RegEx on mp3 tags?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

YetAnotherLondonder

RegEx on mp3 tags?

Post by YetAnotherLondonder »

With MediaMonkey4, there was a brilliant addon for regular expression operations on mp3 tags:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... lit=regexp

That addon is not being ported to MMW5 - in fact, some users are refusing to upgrade for that reason alone.

My question is: if you can no longer do it from within MediaMonkey, how would you achieve something similar outside of MMW5? Ie what tools would you recommend to do the same in an external software?

The only tool I have found so far is mp3tag.
MMFrLife

Re: RegEx on mp3 tags?

Post by MMFrLife »

YetAnotherLondonder wrote:That addon is not being ported to MMW5
Where are you getting that. Is there an outright declaration, one way or the other, in the forum or author's site that you can point to?

The following is from the Compatibility section of the author's addon page:

"...If you really like my add-on and think that it is essential for your work with the program, you should stay with MM4. Or you could wait for me to port the add-on to MM5, but my interest for that depends only on donations." Learn more
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
YetAnotherLondonder

I'll rephrase to be clearer:

as of today, 4-Jul-2023:

* the regex addon does not work with MMW5

* AFAIK the only declaration by the author is the one you reported above, so I cannot rule out that the addon will be ported, but nor can I be sure it will be ported by a given date. It may happen, it may not happen, we do not know

* in light of the above, it makes sense that someone who finds the addon crucial in their workflow remain with MMW4 and does not upgrade. There are a few comments on the forum along these lines

Back to my original point, my question was: does any one know of an alternative to do what the addon does, but outside of MediaMonkey?
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

You are right, there is no guarantee. But I believe it will come to fruition.
At the same time, I was curious that maybe something was said/announced and I missed it.
Thanks for the clarification.

I know of nothing like it nor of anything remotely similar for my needs (just to get by in the meantime with MM5).

There are some renamers that are capable of changing tags, and maybe mp3tag. Are there
presets with that, and/or a need of thorough coding knowledge?

Can you give some indication of the level of complexity you need?

If anyone knows of such a beast, or anything close, I would be interested in knowing about it. :wink:
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
YetAnotherLondonder

TBH my needs are fairly limited. I'd like an automated way of cleansing tags, but nothing too advanced. What I have in mind is something like populating Album Artist with Artist where the songs meet certain criteria, reformat the tags (especially foreign characters and accents), etc.

I know my way around Python and, when I have time, I'd be curious to learn about this: https://methodmatters.github.io/editing ... in-python/

I know that MusicBee uses RegEx, especially in combination with VirtualTags, but I haven't had time to look into it https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=38817.0
Maybe one could use MusicBee to change some tags, then re-scan the files into the MediaMonkey library? Of course this works only if the changes are saved in the file tags, and not only in the MusicBee database
TheEmpathicEar

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

I would like to be able to populate Album Artist with Artist or vice-versa if possible?
Peke

Post by Peke »

TheEmpathicEar wrote: ↑Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:57 pm I would like to be able to populate Album Artist with Artist or vice-versa if possible?
Have you tried https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... ap-fields/ ?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I know it is not single addon, but it could be useful to check https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... g-editing/
Best regards,
Peke
TheEmpathicEar

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

Peke wrote: ↑Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:20 pm
TheEmpathicEar wrote: ↑Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:57 pm I would like to be able to populate Album Artist with Artist or vice-versa if possible?
Have you tried https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... ap-fields/ ?
Yes. I forgot about this. I did use it on a couple of albums. I don't remember it having the ability to "Conditionally" do this? I only used it manually.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Oups, good pont on conditional. No ability ATM, but it is easy to mis as I also use it manually ;)
Best regards,
Peke
Solution

Post by Solution »

YetAnotherLondonder wrote: ↑Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:02 am how would you achieve something similar outside of MMW5? Ie what tools would you recommend to do the same in an external software?
How about MMW4 in portable mode with the mentioned addon?