Sync Only Playlists to Android From MMW4

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

plain

Sync Only Playlists to Android From MMW4

Post by plain »

When syncing playlists from PC to phone does MMW4 also add the track? So that if your phone already has the track then after you sync you will have duplicates? I only want to sync playlists since my music is already on my phone. It's just very tedious to make playlists on the phone. I started syncing playlists but since MMW4 was acting like it was thinking about each track I stopped because I don't want duplicate tracks. Also, if the track isn't already on the phone will MMW4 add the track when syncing the playlist?

I've looked for this explicit question on the site but couldn't find anything that appeared to answer.
plain

If it ain't broke ...give me two minutes with it.
IanRTaylorUK

Re: Sync Only Playlists to Android From MMW4

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi Plain,

I only use Playlists to synchronise my devices. I have used MMW4 in the past and currently using MMW5 - essentially the same behaviour for both. The synchronisation using Playlists will add the tracks of / within the Playlist BUT it will not duplicate the tracks.

So, if for example, you have an album playlist for a particular Artist and a few tracks are rated 4 star or 5 star PLUS you have added a Genre "Instrumental" then the track is added only ONCE despite having an (auto?) Playlist for both Instrumental tracks and another (auto?) Playlist for 4 star / 5 star rated tracks!

In the Device & Services section the synchronisation profile for the device has "Sync Playlists" selected and I have found it best to use "Force Relative Paths", "Linux Folder Separator", "UTF-8 Encoding" and "Extended M3U". I use the directory \Playlists\ as the destination. Incidentally, this is at the same level in the hierarchy as "\Music\" more specifically the device has:
  • Audiobooks
    Clasical
    Music
    Playlists
    Podcasts
    TV
    Video
I prefer this as it can make things easier if I view the device and want to "count" the number of M3Us etc.

I recommend that you also keep a backup of your Playlists. This is built in the MMW5 but is best using an Add-On with MMW4. I use Zvezdan's "Export/Import Playlist for Child Nodes". I also recommend that you check your Playlists in MMW to make sure they are populated and as expected and not too many tracks (for Auto lists).

Last tip would be to prefix certain Playlist names e.g. # prefix for Auto Lists; $ prefix for my own (non-album) compilations.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by IanRTaylorUK on Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Taylor
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
As clarification to Ian who explained all, if your track are already on the phone, first WiFi Sync search for those same tracks in MM library and do not reupload them to phone if match is found. Unfortunately those that are not found are uploaded to maintain pairing to MM library and not to reupload them again. If all is correct usually only few tracks are reuploaded. Bad thing is taht in MM% we improved pairing process number of times and not so sure how MM4 will accurately pair the tracks.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
plain

Post by plain »

Okay Thanks Guys:
I also have MM5 so can probably try which one is easier. I guess one thing that lessens the work is deleting duplicates by album art. At least that is how I did this yesterday when I took the chance to sync a playlist. I appreciate the help.
plain

If it ain't broke ...give me two minutes with it.