Help understanding playlist - queue interactions

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Baxx

Help understanding playlist - queue interactions

Post by Baxx »

Hi, I've been using media monkey 4 previously, took a break and now using 5. However I'm very much in a simplified / old school mindset, like winamp etc. Therefore I'm confused about a few things related to playlist and queue (now playing) and how they interact.

1) Firstly, would it be possible to just use playlist and NOT play queue? I have all my songs there and don't really need play queue. However, whenever I play from playlist, I get the same list in queue, so not a big deal, just not needed.

2) When a song plays in queue, can I have it scroll to that same song in playlist?

3) When I search for song, can I have search scroll or filter based on play list? And show the results in playlist (or queue)?

4) Can I add songs directly to playlist? I think at the moment, I have to first add it to queue, then from queue to playlist? Or possibly other way around. Why can't I add songs directly to whatever the list is? Ie. drag-and-drop mp3 files.

Having some difficulties understanding this, if possible please provide reasons and benefits of how media monkey does this and how it's supposed to work in normal user experience.
Lowlander

Re: Help understanding playlist - queue interactions

Post by Lowlander »

1. No, Playing manages what's being played and works independently from Playlists. This allows you to add files, remove files, Shuffle all without affecting the Playlist.

2. Not automatically, but you can use a Hotkey (Tools > Options > Hotkeys) to jump to the playing file.

3. You can use Contextual search set to either filter or jump to.

4. Yes, you can Send to or Drag & Drop files directly to a Playlist. You can also open a Playlist in the Playlist window to have it permanently open while navigating your Library.
Baxx

Post by Baxx »

Thanks a bunch!

I'm struggling to understand Contextual Search. "When viewing files in the Filelisting you can type to start a contextual search shown right of the breadcrumbs navigation under the Main Menu."

What is Filelisting? What I want to do is search for files in playlist only/primarily.

About that synch view of playlist and queue, I thought it used to be like that in a previous version? At least the song in Playing highlights the same song in Playlist.

Edit: Ok using the top right search, I could press down arrow and get the "Search current view" which is exactly what I wanted. However that makes a new search box mid/left, but after the search it closes. Can I have that open permanently and close the other one?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Filelisting is where the files are shown, generally you'd view the Playlists here (unless you open them in a Playlist window): https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... Tracks/5.0

A file that is playing is highlighted whenever in view in the Filelisting. However MediaMonkey doesn't auto-jump to it in the Filelisting.

No, it can remain permanently open. You can re-open it by typing when in the Filelisting.
Baxx

Post by Baxx »

Thanks a bunch. I think MediaMonkey has changed some of these details from the previous version I used.