No automatic rescan and no button to force it

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

philaupatte

No automatic rescan and no button to force it

Post by philaupatte »

Hi,
I have MM5 on one computer as a reference media library then around on other computers, on TV, on Mobile I have various applications fully independent : MediaMonkey MM5, Plex, FooBar2000, OneMusic (Onedrive)

On side I have a personal developed Powershell application updating automatically all this stuff making all fully inline.

My problem is on MM5 Android. It is pointing to an internal storage folder called: /storage/emulated/0/Media/Ma Musique

Once this folder is updated with new song(s) and/or new playlist(s) and/or updated playlist(s), MM5 does not show them. No way to rescan folder, I have removed it within MM5 and add it again but no good. The only way is to uninstall fully MM5 Android then reinstall then reselect folder location and updates appear.

Is there a way to rescan "automatically or manually" pointed local folder?

Many thanks.
tmac

Re: No automatic rescan and no button to force it

Post by tmac »

Try stopping and restarting MMA, it appears to scan as it starts... I had same problem but stop/start worked for me, cheers
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can manually start a rescan with check for new/changed media.

How are you making changes to the content of the folder on your Android device?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Updates are handled by Google Media Scanner not MMA. In MMA 2 you can manually initiare Scan for changes. but best way to ensure tracks are updated is that new tracks are transfered during sync not manualy added in folders.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
philaupatte

Post by philaupatte »

tmac wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:29 am Try stopping and restarting MMA, it appears to scan as it starts... I had same problem but stop/start worked for me, cheers
Hi, Many thanks, I really appreciate. I did it, even switch off my mobile (Galaxy S20 5G SM-G981B/DS) without any success at the time being.
philaupatte

Post by philaupatte »

Lowlander wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:12 am You can manually start a rescan with check for new/changed media.

How are you making changes to the content of the folder on your Android device?
Hi, many thanks, I really appreciate. I use this option, but result is a bit inconsistent. For example: I have loaded automatically within my storage: "/storage/emulated/0/Media/Ma Musique/Colin James/leave This House"
the file: "Colin James-Leave This House-01-Leave This House [by Colin James]"
"%albumArtist%-Album-Track#-TrackName [by %Artist]"

This file is perfectly operational on my MM5 music repository with good tags.

After rescanning I have 2 problems in MM2
1 - Tags do not correspond, Title and Artist(s) are correct, but Album and Album artist(s) are different. I check directly the file stored within my storage: "/storage/emulated/0/Media/Ma Musique/Colin James/leave This House" and it is good. It is only what shows MM2 that is wrong.
2 - Playlist are not refreshed. I have 101 songs in the M3U file and MM2 shows only 100 songs.

About "How are you making changes ..."

Well, I do not pretend my organization is "TOPISIM" however it really fit my needs in terms of management and automatism.
I am a music and a ballroom dance lover.

I have MM5 on a laptop that is my reference repository, which is very square, working magically.
Around I have:
Devices - QNAP NAS, Mobile, TV, Shield NVIDIA, PC's
Server - PLEX
Applications - MM2, MusicFolderPlayerFull, FooBar2000, OneMusic

All this little world is kept up to date via a personal Powershell application that makes everything inline and much much more. This application is using RCLONE, SFTP, FTP, WinSERV and HTML url (PLEX).

As I said I did it for 4/5 years back to fit my needs. One of them is to get %GENRE% within the %TITLE%
Regarding my previous example: TITLE is:
[Rock] Leave This House
philaupatte

Post by philaupatte »

Peke wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:13 pm Hi,
Updates are handled by Google Media Scanner not MMA. In MMA 2 you can manually initiare Scan for changes. but best way to ensure tracks are updated is that new tracks are transfered during sync not manualy added in folders.
Hi, many thanks, I really appreciate. You're right. and yes, best way would have been to use Sync, however. the music library of my mobile (MM2) is only a subset of my music repository library (MM5). In fact, the songs on my mobile are only the one founds in my playlists to avoid overload mobile internal storage memory.

However, your comment pushes me on internet and Playstore is proposing an application called: mediaRe.Scan.
It does the job. After rescanning the view of my tags on MM2 has been changed but, playlist(s) is/are still not refreshed.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

With Sync you select what is Synced from MMW to MMA. It can be a single Playlist if you set it so.

Otherwise, as Peke mentioned, you rely on Android Media Scanner reading tags/changes.
philaupatte

Post by philaupatte »

Lowlander wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:06 am With Sync you select what is Synced from MMW to MMA. It can be a single Playlist if you set it so.

Otherwise, as Peke mentioned, you rely on Android Media Scanner reading tags/changes.
Hi, interesting point, indeed. As you may have read others replies, tags from my MM5 repository and tags from my mobile MM2 are slightly different.
On MM5 TITLE tag is standard as on MM2 I have done a change (automatic) to include GENRE.
Examples:
I Don'T Give A Damn by Alvin Lee on MM5 will be
[Rock] I Don'T Give A Damn on MM2

Boogaflow by Sr Ortegon on MM5 will be
[Cha Cha Cha] Boogaflow on MM2

This behavior is used for dancing class purpose. So, I cannot SYNC tracks (files) but playlists can be synchronized. So I take your point and I will do a test next week as this weekend is dedicated to dance.

Many many thanks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Playlist can't be Synced on their own, it always includes a Sync of the files. This includes overwriting tags for files already Synced to the device.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Personally I have all unselected except few playlists and it s content to be synced.
I have number of playlists named like School Driving, Daughter Favs, Long Drive, Running, Gym, Work, Relaxing, ....
That way I have both MM5 and MMA playlist (Taken from your example):
ROCK -> Contain track I Don'T Give A Damn by Alvin Lee
Cha Cha Cha -> Containing Boogaflow by Sr Ortegon

So I navigate MMA using Playlist. Also I have set that on SYNC MMA created Playlists are synced back to MM5 so if I Find I want to sync across my devices (Phone, Car Head Unit, ...) I create Playlist "Fav Tracks" and select that oen on all of my device profiles.

Benefit of that approach is that not just I have tracks I need in order I need (Have several Party session Playlists) that I can easily access and navigate I also do not need to change track metadata to find them.

This also prevent duplicates as same track can be in multiple playlists.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
philaupatte

Post by philaupatte »

Hi,
Sorry having be a bit long, however, your comments make me doubtful on how I use MediaMonkey.

Therefore, I use MediaMonkey Android MM2 as it should behave.

So Now regarding MediaMonkey's I have following architecture:
  • A ThinkPad that is my reference music repository and a Powershell application spreading music on PC, Mobile's, NAS, OneDrive, Plex, ....
  • Now on my PC I have two MediaMonkey's. One "normal" being used to listen music on it (as before) and a new portable version being a subset of my reference music repository (Only Music of the playlists and ID3 Tags having been reworked automatically. [TITLE] tag i set as : [%genre%] %title%
  • On my mobile I have uninstalled MediaMonkey MM2, remove MediaMonkey directories as mentioned on the Forum, reinstalled MediaMonkey MM2 then I have settled synchronization (music and playlists) between MM5 portable (PC) and MM2 (Android)
It works magic. MM2 is perfectly in line now.

I really thank all of you for helps and patience.