Volume Leveling

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

martin.bohac

Re: Volume Leveling

Post by martin.bohac »

The option works when you play via MMA and not Android Auto. Android Auto is the external app that can only access tracks provided by MMA.
The volume leveling will work with your infotainment if you will play your tracks from MMA and the device will be connected via Bluetooth.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
As I explained in Ticket Honda also ignores gain index unles I level app tracks with recompressing during sync.

I have Android Gead Unit with both MMA and Android Auto installed, so when I start AA and use MM as player Tracks are leveled by Gain index. Liek Martin said it is on device side if it will work with sent Gain Index or not.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

Ok, so no chance for any perfect solution besides hard modifying each track?
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

Peke wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:05 pm I have Android Gead Unit with both MMA and Android Auto installed, so when I start AA and use MM as player Tracks are leveled by Gain index.
So, where does the conversion take place? Which device is responsible for the conversion process? The PC or the smartphone?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
MM on windows handle conversion before sync when you in Device profile enable Level tracks.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

Back after some days of testing.

Previously, I've activated the option in device profile to adjust the volume level during synchronization to my smartphone, 89dB, btw.
Unfortunately this does not work at all! While playing those tracks via Android Auto, some tracks come up with lower volume, some tracks with higher volume. I do not recognize a single more or less similar volume level so far.

I've mentioned a similar if not equal issue years ago, running MM4 https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 54#p452654

Now, MM5 obviously shows same behavior and does not modify the tracks prior synchronizing them to my smartphone. While using MM4, I had to use 3rd party tool to adjust the level after the tracks have been synchronized to a memory stick. However, I do not want to perform the same steps again with MM5.

So what's the best option to modify all tracks, MP3 btw, before they are copied to the smartphone?
Not_tech_savy

Post by Not_tech_savy »

Zonky wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:39 am Back after some days of testing.

Previously, I've activated the option in device profile to adjust the volume level during synchronization to my smartphone, 89dB, btw.
Unfortunately this does not work at all! While playing those tracks via Android Auto, some tracks come up with lower volume, some tracks with higher volume. I do not recognize a single more or less similar volume level so far.

I've mentioned a similar if not equal issue years ago, running MM4 https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 54#p452654

Now, MM5 obviously shows same behavior and does not modify the tracks prior synchronizing them to my smartphone. While using MM4, I had to use 3rd party tool to adjust the level after the tracks have been synchronized to a memory stick. However, I do not want to perform the same steps again with MM5.

So what's the best option to modify all tracks, MP3 btw, before they are copied to the smartphone?
Volume leveling works for me. Where are you getting your music from? Can't remember the one to look up I think it's encoded by? If it's a shitty encoder nothing will really fix it you'll have to a better version
MMW5 - 2690 beta Gold
MMA2 - 1073 beta Pro
Phone - S23 Ultra - liked the S21 Ultra more
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

Hi!

My music comes from mp3million

Don't know which encode they use, at least file properties do not give any hint. Or did you mean which encode MMW uses?

cu
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

Would like to come up again since I really do not see any real solution.

Neither volume levelling in MMW nor the device profile's option to adjust the volume to a certain value, does work reliable.

So, which additionally options do I have to get a constant replay volume upon all of my synchronised MP3 files, from MMW to MMA?

I'm open for all useful hints cause this is already getting annoying...

Thanks!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

In MMW you can enable Level Volume on the Device Profile and the files will be send levelled to the device.
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

That's the theory, however, this does not work reliable for some or all synchronised tracks. My impression is, it does not work at all.

I've set this option already, btw. Deleted all tracks from the smartphone in prior, including the playlist, and synchronized the appropriate playlist again, to no avail.

I saw this problem already with MM4 while synchronizing my tracks to a memory stick. This did not work either. Obviously the sync process did not even change any of those tracks at that time. I've checked the last modification date and time.

If this is applies to MM5, too, I cannot say for sure. Did not check any track if its modification date has been re- written during the synchronisation process to the smartphone.
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

Hi again!

Did some tests for volume leveling using the appropriate device profile setting.

My result so far: This does not work at all! So I'm open for any discussions on this topic and still open for any suggestions on how to get this job done at the end.
Maybe, I'm too stupid to get volume leveling running properly, but I guess that's not the case, since there are not many options that can be used.

Theses are the steps I've done, the number of the step is given in the attached screenshots:
1) Chosen a test mp3- file and noted the modification date: today at 10:09
2) Analysed the volume, using tool MP3gain: 100,3 dB
3) Used MP3gain and modified the volume level to about 74,7 dB
4) Checked the modification time: 10:10
5) Set up a new device profile for a plugged in memory stick: set volume level to100 dB (only for testing purposes of course ;-)
6) Synchronized this file to the memory stick and checked the modification time of the file, now on the stick: it's still 10:10(!)
7) Checked the volume level again, using MP3gain: still 74,7 dB(!)

Hence, there has absolutely no modification being done to the file! I expected the volume level to be at nearly 100dB.

I'm clueless right now on how this profile setting or volume leveling should work!
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

As soon as you tag with third-party software or change volume, you have to do the following in MM4/MM5:
Menu FILE> Add/Rescan files to the Library.

You don't need wxMP3Gain.
MM5: See TOOLS> Player ... Volume leveling!!

Only then synchronize.
I also synced to a stick. Everything OK.
Post by martin.bohac » 16 Feb 2022, 15:52
The option works when you play via MMA and not Android Auto. Android Auto is the external app that can only access tracks provided by MMA.
The volume leveling will work with your infotainment if you will play your tracks from MMA and the device will be connected via Bluetooth.
MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

Thanks Erwin for your reply!

First of all, if I do volume leveling a sjngle track or all of them and synchronizing the tracks with MMA, the infotainment (Skoda Amundsen, MIB3) or better Android Auto does not care about any adjustment to the volume. This has been conformed by the programmers of MediaMonkey. This means, since MMA integrates with Android Auto, I would like to use it and not connect MMA via blueetooth. This does not make any sense to me and is less convenient at the end.

As written above, even if I set up volume leveling in the device profile, which I assume this would modify each file instead of writing an MP3 attribute to the file, did not help either.

On the other hand, after modifying the test file externally, I've added it to the MM database, it wasn't there before, hence no need to rescan or similar. The database should already knew about the modified volume level by MP3gain, which was about 74dB.

IMO, MMW should now modify, the file before transferring it to the target device, since I've told MMW to do so in the device profile. unfortunately the volume level of the target file is still 74 dB, I expected about 100 dB.

As a conclusion, volume levelling does not work.

Edit: according to this Wiki page https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... veling/5.0 volume leveling should permanently modify a file to get a consistent volume level on any device. And exactly this is not the case. At least not when setting this option in device profile while synchronizing any tracks to the smartphone for example.
Not_tech_savy

Post by Not_tech_savy »

Here's a good article to start with https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war
Look through those blue links as well.

For the kind of volume leveling you want, try setting the equalizer to flat. It'll sound awful, but that'll take a lot out of the equation. Not just the file effects the sound, could be MM5, MMA, android auto, speakers/headphones
Also that mp3million site seems hella shady. Try buying a song you got from that site (that's not being leveled correctly) on iTunes and see if that works better
MMW5 - 2690 beta Gold
MMA2 - 1073 beta Pro
Phone - S23 Ultra - liked the S21 Ultra more