MMW5.1 - Casting to Google speakers no longer works [#20006]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

PeterHatoz

MMW5.1 - Casting to Google speakers no longer works [#20006]

Post by PeterHatoz »

MMW 5.1.0.2803

This actually applies to MMW 5.0.4.2690 also.

I can no longer cast to any of my Google speakers. MM gives the message "The 'Bedroom Speaker' player is turned off or inaccessible".

Prior to this there are status messages "Connecting to Bedroom Speaker", then "Buffering on Bedroom Speaker".

There used to be a pause between these two messages during which the speaker would "pling" to indicate a successful connection ... this no longer happens.

I've tried reverting to previous betas of MMW 5.0 after cleaning the drive of all MM folders, and also using a portable installation, but the same thing happens when I reinstall.

Since the same problem is occurring in both MMW 5.0 and 5.1, could this indicate a firmware/protocol change in the speaker?

Is anybody else having this problem?

NOTE: VLC continues to be able to cast, the same as it always has (with the "pling").
yarguy

Re: MMW5.1 - Casting to Google speakers no longer works

Post by yarguy »

My Chromecast speakers don't even show up in the cast list at all (2679). This has been a perennial problem with versions of 5, so much so that I seldom use MM anymore. Other music players have no problem casting to Chromecast so they get used.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Are you using Windows 11 or Windows 10?

Have you tried to Reset sharing settings like in some of methods explained here https://thegeekpage.com/cast-to-device-not-working/ or described at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17C_JYlqGWI
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

yarguy wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:19 am My Chromecast speakers don't even show up in the cast list at all (2679). This has been a perennial problem with versions of 5, so much so that I seldom use MM anymore. Other music players have no problem casting to Chromecast so they get used.
Chromecast Audio detection issues has been fixed as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19716 for 5.1 builds.

Could you please download and install 5.1.0.2803 from here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/beta/MediaM ... _Debug.exe
and confirm whether the issue is resolved or not?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

PeterHatoz wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:34 am MMW 5.1.0.2803

This actually applies to MMW 5.0.4.2690 also.

I can no longer cast to any of my Google speakers. MM gives the message "The 'Bedroom Speaker' player is turned off or inaccessible".

Prior to this there are status messages "Connecting to Bedroom Speaker", then "Buffering on Bedroom Speaker".

There used to be a pause between these two messages during which the speaker would "pling" to indicate a successful connection ... this no longer happens.

I've tried reverting to previous betas of MMW 5.0 after cleaning the drive of all MM folders, and also using a portable installation, but the same thing happens when I reinstall.

Since the same problem is occurring in both MMW 5.0 and 5.1, could this indicate a firmware/protocol change in the speaker?

Is anybody else having this problem?

NOTE: VLC continues to be able to cast, the same as it always has (with the "pling").
Can you please generate debug log of this (using 5.1.0.2803) and attach to eSupport ticket for analyzing, see item 4B here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643

Thanks!
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

Ludek wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:03 am
yarguy wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:19 am My Chromecast speakers don't even show up in the cast list at all (2679). This has been a perennial problem with versions of 5, so much so that I seldom use MM anymore. Other music players have no problem casting to Chromecast so they get used.
Chromecast Audio detection issues has been fixed as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19716 for 5.1 builds.

Could you please download and install 5.1.0.2803 from here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/beta/MediaM ... _Debug.exe
and confirm whether the issue is resolved or not?
I did download and install 5.1 2803. And the answer is - no you didn't solve the problem. Only the video chromecasts appear in the list. No other program fails to find the audio chromecasts. This has been a consistent failure of MM5 since its first release. That and the inability of MM5 to properly deal with classical music is why it gathers digital dust in my system.
PeterHatoz

Post by PeterHatoz »

I used 5.1.0.2803 for my original posting, and I'm using Windows 10 with all latest updates.

