring s/w said not to go there, so I didn't.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
richiefinger

Post by richiefinger »

Sorry my comments about quality were replying to Ian.
Streaming YouTubeMusic Premium costs me a £1 a month, and I have it more for reference then actually listening , so I'm more than happy with mp3 quality for that price.

I listen to music for about 8 to 10 hours a day through KRK studio monitors. My playlists have about 2-3% mp3 tracks, the rest are lossless. My ears will notice its an mp3 about 80% of the time. I'm getting to that age where that might not be for much longer!!! :(