Media keys not working

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

sphawk

Media keys not working

Post by sphawk »

I have a keyboard Drevo Tyrfing V2 and the media keys 99% of the time doesn't work.
When i open MM5 and I click on Play, for key Next and Previous work.
When i click on Play/Pause, the song is paused and the keys stop works :o
Lowlander

Re: Media keys not working

Post by Lowlander »

Which Build (Help > About) of MediaMonkey? Does it work successfully in other applications?

Please verify that the media keys are properly set as Hotkeys under Tools > Options > Hotkeys.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Try also to remap Play/Pause key in MM hotkeys.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Kodijack

Post by Kodijack »

I have the same problem. Hotkeys rarely work at all. No matter what I set them to, global or local. They don't even work right IN MM. Also doesn't matter if i bind the media-keys or ANY "normal" keys.

If use global keyhooks in my own tools they work, I was already thinking of doing my own mediamonkey-key-proxy :-)
But that's kinda silly, but this problem was always existent with MM and is quite annoying. As MM is literally the only program I would actually use the media-keys on my keyboard.
Is there ANY workaround? It was the same with MM4 for me (don't remember MM1-3 in that regard).
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Which Build (Help > About) and what keyboard?
Kodijack

Post by Kodijack »

5.0.4.2690 and currently a Logitech g815.
But the problem persists for years now and a lot of different keyboards.
I tried everything regarding remapping, restarting and whatnot.
Currently Win11, but the problem annoyed me in win10, 8.1, 8 and probably even before :D

Sadly it's the worst kind of "bug". It sometimes work and then just stops. No idea how to reproduce it.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I personally have G910 and Latest Logitech G HUB 2023.8 and have no issues (except that Software is BS, LGS was way better) and same thing with my previous G19s, G15, G11 keyboards using LGS.

I suspect that it is something on your system a bit specific that results in non working effect, but unless it is constant and not sporadically showing then we can do something in order to get to bottom of the problem.

EDIT: Note that I have considerable Collection of Media Keyboards/Remotes (one even have 23 Extended keys, excluding Logitech G 11/15 that have 54 Macro keys), but have found no issues.
Best regards,
Peke
Kodijack

Post by Kodijack »

Absolutely. LG software sucks bigtime, LGS was WAY better. I miss that. Why do they always have to do this?! Just to be "modern". Ugh.

Yet. I always thought it's system-specific, but how could it be? Everything else with global hooks works fine 100% reliably all the time, even my own crap (and I'm no good coder).
MM though does not (in only that regard!) since as long as i can remember. And I have no idea why. Did an absolute fresh new install with MM5 back then, hoping that problem would finally go extinct. But it's still extant :-)

I know, you can't do anything when everything works flawlessly with you.

Only things I might think of that might differ from a regular user:

- Win11?
- running not from %programfiles% but elevated from a custom location?
- other globalhooks, but none uses handled=true.
- on a domain not workgroup
- mostly using hibernate instead of shutdown/reboot

PS: No rant at all, I love MM :-)
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Kodijack wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:30 pm Absolutely. LG software sucks bigtime, LGS was WAY better. I miss that. Why do they always have to do this?! Just to be "modern". Ugh.
Yeah, completely understand, G HUB is just modern, no way to add your own integration (Have not found any SDK for it). Where unlike LGS was perfect (you can see it from KB article Below) and from a tutorial video I created when built Radio Mixer controller hardware at https://www.happymonkeying.com/xxxtest/ ... torial.wmv on my G15
Have you tried PreferLLhook option from https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... dont-work/ ?

Only thing that I see can influence is Elevated start when stupid G Hub uses/handle commands in non elevated mode :(
Maybe other globalhooks do not parse unhandled commands to other apps. Do you have any app where it does not work correctly?
Best regards,
Peke
Kodijack

Post by Kodijack »

Peke wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:26 pm Yeah, completely understand, G HUB is just modern, no way to add your own integration (Have not found any SDK for it). Where unlike LGS was perfect (you can see it from KB article Below) and from a tutorial video I created when built Radio Mixer controller hardware at [link] on my G15
Oh yes, video looks cool! and the g15 was one the best. I got mine up until recently. Just the display, sawed everything else off, but I loved the display :-) And it's still working. And you had a nice SDK too.

Peke wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:26 pm Have you tried PreferLLhook option from https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... dont-work/ ?
I tried that back in the days, didn't help, but I'll give it another shot. Everything is better than making my own proxy/relay/whatever :-)

Peke wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:26 pm Only thing that I see can influence is Elevated start when stupid G Hub uses/handle commands in non elevated mode :(
Maybe other globalhooks do not parse unhandled commands to other apps. Do you have any app where it does not work correctly?
Sadly no. Everything with global hooks works. Even stupid firefox starts some video in some tab. I have three selfmade apps running with global hooks, and they too work fine in every scenario. Foobar, steam and whatnot. None seems to consume the hook. As when I run my app it's probably the last in the chain to receive. But even with everything closed, it won't work.

BUT it seems to have something to do with Hibernate? No I did a "real" shutdown last night and now it works again. Could that be an issue? Though my hooks don't care for sleep/wake. I don't listen for that and don't refresh the hooks. Dunno if MM listens to awake-wndproc and maybe does something then?