Note that the subject line is no longer works ... yes, sometimes it took a while for the list of renderers to be populated, but actual casting to them has always worked. Now, I only get the error message (both in MMW 5.1 and 5.0). I've tried this on a laptop using wifi and a desktop using ethernet. I have recently replaced my router, but all other apps continue to cast without issues.

Note: In other apps, the workflow seems to be ...
  • user selects renderer from list
  • connection to renderer happens with confirmation "pling"
  • user selects track and clicks play
  • streaming starts
  • if play is never selected (or after play finishes) the renderer is disconnected after a timeout
However, in MM5, when the renderer is selected, nothing happens until the play button is pressed, and then it appears to stay "connected" forever. This behaviour feels wrong ... connection should happen when renderer is selected to confirm availability. Also, it seems like the timeout is not working. The connection should not be treated as persistent, but should be tested and reestablished each time if necessary before streaming starts.
PeterHatoz

Post by PeterHatoz »

Ludek wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:50 am Can you please generate debug log of this (using 5.1.0.2803) and attach to eSupport ticket for analyzing, see item 4B here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
Ticket #5843 created. Thanks.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Thanks, we found the cause/problem with user from another ticket,
will be fixed as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=20006 for the next 5.1 build
cleaner

Re: MMW5.1 - Casting to Google speakers no longer works [#20006]

Post by cleaner »

I am experiencing this same issue.
I am on version5.0.4.2690

I looked at the ticket and it says that it is fixed in 5.1.0.2804.
When is that build or one containing the fix being released?
Is there anything to do in the meantime?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
You can simply install latest version of MM 5.1 from http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 86639&sd=d and make it portable installation, which will not interfere with your normal installation, but on first start you can import MM5 library so it will have same information as normal install and you can test casting to google speakers.
Best regards,
Peke
Davo

Post by Davo »

Same problem with latest build 2810. Also BubbleUpNp fails to connect
David

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Hmm, strange. Ca you please open support ticket, so that we can approach it more directly in next few days?
Best regards,
Peke
fraserp

Post by fraserp »

Hi Peke and all

UPDATE TO MY POST BELOW. ...... INSTALLING 5.1.0.2811 SEEMS TO HAVE FIXED THE PROBLEM :) GREAT JOB GUYS.

Just to add to the thread. I have had the "... inaccessible or turned off" error off and on now for months. Currently running 5.0.4.2690 on Windows 11. I have mostly Google branded speakers (or genuine Google chromecast audio plugged into stereo aux plug) and one Samsung soundbar which connects to my google home via Samsung Smarthings (not sure if that is relevant). I do frequently have problems accessing the soundbar while all google speakers generally work OK.

Yesterday I could play from MM on Windows 11 to any speaker. BUT, this morning all my Google (and Chromecast) speakers get the ".....inaccessible or turned off" error and the only speaker that will play is the Samsung Soundbar. This happened about a week ago as well. From my phone (connected to the same WIFI) I can cast from YouTube music to any speaker in the house so they are all visible on the network.

A couple of other observations that might be of assistance:
1. In my speaker picklist from MM, I have an option for one called "Mobile Speaker" which hasn't been turned on for over a week.
2. My MMRemote5 (which I haven't used for a while) on mobile phone is getting the error "Can't connect to server"
3. Yesterday the "media Server" in my Pioneer Amp (which may be a DLNA?) did not appear in the speaker list (so I plugged a chromecast audio into the Aux port) to play to it.

So, in my scenario the issue is intermittent, and I can't resolve what has changed.
Hope this helps ;)
Regards Fraser
RoyMotteram

Post by RoyMotteram »

Peke wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:03 am Hi,
You can simply install latest version of MM 5.1 from http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 86639&sd=d and make it portable installation, which will not interfere with your normal installation, but on first start you can import MM5 library so it will have same information as normal install and you can test casting to google speakers.
This has fixed it for me. Casting to a group of Google devices (display & 2 Chromecast Audio) works perfectly. Many thanks to the team.