5.1 - Sync not respecting Cover Image Type [#20158]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Kilo

5.1 - Sync not respecting Cover Image Type [#20158]

Post by Kilo »

Hi all,

Something that I have noticed since using 5.1 is that whenever I sync my library now to my devices, the sync is not respecting the album cover art image type. In my instance, I have to set all my cover image types to None/Other for my car to display the covers. However, in 5.1 now, I have noticed that whenever I sync my library, all of my cover art image types on my files change from None to Front Cover. I've tested a few things. If I sync over one or two tracks, the cover type appears to sync over correctly. If I have to sync over 100 tracks or my entire library, none of the types sync over correctly.

I am currently on 2810 where this is happening but I checked a USB hard drive that I synced my library on 2807 and it also has this issue.
Lowlander

Re: 5.1 - Sync not respecting Cover Image Type

Post by Lowlander »

To confirm, where does this change take place? For the Synced files or for the files on your PC (in MMW)? Do you have embedded or external Artwork and what File Type(s) are affected?
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:28 am To confirm, where does this change take place? For the Synced files or for the files on your PC (in MMW)? Do you have embedded or external Artwork and what File Type(s) are affected?
This change takes place on the synced files located at the target sync location. The source library files remain unaffected and are still tagged appropriately. All of my artwork is embedded and file types are all MP3. My artwork and sync setting options are below:
  • Save To Tag If Possible
  • Image Type: Not Specified
  • Copy Artwork To Filetags (having this option enabled makes no difference for this issue)
  • All other sync profile tagging options are disabled
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Does disabling Copy Artwork to file tags solve the issue for you?

Added as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=20158
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:51 pm Does disabling Copy Artwork to file tags solve the issue for you?

Added as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=20158
It does not unfortunately. I just did a new fresh sync with it disabled and got the same results.
Lowlander

Re: 5.1 - Sync not respecting Cover Image Type [#20158]

Post by Lowlander »

Strange, for me on 5.1 it did not change the Image Type with all the options disabled. Please capture this in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: viewtopic.php?t=86643
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:04 pm Strange, for me on 5.1 it did not change the Image Type with all the options disabled. Please capture this in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: viewtopic.php?t=86643
Interesting. I wish mine worked. I submitted ticket #6103 with a log file of sync to a USB flash drive that has the issue. All of the MP3s synced are affected after review of the sync. I hope it helps.
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

I have updated to 2811 and tried a fresh sync again. I encountered the same issue. I also see that the Mantis bug has been updated with a note that MMW5 is specifically coded to do this. I have a few concerns about this:
  • In 5.0.4.2690, I do not encounter this issue. Why does it work just fine on 2690? Was the artwork sync not working as intended in 2690? I would be happy to provide a log of it working correctly if it helps.
  • What is the point of even selecting the artwork cover types if MMW5 is just going to default them all after a sync and not respect the artwork type selection?
  • If MMW5 has to default artwork to support a 15 year old device, my device, which is newer, requires the artwork to be under a different type for the artwork to be read hence this issue. How is this supposed to work if it just gets defaulted? There is also no functionality to bulk manage artwork cover types to manage this issue inside MMW.
  • Can a toggle be created under the Sync Tagging section to bypass this limitation requirement? Can bulk artwork cover management also be added to help with this? Different devices require different requirements for artwork cover types, so perhaps it just needs to be up to the user to manage in MMW when it syncs, but there isn't a way to do this.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

2) Are you saying that if you set it to any other value than unspecified or front cover that it still gets reset?

3) What device can't handle cover front for Artwork?
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

Lowlander wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:28 pm 2) Are you saying that if you set it to any other value than unspecified or front cover that it still gets reset?

3) What device can't handle cover front for Artwork?
For your first question, they get reset when I sync them in bulk with 100+ files. I don't have a good setup or backup to do much testing and switching out artwork, but I tested syncing 20 tracks with the artcover set to 'Not Specified'. All of those synced over correctly and as expected as 'Not Specified'. I did another test where I synced 100 tracks and they all got reset to 'Cover Front'.

For your second question, my device is my car's infotainment system - Ford SYNC 2 / MFT. It requires artwork covers to be set to Other/Not Specified for it to be read.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

I checked the code and it is intentional to set the first cover to 'Front' as this is necessary for some devices (Nokia 5530 ExpressMusic).

This device isn't probably used much these days -- so we could remove the limitation.
On the other hand hard to say whether other devices wouldn't be affected..
car's infotainment system - Ford SYNC 2 / MFT. It requires artwork covers to be set to Other/Not Specified for it to be read.
Thaks, good to know and good reason to change it to respect the cover type, so re-opened https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=20158

Will be fixed in the next build 5.1.0.2812
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

I've retested this issue in 2814 and now 2817. There still seems to be something off. If Convert Artwork and Max Size options in the sync are enabled, the cover art that gets converted has the Cover Image Type reset back to the default Cover (Front) / Front Cover option. If artwork doesn't get converted, the image type is respected, as expected.

Another strange thing that I found that I can't really figure out is that the cover art that gets reset during the sync also gets changed in my MediaMonkey library. When I verify and try to change the artwork types in MP3Tag back to what they should be, they show up correct in MP3Tag in my library location and there is nothing for me to update. My library is also synced up and up to date so I don't think it's a sync issue. Why would they show up changed in MediaMonkey but not MP3Tag?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'm unable to reproduce on 2817. Set Artwork to Not specified and after Sync with Artwork conversion the Artwork still shows as Not Specified. Were the problem files previously Synced already?

Please capture this problem in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: viewtopic.php?t=86643
Kilo

Post by Kilo »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:44 am I'm unable to reproduce on 2817. Set Artwork to Not specified and after Sync with Artwork conversion the Artwork still shows as Not Specified. Were the problem files previously Synced already?

Please capture this problem in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: viewtopic.php?t=86643
I retested on 2821 and still encountered some issues. These problem files are newly synced. I submitted a ticket with debug and device log files and further details under 6454.