2813 Now Playing

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Rob_S

2813 Now Playing

Post by Rob_S »

Observations so far

With the "player" default setting "clear list and play selected and subsequent" and default action to play now.

1) Double-click a track in the main window clears the now playing list, and adds the entire contents of the main window to now playing

2) Similarly, Right-click play now on a single track clears the list, and adds the entire current contents of the main window to now playing

3) Right-click play now on multiple selected tracks clears the now playing list and insert only the selected tracks.

I'm OK with this behavior, only possible issue would be - If I should want to clear the list and insert only the single selected track, how would I do that?

I like that it unshuffles my list when I unselect shuffle mode. Only issue is if I loaded the list with shuffle mode on, it does not remember the original order.

Could this conceivably be improved so even if I load shuffled it can recall the original order? In other words, if I have a selection in the main window, shuffle mode is on, and I select play now, it would clear the list, load into now playing in the displayed order, set that as original, and then shuffle the list?
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Peke

Re: 2813 Now Playing

Post by Peke »

Rob_S wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:26 pm I'm OK with this behavior, only possible issue would be - If I should want to clear the list and insert only the single selected track, how would I do that?
You need to change "clear list and play selected and subsequent" -> "clear list and play selected only" then 1 and 2 will work like that. You can't have both. Right click -> Play Now is same as Double click on single track unless you set different play now action.
Rob_S wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:26 pm Could this conceivably be improved so even if I load shuffled it can recall the original order? In other words, if I have a selection in the main window, shuffle mode is on, and I select play now, it would clear the list, load into now playing in the displayed order, set that as original, and then shuffle the list?
This is already on To-Do and further improvements will come thru. We could not fully test all cases until this part (one implemented in 2813) are added. Now it is much clear and more tweaks are coming. Please add any observations and ideas freely, this is new to us as it is to you and we have ideas to make things much much better.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

You need to change "clear list and play selected and subsequent" -> "clear list and play selected only" then 1 and 2 will work like that. You can't have both. Right click -> Play Now is same as Double click on single track unless you set different play now action.
You are right - the option to clear and play selected only works as expected.

So maybe just a possible mis-interpretation for play selected and subsequent:

- double-click or single selection right-click play now in fact plays "entire list (shuffled or not)" and not only the subsequent.

- for multi-selection right-click play now it plays selected only and not any subsequent - same as selected only.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Rob_S wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:10 pm - for multi-selection right-click play now it plays selected only and not any subsequent - same as selected only.
It always worked like that, because when you have multi selection MM knows that you only want to manipulate selection now subsequent tracks. Only problem is with single Double click, so we introduced another parameter if MM is playing and if MM is not playing which can influence behavior eg. for me I have set if MM playing then Play Now will add track last on list and if not Clear+Play selected only. SO finally in combination to Shortcuts and context menu you can mostly control everything.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MattTown

Post by MattTown »

I find the behaviour of adding the entire main screen list when 'play now action' has been set to "play selected and subsequent" to be anomalous. I understand the term "subsequent" to mean "after the current item", which in the context of the MM main list should clearly be all of the tracks below the selected tracks, and should specifically exclude all of those those above the selected tracks.

Ultimately, this is just a matter of semantics but I suggest that it is confusing to first time users if the application does not do what it states it will do.

If you want to retain the current behavior (i.e. have "... + subsequent" add all of the tracks in the main list instead of only those lower down the list) then I suggest replacing the word "subsequent" with the phrase "all others in the list", because that is what is actually happening.

I suspect that some vague problems I have had in the past have been due to the now playing list becoming extremely long. When my main list shows "all tracks" it has 25K entries. If I didn't have "clear tracks" set for "play now" then this could easily go above 100K entries in the now playing list, and may have happened to me in the past. I don't know whether you have stress tested MM5 for huge now playing lists, but you might like to experiment with it on behalf of your users.

Cheers
Matt
MM 2024.3003 (WEF 9 Mar 2024, Portable Mode), Gold lifetime license, user since 2009.
Currently 25K files. Library and music files are on a separate partition (E:\) on external USB drive.
Windows Surface Book (Original), i5, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD.
Win10 Home 64 bit, update: 22H2 19045.3570
MMA 2.0.0.1103, Android 13 on Nokia XR20, music files on SD card.