Volume Leveling

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

Zonky

Re: Volume Leveling

Post by Zonky »

Not_tech_savy wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:29 pm Also that mp3million site seems hella shady. Try buying a song you got from that site (that's not being leveled correctly) on iTunes and see if that works better
So if this is true, can I somehow re-encode all purchased tracks from that shop, using any bulk processing software? If so, which one?
Not_tech_savy

Post by Not_tech_savy »

Zonky wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:00 am
Not_tech_savy wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:29 pm Also that mp3million site seems hella shady. Try buying a song you got from that site (that's not being leveled correctly) on iTunes and see if that works better
So if this is true, can I somehow re-encode all purchased tracks from that shop, using any bulk processing software? If so, which one?
No, if the source file is bad all you can do is find a better source. I've gotten plenty of music from shady sources. Now that I some extra money, if the volume sounds off on a song I'll by the same one one on i-tunes and listen side by side. Usually the shady copy is my problem.
Also try one of those frequency test for your age group
MMW5 - 2690 beta Gold
MMA2 - 1073 beta Pro
Phone - S23 Ultra - liked the S21 Ultra more
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

But how do you define bad? The bitrate is set to 320bit for all recently purchased tracks. Guess you fid not meant this, correct?
Not_tech_savy

Post by Not_tech_savy »

Zonky wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:27 am But how do you define bad? The bitrate is set to 320bit for all recently purchased tracks. Guess you fid not meant this, correct?
I feel that the site your using is just you paying someone to torrent music for you. And I've learned just cause it says the bitrate is 320 doesn't mean it actually is. They could be legit or they could have tons of super low quality copies that they convert to higher quality before selling it too you.
- Converting low quality audio to high doesn't improve the sound at all but will make it appear to be a high quality copy.

I don't trust that site with my cc info or I'd buy some music to do comparisons with.
Itunes is my baseline with torrented music. If a song doesn't sound right I buy the same one off iTunes listen to them side by side and generally the itunes version sounds better.

Volume leveling goes over my head. There are tones and frequencies that some people hear better or worse than others. Depending on when your version of a song was made it could have been using a shitty encoder, or could be in the loudness war Era. Equalizer settings can effect it. Your speakers could be the problem as well. I don't think any volume leveler can account for everything. I was annoyed too but after researching it there's a lot that goes into digital audio.
MMW5 - 2690 beta Gold
MMA2 - 1073 beta Pro
Phone - S23 Ultra - liked the S21 Ultra more
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

Thanks again for your reply, highly appreciated!

Of course the whole music and especially MP3 thingy is highly technical, which I really don't care or at least won't deal with it, as most others won't either.

I just want to listen to the music and it happens that listening those tracks within my car (Skoda Karoq model 2021, Amundsen infotainment), connected my smartphone with Android Auto, some tracks are louder, others not.
I would like MMW to improve this experience, but obviously a had too high expectations. And I now understand this is although influenced by the used encoding tools and much more.

OTH, this is most probably not a hardware or speaker issue. It happens all time when I'm listening to my playlist, synchronized to the smartphone using MMA and MMW. And this is really annoying when I have to adjust the volume each time the track changes.

To get a step further, I now tried to find the folder where MMW stores all of its tracks after it finished synchronization with MMW. I would like to have access to this folder from Win10 to modify all of those tracks with MP3gain and adjust the volume level. I don't plan to modify the source files on Windows anyway.

Unfortunately I could not find the folder on the (Android) smartphone where those tracks are buried. The settings of MMW shows the path to the files, but for obvious reasons, I cannot access the folder from Windows nor from Android itself. I even cannot change the tracks location to point to the plugged in memory card.

So, no change right now to modify the tracks after they have been saved to the smartphone :-(
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

Since quite a few weeks I'm testing the Android app Omina, a mp3 player like MMA on Android Auto.

While using MMA for just synchronizing the files from PC to the smartphone, Omnia is now my default player on Android Auto.

Interestingly, this player does not have any issues with volume leveling at all. It just play each song after the other with the same volume level. Additionally, while running a playlist (Omnia can read the playlists, MMA synchronized to the phone), the overall volume is higher than the one MMA uses.

I did a direct comparison while in car and started MMA to get a current impression of the audio volume of several songs and started Omnia afterwards, playing the same songs again. I noticed a significantly difference in volume. No equalizer is active in both apps nor is there any volume leveling option in Omnia present nor is the available replay gain active.

IMO, still having the impression MMA does sthg. different than Omnia. At least I do not have to permanently increase or decrease the volume like I have to do with MMA.
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

Yes, OMNIA is a working alternative WITH volume output controls.
Very easy to set up: define the music files-folder and the playlist-folder.
Connect mobile phone to BOSE system via bluetooth.
MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation
OrdJFellow

Post by OrdJFellow »

Zonky wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:54 am Since quite a few weeks I'm testing the Android app Omina, a mp3 player like MMA on Android Auto.

While using MMA for just synchronizing the files from PC to the smartphone, Omnia is now my default player on Android Auto.
Thanks Guys.

This issue has been annoying me for years. I enabled literally every volume leveling option. Delete all files and resync several times, but to no avail.

In contrast, Omnia simply works.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Is that happen only when you connect on BOSE or Volume leveling do not work at all.

Also do track properties (Details tab) really contain Volume info in MM5 Server? I tested on 4 of my headphones and speakers and Volume leveling worked.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
OrdJFellow

Post by OrdJFellow »

Peke wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:37 am Is that happen only when you connect on BOSE or Volume leveling do not work at all.
There is a difference between tracks in general. Not just when using headphones. Messing around with the settings certainly had some impact, but if two outliers get played consecutively the gap in volume can still be large enough to give me a jump scare.

I've attached details tab screenshots of two outliers. There is no discernable difference in volume between these tracks when played with MM5.
Also do track properties (Details tab) really contain Volume info in MM5 Server? I tested on 4 of my headphones and speakers and Volume leveling worked.
https://ibb.co/1vWdht0
https://ibb.co/5n1h478
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you please open support ticket and supply us DL link to those two files for us to analyze.
Best regards,
Peke
OrdJFellow

Post by OrdJFellow »

Well I'm stumped.
I've been messing around for an hour, turning the leveling option off and on, uploading leveled track/tagged files to my phone and it seems to work flawlessly.

I'll open a ticket if I'm able to reliably recreate it.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
OrdJFellow wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:10 am Well I'm stumped.
I've been messing around for an hour, turning the leveling option off and on, uploading leveled track/tagged files to my phone and it seems to work flawlessly.

I'll open a ticket if I'm able to reliably recreate it.
I am relived to hear that, if it was proven correct it would be a bug for immediate fix. Glad that I'm not the only one not being able to replicate again.
Best regards,
Peke